Covid-19 thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I didn’t call you a name... but I did call out Andy’s name? Perhaps you’re confused about that... he is the only one who is bringing some common sense and honest discussion here. Are you insulted by me asking you if you’re fearful? Is it fear driving your behavior? If not, what exactly is it?

@BROKEROB1 we do not need the name calling and insults. Your the only one doing it. Please stop.

I'm gonna chime in and change the direction of this thread before it explodes into who-knows-what.....

My wife and I have been talking about relocating. I have the opportunity to be able to work from home a few days a week, and she is able to get a job almost anywhere. If I had to, I think I could find another job that was completely working remotely.

Scenarios:
  1. Our first thought was that we could sell everything, buy a sweet RV and travel the country for a year. The kids could cyber school and I could work remotely.
  2. Our second idea came last night when my wife found what appears to be a pretty sweet job in a "more remote" part of PA. She could work that job, I could come to Lancaster 2 days a week and work remotely for the other three. We could pay cash for a pretty nice house that was less than $200,000 and significantly cut our living expenses.
Crazy talk? Maybe, but who knows? Lots of possibilities with our new reality!

Anyone else thinking along these lines?

Crazy? I wouldn't say so. Some outside the box thinking about the rv.

One of my buddies at work has a girlfriend who lived and worked in Philly. She has been at his place in Lancaster since this all started, recently her work declared that she will work from home for good.

They are hiring people without ever meeting them in person. Zoom interviews, hire them and mail a laptop to them....

OK, Andy, I changed my post to make sure I don’t offend anyone… If you were offended by my reference, I apologize!

Now, I find it fascinating that the folks who are so scared, who continue to post here, actually left the house and went four wheeling this past weekend with other people… Some of whom were out of state!

So are we in fact altering our lifestyles for the greater good? Are we still going to work? Are we still going to the grocery store? Are we still eating out at restaurants? Where should we draw the line, with our personal freedoms? I wonder if some of our tunes would be different here, if we lost our job over the Covid fear?

I really truly want to hear from the people who are screaming the loudest in this thread…

Are you fearful? And what are you fearful of?

I see it posted in this thread, and I’ve seen it posted outside of this thread. I have a hard time seeing why when people are being responsible, it’s being labeled as fear. Unlike many of you, it’s just me in my house, I have no kids and no significant other. I’d imagine things are tough for those with children, it’s a lot to ask to keep them away from their friends and to have to help them learn remotely.
I’m not hunkered down in my house, but I’m also not hanging out in bars, or any crowded enclosed area for that matter. The idea that the general populous should just go back to normal like nothing’s going on seems irresponsible. I don’t think it’s that much of an inconvenience to keep my distance from others. Not because I’m afraid, but because it could keep others safe. It’s not about my personal freedom, at least for me. Sure it’s a pain to put a mask on, but whatever. It’s not really that big of a deal. I don’t mind keeping my distance either. I’m getting a bunch done around the house. Am I a sheep for that? I don’t think so. I can’t imagine our parents/grandparents saying their personal freedoms were violated during the rationing of ww2.

OK, Andy, I changed my post to make sure I don’t offend anyone… If you were offended by my reference, I apologize!

Nope, I'm good. Just trying to keep from getting too critical/political to maintain club unity. After all, we're mostly about Toyota 4x4s - and having a good time in the woods!

Edit: Club vs opinions/viewpoints - It's kind of like when Gary doesn't want his wife and his girlfriend to meet :rofl:

Last edited:
Nope, I'm good. Just trying to keep from getting too critical/political to maintain club unity. After all, we're mostly about Toyota 4x4s - and having a good time in the woods!

Edit: Club vs opinions/viewpoints - It's kind of like when Gary doesn't want his wife and his girlfriend to meet :rofl:
Shhhhhh!!!!!!

I see it posted in this thread, and I’ve seen it posted outside of this thread. I have a hard time seeing why when people are being responsible, it’s being labeled as fear. Unlike many of you, it’s just me in my house, I have no kids and no significant other. I’d imagine things are tough for those with children, it’s a lot to ask to keep them away from their friends and to have to help them learn remotely.
I’m not hunkered down in my house, but I’m also not hanging out in bars, or any crowded enclosed area for that matter. The idea that the general populous should just go back to normal like nothing’s going on seems irresponsible. I don’t think it’s that much of an inconvenience to keep my distance from others. Not because I’m afraid, but because it could keep others safe. It’s not about my personal freedom, at least for me. Sure it’s a pain to put a mask on, but whatever. It’s not really that big of a deal. I don’t mind keeping my distance either. I’m getting a bunch done around the house. Am I a sheep for that? I don’t think so. I can’t imagine our parents/grandparents saying their personal freedoms were violated during the rationing of ww2.

Couldn’t agree more - this is what I’ve been trying to articulate just stated much better.

Fear is an emotion we all posses, we wear seat belts to help save our lives in case of a car accident. We take medication, in my case, so I can stay alive everyday, and HELL yes I'm fearful of getting COVID when I return to the classroom. If wearing a mask is going to help protect each other, until a viable vaccine is made and distributed, then ****ing yes I'm going to wear a mask and not be around people that are not. It's their choice. But mandates are there because our fellow Americans have lost that 'all in it together' attitude like they had during WWII. Where has that gone?

Comment retracted going to stay out of this one.

Last edited:
Our first thought was that we could sell everything, buy a sweet RV and travel the country for a year. The kids could cyber school and I could work remotely.

You're not crazy, or at least not the only one that IS crazy.

I've been working remotely for about 5 years, and my wife has decided to homeschool the kids this year. I actually have her verbal agreement to do what you're proposing as part of my "5 year plan". I'm thinking I need to find a way to move up the time table :)

I'd love to travel full-time, but it would mean finding a new job. I do need to be there SOME of the time. I actually negotiated working remotely for 2-3 days a week into my agreement when I was hired back (was there 18 years, left for 6 and am back for 2 now).

We are seriously considering option #2, moving to a town in the sticks. We have a town we want to go explore more.

Probably a pipe dream, but maybe it'll pan out!

My plan is to move to WV or north central PA in a few years. Hopefully have enough in this house to cash out and pick up a place without a mortgage. I'd add NH or Maine to my list too, but I can't sell my wife on their winters :lol: Doesn't help that the first time she was in NH, it was on a skiing trip, and it was -20* with a 30mph wind. Felt good to me :)

Just when you think your family is safe...BOOM... my niece, sister and 75 year old mother are all COVID + because some MORON living in my in my nieces sorority house decided to "forget" or just not tell the other housemates she was COVID+ and my niece back for the weekend infected her mom and my mom that was visiting. So those that think because you're young and were told the young are safer with Covid you're ****ing idiots.

So those that think because you're young and were told the young are safer with Covid you're f***ing idiots.

First of all I'm sorry your family is having to deal with this directly and I hope they all push through it and regain their health.

On your quote though, I think you're missing the point. Young people are unequivocally better at dealing with the virus than older people. This data is a month old but still probably close to being accurate today. The issue is should young people be around older people, especially young people who are living in a communal setting. My niece just started at Ohio State and she and my brother have already decided she's staying there until the end of term so she doesn't inadvertently bring COVID home.

comparison.PNG

First of all I'm sorry your family is having to deal with this directly and I hope they all push through it and regain their health.

On your quote though, I think you're missing the point. Young people are unequivocally better at dealing with the virus than older people. This data is a month old but still probably close to being accurate today. The issue is should young people be around older people, especially young people who are living in a communal setting. My niece just started at Ohio State and she and my brother have already decided she's staying there until the end of term so she doesn't inadvertently bring COVID home.

View attachment 2446135

The point is although younger people don't have to be hospitalized and are being told that they have a lesser chance of being hospitalized or die they aren't told strongly enough or at all that they can be carriers and infect others easily to those most vulnerable. This makes them complacent and think if they get it they won't die, they brush it off because of that and it's exactly what has been happening in the US colleges and high schools where in some cases parents send their kids to school who knowingly have Covid. These are the morons and f'ing idiots.

I'm gonna chime in and change the direction of this thread before it explodes into who-knows-what.....

My wife and I have been talking about relocating. I have the opportunity to be able to work from home a few days a week, and she is able to get a job almost anywhere. If I had to, I think I could find another job that was completely working remotely.

Scenarios:
  1. Our first thought was that we could sell everything, buy a sweet RV and travel the country for a year. The kids could cyber school and I could work remotely.
  2. Our second idea came last night when my wife found what appears to be a pretty sweet job in a "more remote" part of PA. She could work that job, I could come to Lancaster 2 days a week and work remotely for the other three. We could pay cash for a pretty nice house that was less than $200,000 and significantly cut our living expenses.
Crazy talk? Maybe, but who knows? Lots of possibilities with our new reality!

Andy, my wife and I used to ask ourselves if we want to grow old and angry or grow old and content/happy. We chose content/happy. We are also at a crux, we love our home, if we move west we will no longer have the same lovely old 1914 home that we’ve spent the past 20 years restoring to its original self. Our crux? Moving west will require us to choose between loving our home, or loving where our home is located. There just aren’t very many old restored homes where we want to go. So keeping in mind our motivation for our decision making process, If I were in your shoes? I’m thinking #2. 😎

Reactions: caz
Fortunately, your niece understands the issues. Too many do not.

I had a college-age guy tell me he didn't think some old people in nursing homes dying should affect him going to college. He didn't care if he got COVID - he was sure he'd survive it. My reply was "What about your professors, parents, grandparents, and others who aren't so young and robust that you come in contact with that won't be so lucky?" He didn't have a reply for that...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom