Covid-19 thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Several of the civilian Federal agencies my company does work for have already announced WFH through June of 2021. Although I have a feeling that has more to do with all the border counties doing full virtual school next year.

@caz - Did you go get your kids tested? I think I'll probably take any of mine in if they have even a low grade fever and cold symptoms. If Florida is doing 100k tests per day I imagine all the pediatrician offices around the country will have plenty of test kits on hand.

My district called for all 1800 students to return to school, students and teachers wear masks. 80% of the school has no air conditioning meaning rooms will have oscillating floor fans. So yeah.

@caz - Did you go get your kids tested? I think I'll probably take any of mine in if they have even a low grade fever and cold symptoms. If Florida is doing 100k tests per day I imagine all the pediatrician offices around the country will have plenty of test kits on hand.

No, We're just quarantining. I'm back to working from home - kind of happy about that!

I watched my sister-in-law get tested because she had a surgery last month. I don't feel the kids would enjoy that much, and what am I actually going to do with that information?

I don't feel the kids would enjoy that much, and what am I actually going to do with that information?

Good point.

I watched my sister-in-law get tested because she had a surgery last month. I don't feel the kids would enjoy that much, and what am I actually going to do with that information?
End the quarantine sooner? Know with certainty that your family won't spread it further.

I had to do unpleasant things as a kid. I'm sure you did too.

Test have come a long way since the 1st rendition that came out. They have the nose test that goes way up in there, but then they also have the nose test for you were you just swirled a swab in your nostrils and then put it into the vile, or they have a cough on to a petri dish and then swab your mouth test as well.... I'm not exactly sure what's so unpleasant about those last 2 choices which I'm sure have become more commonplace now...

Cecil County announces they’d be doing a “hybrid” plan where kids would be phased back in to in-person learning over several months, adjusted based on whether or not there was an uptick in cases at school.

The kicker - it appears that the order in which kids return to school will be based on “need” - which they haven’t really elaborated on yet. I imagine this means the kids on subsidized lunches that rely on schools for a guaranteed meal will be first - fine by me - but then what? Kids with two working parents? Kids of essential workers? Kids who are doing poorly in class? The concern a lot of parents are raising are valid - if their kid was doing well in school last year, (but maybe not coping well with distance learning) will they be left at a disadvantage because the school decides they don’t need in-person lessons anymore?

Sort of a weird approach. I’m glad my kid is 2 (next weekend!) and I don’t have to deal with this yet...

Unrelated - We just had a possible Covid exposure at daycare. They shut the preschool down for a week but left the daycare open (two separate buildings). Wife and I weren’t sure what to make of that call - they have teacher going back and forth between the two buildings all day, parents with kids in both buildings, etc. Not sure how “contained” it would have been. Luckily, the test came back negative...but it left us wondering. Naturally they need income coming in and I’m sure that plays into it but I kind of wish they’d erred on the side of caution and shut the whole facility down until the results came back.

My wife went into the hospital (HMC) last Tuesday. She's had COPD for years, so continuing breathing problems. When the staff in the ED heard her wheezing it triggered their COVID-19 precautions and they tested. Came back negative. She should be home by mid-week.

My wife went into the hospital (HMC) last Tuesday. She's had COPD for years, so continuing breathing problems. When the staff in the ED heard her wheezing it triggered their COVID-19 precautions and they tested. Came back negative. She should be home by mid-week.

Hope all is well Vince. Glad she is coming home.

My thoughts are with you Vince. Hope all goes smoothly for your wife's recovery.

My son's school district is still all over the place and no solid decisions about how the semester is going to proceed. We thought it was all sorted, but now the people that wanted the 5 day in person learning also want no masks and no distancing. Seriously ... WTF?!?!?

It also appears there may no longer be a remote learning option, just Cyber. I'm not sure why they would do that since if they get a spike or the Governor puts York county back into the red phase it will trigger remote learning. We have hedged and taken a dual-enrollment option for my son for his senior year, so he takes 2 HS classes and 2 online classes at PSU. Saves us some tuition money and saves him some exposure all while chopping almost a semester off his college time.

There was a 3 hour board meeting for his HS on Thursday that ended in a shouting match between members and then the Zoom feed cut off. Another meeting is scheduled for this evening. It's a complete mess and there are no "good" options, just competing points of view and assessments of risk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom