Builds Crazy Old Man on a Mountain 1987 "MOXIE" FJ60 Build!!! ***PRAYIN for a WOODEN roof *** (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You could grill it on this. (Really just wanted to share this picture)

IMG_20200213_181730877.jpg

Red meat is tasty but oh so costly to raise from environmental impact as compared to other meat sources. A bite from the Long Horn tick brings with it a very real chance to obtain an allergy to all red meat...permanently. A pretty wild side effect.
Made me do it!!!
20200214_184444.jpg

Wowoeowo...the headers get THAT hot eh? Crazzzzzy
That is what happened after 15 minutes of idling at 2700 RPM. Yeah I was a little concerned. Fixed the vacuum leak and was able to get the idle down to about 850. I'll be thinking about that every time I'm climbing a long hill.

That is what happened after 15 minutes of idling at 2700 RPM. Yeah I was a little concerned. Fixed the vacuum leak and was able to get the idle down to about 850. I'll be thinking about that every time I'm climbing a long hill.
I dnt think mine gets that red...but ive never looked. Will have too now...

Finally mounted the Sniper guage....a HUGE accomplishment for me. 😊 not a fan of the dangling wire...but no slack good for now. Wouldve stuck it on windshield in a lil dif spot...its kinda close tonsteering wheel...but itllndo
20200215_104727.jpg
20200215_110538.jpg

Wow, Colorado's having a great powder year! I miss those days racing to be the first on the lift.

A-Basin would be my choice near where the OP lives. Have fun in the snow, but 9800' makes wicked hangovers.

Go with the ARB stabilizer. It will handle 33's no problem.

Wow, Colorado's having a great powder year! I miss those days racing to be the first on the lift.

A-Basin would be my choice near where the OP lives. Have fun in the snow, but 9800' makes wicked hangovers.

Go with the ARB stabilizer. It will handle 33's no problem.
Hvnt had a drink in 28 years...crazy enuff without the booze.

Old Man Emu alrdy ordered....if that dsnt work out...ill ck out the ARB, thanks

Hvnt had a drink in 28 years...crazy enuff without the booze.

Old Man Emu alrdy ordered....if that dsnt work out...ill ck out the ARB, thanks
I meant to say Old man emu, I had one on my 87 and never had a problem. You can see it in my avatar.

I meant to say Old man emu, I had one on my 87 and never had a problem. You can see it in my avatar.
That kinda looks like a problem....🤣😂🤣😊😊😂🤣.

Right on...hope it does its job!

Lol, I know that place on Poison Spider Mesa. It's just down River from me a few miles. I haven't taken my 60 on that trail yet, but I used to rally up there in my 72 Baja bug. It's a rough trail.

Yep, that was poison spider mesa trail "roughly" 20 years ago. After a few photo ops, we winched the 60 back over and drove it back to Colorado. Landcruisers are tough SOB's. Back then you could find good running examples of FJ60's for under $5k all day long. I scrapped that one and bought an 87 model for $2k, switched over the suspension from the wrecked one. I still miss the first one, it was a beast, even took it up Holy Cross City near Leadville, CO, broke the motor mounts on that trail, but made it back in one piece.

I know not many clarify this but my recommendation is to stop looking at all the ‘modifications’ many do and recommend and step back and look at your truck. Baseline it using oem parts and use the factory service manual to make sure everything is setup correctly.

The Manual has a number of adjustments and specifications for brakes, steering that should all be checked before ‘replacing’ and upgrading. Throwing parts at the truck is all well and good but if you really want to learn and understand the truck, start by baselining per the manual. You’ll be surprisedhow good the truck will drive with factory and factory replacement bits set accordingly.

Most are addicted to the modification addiction and overlook basic maintenance and fundementals that keep the truck from being as reliable as they were designed.

Good luck and try not to go too stir crazy on the internet looking at trucks :)

When you decide to rock hop and hit some serious terrain then you can start hot rodding, makes it more fun that way.

I know not many clarify this but my recommendation is to stop looking at all the ‘modifications’ many do and recommend and step back and look at your truck. Baseline it using oem parts and use the factory service manual to make sure everything is setup correctly.

The Manual has a number of adjustments and specifications for brakes, steering that should all be checked before ‘replacing’ and upgrading. Throwing parts at the truck is all well and good but if you really want to learn and understand the truck, start by baselining per the manual. You’ll be surprisedhow good the truck will drive with factory and factory replacement bits set accordingly.

Most are addicted to the modification addiction and overlook basic maintenance and fundementals that keep the truck from being as reliable as they were designed.

When you decide to rock hop and hit some serious terrain then you can start hot rodding, makes it more fun that way.
i'll 3rd this

@mattressking I agree. However the emissions system is the weak link in these old trucks. Desmogging opens up a can of worms.. but nothing that ruins the character. Also, the departure angle is inadequate with the rough riding stock springs and tiny 235's on a truck based on the short wheele based FJ40.. a mild lift and 33's seem to be what Toyota should have done. But then then you want to regear. That and stock parts getting harder and harder to source. But the 60's did fine stock back when speed limits were 55 and fuel injection was too expensive. I chose not to spring-over, avoided the V8 conversion because I don't want to ruin the character, the "soul" of the FJ60. They are by my standards, the perfect truck. Excepting the emissions and .... Well, this is how it starts. But yes, baseline, fix what it needs, do preventative maintenance. Drive it with respect. Wave at other Land Cruisers with more than one finger until you know them😆

Right on...bought my rig 8 years ago...evertrhing is as i bought it. Im not modding anything...but when rotors are tore up...ya need new rotors, when shocks are leaking...ya need new shocks...when the tie rods need replacing...you get new TRs...when the front axel needs rebuilding...you rebuild the knuckles.... Right?? Im using pretty much all OEM parts...so, not really sure what exactly youre talking about. Im certainly not gonna get rid of the shackles and go back to stock...not getting rid of the 33s and going back to stock.... Your post is kinda confusing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom