cult45's 45 recovery and remobilisation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

To update or not to update. That is the question.

Well, that's a wrap on what I believe is the world's first 40 series feature length film. So much happened during pre-production and production so it's hard to boil it down for one short post but I'll try. The Pitch is an independent film, so it's self-financed - but we're swinging for the fences.

Screen Shot 2017-09-13 at 4.15.11 pm.jpg

The plot is essentially about a slippery film producer who coerces his estranged father into an outback road trip to find an elusive actor.

In pre-production Terrain Tamer came on as a sponsor and gifted me new springs, shocks, bushes and a steering dampener. They also provided a H41 one-piece case rebuild kit that catskinner rebuilt and another mate shipped down for me. Got that and the springs in a few days out from production! Luckily, as I think the 45 still had the original springs.

20626670_1830486617280271_8294270121612780749_o.jpg

As most of our film crew live in Brisbane, and we needed a machine that could transport lots of people and gear and do it with ease, a mate lent me his HJ47 troopy for the full five weeks. Thanks Harley! We also used my $1500 Mitsubishi Magna [also Brisbane], a HZJ75 troopy [Melbourne] and a Hyundai i30 [Sydney]. Everyone stayed in an Airbnb in western Sydney. We rolled cam on the 31st of August. After a week of filming in the Harbour City, we headed west to a small Airbnb farmhouse in Capertee Valley near Rylstone, about 4 hours NW of Sydney. Just beautiful country.

20728999_1831555993840000_8564985485828802502_o.jpg

Shot around there for a week before heading 7 hours to Narrabri where one the the TV networks tracked us down for an interview. We filmed around Narrabri for a week, including up on Mt. Kaputer, one of the most pure eco-systems in NSW. We were very lucky as we were given full reign by the National Parks.

Screen Shot 2017-09-13 at 4.13.10 pm.jpg

20914616_10154691308986479_5705878817467538784_n.jpg

After that we headed west to the proper outback. Supposed to be an 8 hour drive but ended up being 12 due to mechanical issues.

A few hours in, the troopy started slowly losing water. It was manageable for the moment as it didn't affect temps. Then out of nowhere the 45 lost power. Was down by 40% like it was running on 5 cylinders. Limped into the outback town of Walgett where I started diagnosing. One of my two fuel filters was dirty, but the downstream one was whistle clean. Changed both but still running like sh!t. Checked plugs and timing. Timing was good, plugs were good. This is where I stopped thinking straight. Got flustered as we were delayed by a good few hours now and had to make Tilpa by nightfall or there'd be additional costs I didn't budget for [keep in mind this film was funded by my life savings] and hordes of roos. So I stupidly pulled the dizzy. As well, I dumped a can of carby cleaner down the Quaddie. In this state it had enough power to continue at 100kmh with temps in the normal range.

Screen Shot 2017-09-13 at 4.10.07 pm.jpg

By the time we hit Bourke it was dusk and we were four hours behind schedule. This wasn't great as Bourke is the last town of sealed roads. From there it's all dirt and cattle grids and red, red dust. The problem with all that is due to the lack of traffic on the unsealed roads and the time of day - the kangaroos come thick and fast. But we pushed on. It was a kangaroo plague I swear, so we dropped down to 40kmh instead of the usual 100kmh. Then the ute started running like sh!t again. So at the small town of Louth I stopped and checked timing, plugs etc. Still mostly good [except the spun dizzy]. So we kept on. Only 100km to go before a warm dinner and bed.

IMG_0464.JPG

IMG_0450.JPG

IMG_0474.JPG

IMG_0499.JPG

Across the Darling I took the lead because I was sick of copping dust. Next minute - a big red about 5ft high jumped out in front and bam! I hit the bugger. Slammed on the anchors and jumped out. Bib - ruined; bezel - ruined; RH guard - ruined; split hood - ruined; radiator - skimmed the fan but held water. Skippy was dead. Bent the necessary parts straight and trucked on with the troopy beside me with it's 36" light bar turning night into day. Two more hours later and we were home at Kallara Station. Straight into bed.

The next day I spent on the ute and the troopy. Rescheduled filming around maintenance. Kallara Station is a working cattle and sheep station covering tens of thousands of acres. They have their own fitter and workshop. Luckily, the fitter was in the nearby [250km] town of Cobar and by day's end I had two new filters and 10L of oil. My oil was black, so it had to be changed. Somehow, the impact of the roo had loosened the intake system and I'd started inhaling dust. The Station also lent me their timing light [probably unused since the nineties] and I got things running good again. We also discovered the source of lost water in the troopy. Perished heater hoses. I foolishly [and due to six months of 18 hour days] assumed the troopy would be better maintained. Changed out the offending hoses and checked all others and tested - it was good. So we kept filming.

IMG_0520.JPG

IMG_0503.JPG

Part of the plot required filming in a location 80km away at dusk - so every night we'd have to drive at 40kmh through a kangaroo plague for two hours to get home. And every night the troopy would blow a headlight fuse, or the 45 would, or I'd lose taillights, or we'd lose a shackle on the trailer or the HZJ would get hot or a rock would flick up and smash some glass or..

IMG_0534.JPG

It all came down to tough deadlines, poor maintenance and an underestimation of how harsh the terrain really is. But morale stayed high and we kept the movie machine going. Never say die. We dug tf in. Though losing headlights on both cars when you've got a two hour drive ahead of you, for the sixth day in a row, on your fourth week of 18 hour days - can almost reduce a man to tears. Ain't no breakdown service out there.

IMG_0538.jpg

IMG_0584.JPG

IMG_0625.JPG

IMG_0636.JPG

IMG_0698.JPG

When we finally wrapped Tilpa the crew hit the beers pretty hard. The HOD's did not and the next day the HOD's left on time as planned. It was an 8 hour drive to Eugowra where we were staying the night. I stopped an hour in as the ute was still not right [due to moving the dizzy]. So I called up a mate of mine in Sydney who talked the through it. Reset the dizzy and it's been [mostly] good ever since. Stupid.

IMG_0827.jpg

IMG_5954.JPG

We hit Eugowra at dark only to discover the crew [in the troopy] had left 4 hours late due to their hangovers. They also neglected to listen to my instructions and took the long way which added two more hours. By 10pm they still weren't in Eugowra. Then I got the call. Temps rising, squealing, no brakes. They wisely shut her down long before it got hot but they were roadside in the middle of nowhere and it was zero degrees. Luckily they had phone coverage and they found a motel a kilometre away. They slowly limped the troopy back to Nevertire and parked up in the only free room in the only motel in town.

The next morning I left at 0400 to drive the ute back to them to diagnose. Alternator bearing was shot. The 2H alternator has a vacuum pump which drives the booster for the brakes. But we were in a town of population 5. Luckily, an ex-army mechanic had set up shop and in a few hours had sourced a bearing and had it repaired. The culprit? A Ford power steering pump [known to leak] had dripped on that bearing for miles and displaced the grease. Totally preventable. We hit the road again only to have the HZJ now in the red. The owner, Chris, was happy to meet us in Sydney so we pushed on without him. We made it that night around midnight with filming scheduled at 0900.

IMG_0415.jpg
IMG_0446.JPG
Screen Shot 2017-08-21 at 8.14.34 pm.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-22 at 12.50.40 pm.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-23 at 5.37.40 am.png

The first day back in Sydney the glow relay on the troopy failed, requiring daily hot wiring to the busbar. Thankfully, nothing happened to the 45. We filmed for another week, including scenes with a matching numbers '65 Vette, a 1968 HK Monaro with 434 Dart block and 12 Harley's. Oh and a plane.

19989616_1815873855408214_3000252501074393350_n.jpg
21317672_10203780721116177_2482959029377832327_n.jpg
The-Pitch-Movie-ozbike_9-800x533.jpg

Then, about an hour out of Sydney as the troopy headed north back to Brisbane to deliver the crew home - the crank pulley separated. Potential damage from the leaking power steering pump due to rubber separation. A motel, a rental car and a $500 tow later and they were northbound again. The troopy remains with me. Crank pulley on the way.

Insurance assessment today on the 45.

But even though there were mechanical woes and heavy deadlines and dust and flies and the management of personalities - it was epic. We spent five weeks shooting a feature film in some of the most glorious locations Australia has to offer. The cinematography is outstanding, the performances were ace and the teamwork was just so great. We had the time of our lives. Crew members went home and spoke to family they've not spoken to in years; or went home and ended dead relationships; or went home and began their own projects. I think it resonated with people because the core message of the film is: be yourself - because life is too short.

The end. Time for a brake upgrade.

Epic tales my friend. Did I read that last line correct? Brake upgrade?

Hope insurance don't screw you over, might be worth checking in with Paul Read as I think he's breaking an older rig as we speak.

Epic tales my friend. Did I read that last line correct? Brake upgrade?
Hope insurance don't screw you over, might be worth checking in with Paul Read as I think he's breaking an older rig as we speak.

Lost a brake lining yesterday, so insurance is today after I replace it. And I already have the upgrade parts required ;)

Nice story Dan. Beautiful pics too! You deserve more luck with the mechanics. Better stay with Toyota engines and parts!

Thanks Paul! If only they made a thirsty V8.. :)

Replaced the offending shoe this morning, as well as it's twin. Also adjusted all brakes. Whilst I was there I discovered the brake booster grommet was cactus and probably had been for many moons. Replaced it and presto - no more double pumping. Whilst at REPCO I grabbed a hand oil pump and a few other bits and pieces. Topped up the transfer. Also rechecked timing and the bugger was out! Pulled the dizzy and plug #1 and started from scratch. By the time I was done I dialled 4* into it to see how it runs. These things like a bit of advance. Had a new battery tray fabbed up a few months back so it got fitted. A much nicer spot and now you can actually access the terminals! #rookieerror

Took it for a burn and it finally runs, drives and stops. First panel beater didn't want the work based on it's age. Next stop - a proper custom shop. Boom.

Now to order new door latches. The missus declares it so.

G'day Cult,

Holy crap what a story. Thank goodness for insurance companies and that big red. He might be dead, but I'm sure that he will rest in peace knowing that the ol'45 that clobbered him is going to be looking better than ever!

What happens now? Do you have to find an editor and spend three months in front of a computer putting it all together. What about marketing and all that sort of stuff. I've got too many questions. More information required. Also did Joss McWilliam make an appearance or did you end up having to use Ben Mendelson or Steve Bisley? You should have used Acco., he's bloody legend mate.

Also what difference did the Terrain Tamer suspension make?

Cheers,

Ben

Well @Pauciflora Ben, from here I cut a trailer [have already begun] and then use that to find a post-production house that wants to handle post under my supervision. Or spend three months getting fat and cut it myself. Then I find a distributor and a backer [in no particular order]. Joss was absent on this one, instead I used Andy McPhee Andy McPhee - IMDb

The TT springs and shocks are, as you'd expect - ace. It's a whole other ride.

Well @Pauciflora Ben, from here I cut a trailer [have already begun] and then use that to find a post-production house that wants to handle post under my supervision. Or spend three months getting fat and cut it myself. Then I find a distributor and a backer [in no particular order]. Joss was absent on this one, instead I used Andy McPhee Andy McPhee - IMDb

The TT springs and shocks are, as you'd expect - ace. It's a whole other ride.

Hey Cult,

I recognised Andy's face. His credits read like bikers wrap sheet. Which is an appropriate metaphor when you consider that he is cast almost exclusively as a biker or pirate.

It takes courage to do what you do. I wouldn't have the self-confidence, even if I had the creative talent. In some regards Cult, you are the ultimate one-percenter.

I look forward to the final cut.

Congratualtions.

Ben

Last edited:
Hey Cult,

I recognised Andy's face. His credits read like bikers wrap sheet. Which is an appropriate metaphor when you consider that he is cast almost exclusively as a biker or pirate.

It takes courage to do what you do. I wouldn't have the self-confidence, even if I had the creative talent. In some regards Cult, you are the ultimate one-percenter.

I look forward to the final cut.

Congratualtions.

Ben

Thanks Ben, mighty kind of you to say so. Y'know what's even more courageous? Rebuilding an HJ47 and not giving in to the strong pull for mod cons and cad plated bolt sets. OEM for life, eh?

Perhaps you should have been carrying some Roo-Away........this is from an old Canadian TV show called SCTV......classic.

45 LIFE.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom