Cruise Moab 2021 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Heading for Moab via Zion, Bryce, & Goblin Valley.

Friday night’s camp 🏕 North of Strawberry 🍓

View attachment 2640733

Nice! I’ll be leaving Monday morning and camping in Zion Monday night, then heading to San Rafael Swell on Tuesday via Bryce and Capitol Reef.

Nice! I’ll be leaving Monday morning and camping in Zion Monday night, then heading to San Rafael Swell on Tuesday via Bryce and Capitol Reef.
Honk twice as you pass me - I’ll be the FJ40 going forty miles an hour up the hills 🐌

Soooooo ... as to be expected with this first post-pandemic (ish) version of CM it looks like there have been a few wrinkles. They had to cancel a few trails due to low sign up numbers. Based on the length of time Registration stayed open, and these recent changes I'm guessing some of those who like to do more advanced trails may have opted out this year. And I get it, these guys do all this on volunteer time for the love of the hobby. This is no criticism just sharing information. I have appreciated all the hard work and effort Rising Sun, Wasatch, and the many supporting venders have put in over the years to make this a great event.

For me Steel Bender Thurs and Golden Spike for Saturday were both cancelled. :( I'm now signed up for Golden Spike on Thursday and Kane Creek on Saturday.
Steel Bender isn't even half as interesting as Metal Masher - plus, Metal Masher has better views

same rating for both trails, just sayin'

Switched to Wipeout Hill on Friday, otherwise looks like I'm in for these trails according to Sched. I may offer to Tail Gun or Mid Gun Spike on Saturday.

I‘m also on Wipeout Hill on Friday. Saving Hells Revenge for next year when my dad can come along. Still doing San Rafael Swell tues -thurs and Top of the World on Saturday.

Saturday’s campsite 🏕 East of Eden - oops I meant East of Zion on BLM land.
9157F0F5-35BA-4ECA-9981-1D09D3E39917.jpeg

I‘m also on Wipeout Hill on Friday. Saving Hells Revenge for next year when my dad can come along. Still doing San Rafael Swell tues -thurs and Top of the World on Saturday.
Awesome! Look forward to wheeling with you Matt.

Funny thing, I may end up running Hell's twice in the same day. I rented a SxS for my daughter and her boyfriend on Wednesday because I want her to have her first driving experience in Moab. My FJC is a manual (she can drive it but not to a level to wheel it) so I'll be the designated spotter for the daytime run. Then we do the Hell's night run with the CM21 crew.

Cheers,
Norm

Sunday night’s campsite 🏕 in Bryce Canyon National Monument “North Campground”. $20 a night gets you an abnormally clean campsite, flush toilets, and hot 🥵 water in the sinks! Probably one of the cleanest and nicest campground I’ve stayed at. I usually avoid official campgrounds because they are usually dirty, nasty 🤮 places.
1CCC7E50-B8AB-4FFF-AF49-BAF338DADAB3.jpeg

Sunday night’s campsite 🏕 in Bryce Canyon National Monument “North Campground”. $20 a night gets you an abnormally clean campsite, flush toilets, and hot 🥵 water in the sinks! Probably one of the cleanest and nicest campground I’ve stayed at. I usually avoid official campgrounds because they are usually dirty, nasty 🤮 places.
View attachment 2643641
I’m at Watchman campground in Zion. Same story. Too many damn people, but clean and well appointed.

image.jpg

I’m at Watchman campground in Zion. Same story. Too many damn people, but clean and well appointed.

View attachment 2643671
Looks nice!

I planned on camping west of Zion along the Smithsonian Butte road, but they were having some kind of foot race marathon and there were hundreds of people and no places to camp.
The entire way east twords Zion was private land so I ended up driving through Zion Saturday afternoon. Made for a really long day as I
scheduled Zion for Sunday.

It all worked out okay though and I got to spend over 24 hours in the Bryce campground without having to drive :steer: anywhere.

Off to Goblin Valley in the morn!

Cruise Moab Trail #1 - Arches Family Fun Run

Rained most of the day
7D_38247-Small.jpg
7D_38248-Small.jpg

Technically a four wheel drive road. Most of it I could have got the Subaru through (if my wife would let me :rofl: )
7D_38258-Small.jpg
7D_38263-Small.jpg
7D_38265-Small.jpg

Mo Pix

Still pretty when wet
7D_38267-Small.jpg

Lots of off pavement roads in Arches National Monument
7D_38270-Small.jpg

Lookin fer dinosaur tracks in the rain
7D_38274-Small.jpg

Here's one - filled with muddy water
7D_38276-Small.jpg

Traffic jam getting back to Moab
7D_38278-Small.jpg

Cruise Moab Trail #2 - Poison Spider Mesa

It rained most if the night and snowed a little on the cliffs over Moab
7D_38284-Small.jpg
7D_38305-Small.jpg

Very pretty "used to be an FJ40" This is a very nice rig but he was not with our group!
7D_38313-Small.jpg
7D_38314-Small.jpg

One of the first switchbacks has been badly eroded and was a little tricky.
7D_38316-Small.jpg

Mo Pix

Up and over
7D_38318-Small.jpg
7D_38321-Small.jpg

The "Wedge"
7D_38334-Small.jpg

Great view from the top
7D_38339-Small.jpg

That same switchback was worse going down than up
7D_38354-Small.jpg

Cruise Moab Trail #3 - Jax Trax

Large crowd - 13 Toyotas today
7D_38377-Small.jpg

Fun trail
7D_38383-Small.jpg

Lots of short climbs
7D_38387-Small.jpg

Interesting scenery
7D_38403-Small.jpg

El Diablo climb
7D_38406-Small.jpg

Mo Pix

El Diablo climb - so steep I could only see sky for most of the climb and it has a nasty ledge halfway up. Most people caught air with a front, rear, or both tires going up this :eek:
7D_38410-Small.jpg
7D_38417-Small.jpg

Sandy road back home
7D_38418-Small.jpg

Airing up
7D_38420-Small.jpg

The La Sals with a new coat of snow
7D_38424-Small.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom