crawler options... (1 Viewer)

Which crawler option looks better

• SM465 x 203 x split case (150:1)

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • stock tranny x 203 x split case (60:1)

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.mntoyx4.com
Working on getting the stuff together to do a crawler box.

I have already purchased an NP203 to stock split case adapter. Was Planning on doing putting a 465 in front of that. With the tranny in 1st, the 203 in hi, and the split case in low I would be at about 60:1. With the tranny in 1st, the 203 in low, and the split case in hi I would be at about 50:1. With the tranny in 1st, the 203 in low and the split case in low I would be at about 150:1 :eek: .

I currently have 35" tires, and cannot see going bigger than 36 - 37" tires. The 60:1 would be real sweet for most wheeling, but would I ever be able to really use the 150:1?

I also may have the chance to pick up a stock tranny/tcase with the 203 box. This option would net me about 60:1 in low/low. Nice part of this would be the fact that it would be a bolt in deal. Already assembled, just bolt it in and re-tube driveshafts.

Problem with the 465/203 option is that this is an extrememly rare factory combination and are hard, not impossible, to find.

With the stock set up with the crawler box I would also down the road have the option to add an H55 to the equation.

The 465 would not be as street friendly as the stock tranny. I would also have to find a buyer for the adapter I already bought, but overall I believe that the stock set up with the 203 would be cheaper.

SM465 with NP203 doubler(tm). Don't try to buy them together, buy them separately and then combine them. Should be easy to find as the 203 was in a ton of trucks.

XOM's(RIP) 2nd edition had a decent writeup on how to do it.

I am thinking of doing h41/splitcase/toybox. Just like Toyota stuff.

Tock Tranny 1st gear 4.84:1 ( H55F ) plus Stock Split Case ( 2.28 or 1.96 ) and NP 203 ( 1.95 ? ) plus R&P 4.11 = 88.44 Not Bad .. !

You can play with 150:1 in less places, but sometimes you found a real aplications for this serius reductions ..

But I thought the overal situation for me, dosen't matter, with 88.44:1 You Are right ..

In my HJ-60 H55F * SplitCase ( 3.05 Marks ) * 4.56 R&P = 67.3 has been enought to move with plenty of power my 37" MTR.

The 150:1 is oh so tempting. But will I ever use it??? On the other hand I'd don't want to kick myself down the road for not getting the deep gearing when I could have.

Streetability is definately an issue with me as well. I don't mean I need a super cushy ride.

I though a while about just doing a 465 to split case and calling it done. I didn't get a whole lot of good feedback about that one. But hell, there are tons of 40's out there with 420's and 465's driving down the road with nary a gripe.

My vote is for the lower geared 465. You can always shift out (shift to high) the 203 if you need a higher gear. Plus, with any stick you have a larger range of gear ratios. I say go low, if you don't like it, don't shift it (or shift it to a higher gear). With my set up I would like a slightly lower gear ratio. I think I might try some 4.88s and see if that works.

i have a brand new 203-split case adapter for sale if you decide to go that route.

welll ask yourself brotha....where are you heading?

Me, im heading down that road of nutty suspensions and rock boxs, with trips all over the country to land cruiser meets? I'm just taking it day by day and what the wallet can swing.

Do you see yourself progressivly becoming more of a hardcore wheeler? it happened to me without even thinking about it...

just a thought.

what engine are you running? You should also be asking yourself what will a wide ratio trans like an SM465 do to my RPM. With the stock 2F you will have to rev it up higher between shifts. I would not want that combo here in Colorado. If your running a SBC than your fine. It can take regular trips above 4000 RPM (even 5000 depending how built) without a sweat. Much above 3500 on a 2F and you'll be doing an engine swap soon.

So my advice would be stock motor stick with the stock trans. unless you have a lot of patience to climb hills. If you've got a V8 than get the SM465. If you want really low gearing for the 2F I'd do it behind the trans(orion). Just my thoughts.

I'll probably now hear from everyone in the world with a 2F/SM465 but unless you DD it and live at 9200 feet with every way out of town is up think about what I'm saying.

Corbet said:
what engine are you running? You should also be asking yourself what will a wide ratio trans like an SM465 do to my RPM. With the stock 2F you will have to rev it up higher between shifts. I would not want that combo here in Colorado. If your running a SBC than your fine. It can take regular trips above 4000 RPM (even 5000 depending how built) without a sweat. Much above 3500 on a 2F and you'll be doing an engine swap soon.

So my advice would be stock motor stick with the stock trans. unless you have a lot of patience to climb hills. If you've got a V8 than get the SM465. If you want really low gearing for the 2F I'd do it behind the trans(orion). Just my thoughts.

I'll probably now hear from everyone in the world with a 2F/SM465 but unless you DD it and live at 9200 feet with every way out of town is up think about what I'm saying.

As a matter of fact I'm moving to CO next spring. I've already told myself that the 60 will no longer be relegated to DD status by that time, but that is some good advice to chew on.

And Al, I'm just gonna keep doing nuttier and nuttier stuff as well. I had to make a decision weather to spend the cash in doing an SOA, or to spend the money on gearing. I decided to spend the money on the gearing. Hopefully I'll be happy with my decision.

I have a dual ultimate crawler from Marlin and I have got to say its great to have choices! Some times I am hanging on a ledge and just starting to slip and down down to doule low i go and Up Up Up I move its like magic:) get the low option but if it was me I'd go stock tranny Marlin crawler Toybox to the split case and you have a choice of the 2.28:1 ,4.00:1 or 4.7:1 in the Marlin Toybox and the reduction portion is stock mini truck and you can carry a spare stock 2.28:1 in your lunch box....:)
That gives you many choices for what you need when you need it. Also spares are easy to find...
at any event or trail ride.
double low stock mini reduction 75 to 1 first gear stock tranny shift up if you need higher or drop one back to 1:1 for stock low.
4.00:1 toybox = 133:1 in double low first gear
4.7:1 toybox = 156:1 in double low first gear and with only 4.7 toybox in low stock cruiser transfer in high you get 68:1 like I said choices are good especially when they are a shift lever away:)

the 465 will suck on the road..

Do youself a favor and ger a doubler of some sort (I really like the marlin unit) and keep your stock tranny..

Mace said:
the 465 will suck on the road..

Do youself a favor and ger a doubler of some sort (I really like the marlin unit) and keep your stock tranny..

2 votes for it .. ! keep your stock tranny, maybe you can add a toy boc, klun V, orion o whatever to get super crawling, but on the road, you keep the smoothnes of your Toy tranny.

Not enough POLL offerings mr..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom