CSF Radiator Story of Whoas and General BS (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

zachmartin529

Landcrusher89
Threads
Website
www.zmartinphotography.wixsite.com
This is a story of the most over-complicated and annoying inconvenience I've ever had ordering car parts in my life, which at the time of writing this, is still yet to be resolved.
20220720_123342.jpg

The time is long overdue for my FJ62 to get a new radiator so naturally, I went with CSF as they are the only ones making what I (we) need out of steel and copper. My first misstep was ordering the wrong part number: 2709, which in case you don't know, is absolutely the WRONG part number no matter what literally every website will tell you including the CSF catalog. The part that actually fits is in fact CSF 2708. So I reach out to the vendor (Lethal Performance); and because I got free shipping, had to pay $56.00 to ship it back to their warehouse. I put it back in the same box with the EXACT packaging that I received it in and shipped it back with FedEx. Just my luck, it arrives damaged and they denied my $475 refund. The metal loops that hold the overflow hose in place had both been smashed flat in shipping.
Radiator Damage 2.jpg
Radiator Damage 1.jpg

So I had to open a claim with FedEx an organization so s*** that they have denied my claim on 4 different occasions despite me sending proof of value and photos of the radiator before and after it was shipped that decisively prove that THEY damaged it. The fact that they still deny they damaged it proves that they are actually blind and stupid. The final reason for denial was that I didn't package the item properly, which is physically impossible. The final chapter of this, which is still ongoing, is me submitting a correspondence from Lethal Performance stating that I packaged the item properly and it still arrived damaged. After my 5th or so phone call with a different representative every time, I was told today that the person working on my claim would reach out to me personally today: 08/29. Naturally, that didn't happen. Tomorrow, 08/30 is the final deadline I have been told I'll be getting a resolution. If it's positive, yay for me. If not I plan on calling them back literally every day to seek reimbursement until they are so annoyed that they pay OR taking them to small claims.

Certainly, a lesson has been learned here (double check part numbers), but I've never experienced anything like this before and the amount of actual bulls**t I've gone through just to get refunded is INSANE. For what it's worth I got the original radiator I ordered (CSF 2709) back from Lethal Performance's warehouse because they didn't want it. Needless to say, I'll be selling it after I fix the tabs that were squished so If you or anyone you know is in need of that part PM me and I'll give them a solid price on it. I believe it fits an 80 Series?

This is a story of the most over-complicated and annoying inconvenience I've ever had ordering car parts in my life, which at the time of writing this, is still yet to be resolved.
View attachment 3100916
The time is long overdue for my FJ62 to get a new radiator so naturally, I went with CSF as they are the only ones making what I (we) need out of steel and copper. My first misstep was ordering the wrong part number: 2709, which in case you don't know, is absolutely the WRONG part number no matter what literally every website will tell you including the CSF catalog. The part that actually fits is in fact CSF 2708. So I reach out to the vendor (Lethal Performance); and because I got free shipping, had to pay $56.00 to ship it back to their warehouse. I put it back in the same box with the EXACT packaging that I received it in and shipped it back with FedEx. Just my luck, it arrives damaged and they denied my $475 refund. The metal loops that hold the overflow hose in place had both been smashed flat in shipping.
View attachment 3100917View attachment 3100918
So I had to open a claim with FedEx an organization so s*** that they have denied my claim on 4 different occasions despite me sending proof of value and photos of the radiator before and after it was shipped that decisively prove that THEY damaged it. The fact that they still deny they damaged it proves that they are actually blind and stupid. The final reason for denial was that I didn't package the item properly, which is physically impossible. The final chapter of this, which is still ongoing, is me submitting a correspondence from Lethal Performance stating that I packaged the item properly and it still arrived damaged. After my 5th or so phone call with a different representative every time, I was told today that the person working on my claim would reach out to me personally today: 08/29. Naturally, that didn't happen. Tomorrow, 08/30 is the final deadline I have been told I'll be getting a resolution. If it's positive, yay for me. If not I plan on calling them back literally every day to seek reimbursement until they are so annoyed that they pay OR taking them to small claims.

Certainly, a lesson has been learned here (double check part numbers), but I've never experienced anything like this before and the amount of actual bulls**t I've gone through just to get refunded is INSANE. For what it's worth I got the original radiator I ordered (CSF 2709) back from Lethal Performance's warehouse because they didn't want it. Needless to say, I'll be selling it after I fix the tabs that were squished so If you or anyone you know is in need of that part PM me and I'll give them a solid price on it. I believe it fits an 80 Series?
So sorry to hear about that mess. I hope they honor reimbursing you for the damage . I was actually looking for advice on best radiator for '68 FJ40 with the 3.9L 1F engine I'm pretty sure this one is the original.

I know radiators for 40s are tough to find. We have an '82 factory air truck with the 2F as well that has a 4-core aluminum one due to at the time it being hard to find anything steel. I think CSF makes one, but I recommend doing a bunch of research before you pull the trigger.

I know radiators for 40s are tough to find. We have an '82 factory air truck with the 2F as well that has a 4-core aluminum one due to at the time it being hard to find anything steel. I think CSF makes one, but I recommend doing a bunch of research before you pull the trigger.
Thank you. I have seen quote a few options, so makes it a little tricky.

That's a bummer start.

I installed that same radiator (2708). Had to take it back out a few weeks later because the top seam was weeping. That was two years ago. Now the bottom seam is leaking. Not really happy with CSF. If I did it all over, I'd have Performance Radiator (where I bought it) re-solder the entire thing out of the box. But nobody should have to do that.

I've had the CSF in my 60 for over 10 years now with no issues, but it's the one they don't make anymore, without the trans oil cooler. I never buy radiators any more by mail, always local because of so much damage in shipping.

Update!
I actually got refunded by FedEx after making a big enough stink! Pro tip: take before photos of interior and exterior of your package, get after ones of the damage from the vendor and a written confirmation that you packaged everything right, and don't stop calling them until you get an actual manager that will help you and handle s*** efficiently.
My CSF 2708 was ordered from a shop local to me and is already at the house and set to get installed next week!

My csf leaked after 3 years. I rebuilt it and put it in our 62.

They were no help, but I expected that.

That's a bummer start.

I installed that same radiator (2708). Had to take it back out a few weeks later because the top seam was weeping. That was two years ago. Now the bottom seam is leaking. Not really happy with CSF. If I did it all over, I'd have Performance Radiator (where I bought it) re-solder the entire thing out of the box. But nobody should have to do that.
Any experience with PR radiators? They make/source a copper / brass rad for the 60??

@OzarkMtnCruiser

I was curious too if they manufacture it, or it's a re-box. Good info.

Did you happen to ask if the 12CBR has a built in trans cooler, like the FJ62 CSF? I see they offer a different model for the '88 on

btw, Performance Rad has quite a few locations - if there's a close one, it could be picked up.

@OzarkMtnCruiser

I was curious too if they manufacture it, or it's a re-box. Good info.

Did you happen to ask if the 12CBR has a built in trans cooler, like the FJ62 CSF? I see they offer a different model for the '88 on

btw, Performance Rad has quite a few locations - if there's a close one, it could be picked up.
I didn't- from the picture it doesn't look like it. They said closest to me was PA..

*Update*
New rad is in and the truck runs cool as a cucumber. But now that the system has pressure, a leaking head gasket has appeared. Every cylinder was low on compression after a compression test, so it's off with its head (pun intended :D ). Time to order a new FACTORY head gasket, something I didn't do when I put a new head on it 3 years ago. In the meantime, I got the OME Heavy kit from Cruiser Outfitters that I'm going to install while I wait for the gasket to come in and the head to be inspected at a local machine shop.

View attachment 3100916
View attachment 3100917View attachment 3100918

@zachmartin529 - About to order a CSF for my 1990 FJ62, just to confirm I need the part Number CSF 2708 despite the website saying it doesn't fit my truck?

@zachmartin529 - About to order a CSF for my 1990 FJ62, just to confirm I need the part Number CSF 2708 despite the website saying it doesn't fit my truck?
*edit* ... I installed that part number in my 62... but I see why you're asking this question. I can't see any site that currently lists that part number for the 62. Perhaps if you called someone that had it in stock and could visually verify there is a transmission cooler, then you should be good. I had (still have) some issues with mine, but fitment was just as good as factory.

Last edited:
I installed this radiator in my 85 FJ60. Qualify was top notch and fit was spot on. I have used this company (Mishimoto) for several of my projects and have never had any problems.

View attachment 3378471View attachment 3378472
Nothing wrong with a mishimoto rad. Ive seen them handle a TON of abuse in SR20, 1jz, etc drift cars and not leak at all. Too bad Koyorad doesnt make a rad for these trucks. They do for the 80 serties

*edit* ... I installed that part number in my 62... but I see why you're asking this question. I can't see any site that currently lists that part number for the 62. Perhaps if you called someone that had it in stock and could visually verify there is a transmission cooler, then you should be good. I had (still have) some issues with mine, but fitment was just as good as factory.
Hey man, sorry I never responded. I was fortunate to have a local shop order it for me that could see the part number in their database. The part number that used to be labeled as direct fit on the CSF catalogue is discontinued now. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom