Builds Cummins R2.8 in 2nd gen 4Runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.cumminsrepower.com
I'm an engineer at Cummins on the Repower Program, and started my own personal Cummins R2.8 swap last night - it's going into a 2nd gen (1993) 4Runner to be my daily driver. I haven't gotten into anything too exciting just yet, just got the 3.0L pulled out to start cleaning up the engine bay. Transmission will come out tonight. My plan is to use a new AX15 from Advance Adapters along with the R2.8 to 4.0L Flywheel/housing adapter from Axis. Engine side mounts are also from Axis, and transfer case is up in the air - Atlas to bolt directly to the back of the AX15, or stick with Stock Toyota and source an adapter...

4Runner before.jpg

4runner after.jpeg

For now, I just need to figure out how to make the engine fit....

You can check out some of our latest adventures at: Cummins Repower Blog
Or my terrible acting at: Cummins Repower Garage
(hopefully I follow my own advice...)

Awesome! That engine is perfect for the 4Runner! Can't wait for your build.

Will you be mating the AX15 to the stock Toyota transfer case?

Why was the Aisin AX15 picked as the gear box vs say the similar Toyota R154 from a Supra or even a Toyota (Aisin) R151F out of turbo 4Runner's?

Cool project.

:cheers:

I was going to use the Toyota (Aisin) R150 that came in my 4runner, but it has 220k miles on it and I figured with the new engine, I might as well swap in a new transmission. I had the AX15 left over from another project, and with it being a very similar transmission anyway, I figured it was as good a fit as any of the other Aisin's that officially came in the Toyotas.

As far as the transfer case, once I get the trans and t-case pulled out I'll see what I can put together with a combination of the R150, AX15, and t-case parts vs what adapter I would need. I have an Atlas again from a previous project that will mate with the AX15, but its driver side drop so that either needs to get swapped to passenger side (possible) or do a solid axle swap (which I may need to do anyways based on clearance to the front diff from the oil pan)

I may be wrong, but I’ve heard you can swap the output shaft and tailhousing from the Toy tranny to the AX15. AX15 on the engine side, Toyota on the tcase side. That would negate the need for an adapter there.

Welcome to the forum! It's good to see someone from Cummins on here.

I may be wrong, but I’ve heard you can swap the output shaft and tailhousing from the Toy tranny to the AX15. AX15 on the engine side, Toyota on the tcase side. That would negate the need for an adapter there.
I've heard that too - once I get it all pulled apart I was going to see if I can make that work. Glad to hear that may be a possibility!

I think that a lot of us in the US secretly (or not so secretly) lust after the Toyota diesel options that never made it here. The R2.8 seems like the perfect option for swaps into a number of the Toyota vehicles.

I was so close to pulling the cord for the 2.8 but my tax bill was too high... I watch all your vid's. I really likes how you broke it down by system.

I will get this engine in the future. It will be amazing in the 4 door 40 series I have been dreaming of building for way too long...

What is your intent for the 4Runner when done? Daily driver, mudder, expo...

Thanks! I'm hoping to share my experience and get some good input from you guys on the Toyota side, but also answer any questions anyone has regarding the R2.8 :cool:

Were you involved in the design of the engine? What affordances and constraints were found during the design program? What is your history with Toyota vehicles?

Good work. This is a nice solution to many folks' need for a new repower option of the diesel flavor.

I didn't want to derail the thread with generic 2.8 questions, but it seems that you are open to them, sooo ...

I can't seem to find a adapter kit that will work behind the AW4/A340 ... any tips?
Also, if I were to go 6L80E, is there an adapter kit for the V2FA xfer case?

I was so close to pulling the cord for the 2.8 but my tax bill was too high... I watch all your vid's. I really likes how you broke it down by system.

I will get this engine in the future. It will be amazing in the 4 door 40 series I have been dreaming of building for way too long...

What is your intent for the 4Runner when done? Daily driver, mudder, expo...
It will mostly just be a daily driver (unless I'm forced to a solid axle swap due to fitment issues with the front diff) but I do want some capability to go offroad on some of the easier stuff

Were you involved in the design of the engine? What affordances and constraints were found during the design program? What is your history with Toyota vehicles?

Good work. This is a nice solution to many folks' need for a new repower option of the diesel flavor.
I wasn't involved in the base engine design - its actually an engine that's been in use overseas for the last 9 years, and therefore designed a couple years before that. However, I am responsible for the crate kitted components as well as engine calibration, specific to the crate engine program.

Regarding Toyota vehicles, no official history other than owning two first gen tacomas and a T100 prior to this 4runner. All basically stock

I didn't want to derail the thread with generic 2.8 questions, but it seems that you are open to them, sooo ...

I can't seem to find a adapter kit that will work behind the AW4/A340 ... any tips?
Also, if I were to go 6L80E, is there an adapter kit for the V2FA xfer case?
If there isn't a direct adapter, what we've seen people do is get the R2.8 to GM adapter from Axis, and then once you have the GM bolt pattern, there are lots of adapters available to go from GM to anything else. Advance Adapters has been good about helping people get the right combo.

However, I am responsible for the crate kitted components as well as engine calibration, specific to the crate engine program.

Oh wow. So are these open to aftermarket tuning and upgrades? Some OEM stuff is locked down tight.

If you can keep it IFS a Dana 300 might be a good transfer case option, hooks up to the AX15 easily, cheap, strong, center rear and passenger drop, good low range and 4:1 gears available. You can get Toyota driveshaft flanges for it from WFO. I’m sure you’ve looked into this already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom