Cruise Moab 2021 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Eagle Canyon on the San Rafael Swell Overnight
IMG_2660.jpeg

Black Dragon Canyon - San Rafael Swell Overnight

IMG_2685.jpeg

Devil's Racetrack - San Rafael Swell Overnight

IMG_2637.jpeg

How many other 40s have you seen?

Anything earlier then 1990 seems to be rare.
Altogether I saw about ten. Three were ex-FJ40 buggies.
I was the only 40 on each of the three trails.
Prolly only means that most FJ40 owners wouldn’t mask 😷 up for this year’s Cruise Moab

Altogether I saw about ten. Three were ex-FJ40 buggies.
I was the only 40 on each of the three trails.
Prolly only means that most FJ40 owners wouldn’t mask 😷 up for this year’s Cruise Moab
I would go but that is a long drive in Uma and i don't have 2 weeks to get there and back. i actually wear a mask a lot while driving not necessarily for covid reasons but it is my own air filter for the dust

I'll get my trip report started. Started with the annual washing and waxing of my rig, part of the trip maintenance (not a vanity thing). Then blasted up to Moab in new record time 6:55 (least amount of traffic ever through the Res, and lower Utah).
Tues Departure Clean Truck.jpg

Then a beautiful Wednesday morning in "downtown" Moab. The day was ridiculously windy but warm and nice.
Wed Morning Dwntwn.jpg

My daughter is 16 now so this would be her first chance to drive in Moab. My FJC is a manual, and while being able to drive a stick on the street is nice, it's a whole other skill set when wheeling. So rented a RZR side by side so she and her friend could drive. Started with Baby Lions back ...
Wed RZR Start.jpg
Wed Baby Lions back.jpg

Then they each did a lap of Fins N Things and finished up with an in and out run of Hell's Revenge. 8 hours of nothing but the passenger seat and spotting for me.
FinsNthings RZR 1.jpg

Took the RZR back, hit tech inspection, and then back to the trail for the Hell's night run. We had some slight drama at Hell's Gate with 2 rigs needing some fancy winch work from the trail leaders. Not a lot to see picture wise but I didn't get this cool FJC shadow. Four and half more hours including the normal trail exit down the side of the Sand Flats ridge. I bet it looked cool from town seeing 12 rigs all lit up coming down together.
Wed Night Run Hells FJC Shadow.jpg

Last edited:
Thursday is another long day, total of 10 1/2 hours, so it's one of the earlier meet up times for trail departures. All still looked weather-wise at this point. We had 9 rigs lined up for this run.
Golden Spike 1.jpg

Made some good time getting through the early obstacles., then we could see off in the distance storms building ... and heading our way. It was a very Gilligan's Island flashback. It was supposed to be a high of 60 and 46% chance of rain between 1 and 4, that was of 11:30pm when I went to bed. What it turned into was two different waves of rain, sleet, and some light flurries that lasted 7 hours on and off. Not the finest day or rest of the week for the weather forecasters!
Golden Spike 8.jpg

A couple of pics of Skyline Drive.
Golden Spike 2.jpg
Golden Spike 3.jpg

A few more pics of our time on Golden Spike, including the obligatory poser pic at the crack (which had a ton of water flowing through it).
Golden Spike 7.jpg
Golden Spike 4.jpg
Golden Spike 6.jpg

Day 3 - Wipe Out Hill
CM21 is officially the year of the 200 Series. I'm not sure how many out of the 142 registered participants were driving 200's but I know I wheeled with 6, and judging from other's pictures I've seen at least another 3. On Wipe Out Hill we had 5, pretty sure that is the first sign of the apocalypse when 5 200's go out together! We had 20 rigs, which is the largest single run I've every been on in 7 Cruise Moabs.

First we stopped to check out a desert cave.
Wipe Out Hill 2.jpg
Wipe Out Hill 3.jpg
Wipe Out Hill 6.jpg

It was a mix of mild wheeling, one decent uphill object (capture by Matt @TheGrrrrr earlier), and then the main event ... Wipe Out Hill which featured two severe downhill sections of slick rock with a bit of a pucker factor. I also clipped a pic of our lunch stop at the Monitor and the Merrimack. Thanks to Tim from Gamiviti who lead the trail and provided some cool dessert treats after lunch.
Wipe Out Hill 4.jpg
Wipe Out Hill 5.jpg

Round trip miles 1688.9

Land Cruisin' the following route:

Home -> Strawberry -> Sunset Crater -> Wupatki -> Marble Canyon -> Apple Valley -> Smithsonian Butte -> Zion ->Bryce -> Dixie Forest -> Capital Reef -> Goblin Valley -> Moab -> Lotz O Fun Trailz -> South on 191 -> South on BIA 15 -> South on 77 -> South on US 60 -> South on 77 -> Home

7D_38452.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom