Covid-19 thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Or even don't pay some of it. Keep the cash and deal later. They will be hard pressed to take your home or car right now.

LGH needs blood. There is a blood drive tomorrow at Universal gym on Oregon pike.

Reaching out here.
I just received update that Gov. Carney is issuing the same stay at home ruling as PA and NJ.
Currently my husband and I are in Allentown PA, my concern is will we be able to travel home?

I haven't heard of travel bans accept for the new stay at home in place and limited travel.
I'd just like to make it home....

Avi, state borders are not closed...yet. But I think it’s a real possibility.

We have a place in Ocean City, NJ. I went down there yesterday, and brought back all the food, other consumables, some things of value, and games/puzzles.

I feel ridiculous doing so. But, I’m freaking nervous.

So far I’m still working, but as of Friday morning talks of layoffs were a very real possibility. We only had 5 cars on the schedule for the coming week, and normal is 15-20 a day and usually booking Thursday by Friday.

Pretty well stocked on food, but it’s just me so I don’t have too much to worry about there. As @caz stated I’ve been able to source things at different stores/times. Even went before work Friday. Super weird seeing shelves look like a hurricane is coming.

I’ve got plenty of little projects lined up around the house to keep me occupied if I do get laid off. Honestly I’m more worried about the economic impact more than anything right now.

Hope everyone else is doing well.

Blair I’ve got a week or two worth of work for you over here if you get laid off!

Greg whatever you do don’t watch Contagion!

I’ve got our physical office shutdown. I’ve got an email and request Into the governors office to see if we can continue working on “essential projects” - two customers who don’t have functioning kitchens, and the. continue work on outdoor and vacant house projects with a max team size of 3 guys. So far have only gotten autoreplies. Allegedly they received 10,000+ requests so I’m not too hopeful to get a reply anytime soon.

I really want to know who has all the TP because we can’t seem to find any and I refuse to make multiple trips to stores. We also can’t get diapers online so somebody is buying those up also. I have a surplus of cruisers and cruiser parts, but not enough size 3 diapers!!!

Ben, @fireball , if your customers are cool with you continuing with their projects, carry on. I highly doubt there will be repercussions.

Blair I’ve got a week or two worth of work for you over here if you get laid off!

Me too, and I’m closer, and have a lift!

Sorry, Ben...

Well played Greg.

I do have a cooler full of beer? It’s actually an ARB Fridge sitting in my garage since one of the items on the to do list is to wire the cruiser for the fridge!

My plans have been to finish up this turbo project with lots of scope creep since I am confined to the house...but so far spare time has been hard to find.

Things are calm here in Schuylkill County although today we saw news that the first case of the virus was detected in the Skook. I've been to the grocery store twice since the shutdown started and the only things I couldn't buy were TP and napkins. Weis market was functioning otherwise normally and all the meat displays were full. I have of course stocked up heavily on Miller Lite! Traffic overall is greatly diminished but the number of offroad vehicles buzzing in the woods and mountain behind my house has greatly increased! I tag that to the fact that the kids aren't in school. Finished a Muncie transmission rebuild for a friend's Corvette and am still working on prepping a V6 engine for Rob's 4Runner. Like everyone else I have no idea how long this will last and how many people will be negatively affected either health-wise or economically. My wife is really paranoid about all this and hasn't left the house since getting her hair done two weeks ago. I'm sticking around the house, too, and our church has been live streaming daily services since last Tuesday. If things don't get much worse than this I'll be thrilled.

Props to @jamarquardt22 for the heads up on diapers being available at Giant! We can now rest easy knowing that we won't be using my stash of microfiber detailing towels as diapers for the boys.

Things in the restaurant industry are just plain crazy. I closed the shop in Shrewsbury and it will not re-open. It had already been difficult to staff and just isn't worth the effort after all of this. The store in York remains open, but with a skeleton crew atm and sales figures will dictate if staying open is profitable. I may have to lay off a few full-time employees, one of which is my brother-in-law.

I am glad I anticipated things getting nutty and stocked up the stores on bleach and sanitizer. You can't run a clean restaurant without them and they are out of stock now at our regular supplier. I do have a concern that there has been a run on yeast as well. My supplier in Lancaster is completely out of that as well.

My family is fortunate that my wife (teacher) will continue to be paid through the end of the year regardless if school is cancelled or not. I have concerns about paying the rent at the shop in York and hope the Federal Government offers some type of rent abatement or forgiveness or all people will see when things get back to normal is a bunch of empty strip malls where your favorite mom & pop shops used to be located.

Personally, I'm very concerned about this virus since I have severe asthma which puts me in a high risk group. I do worry that I will end up hospitalized or worse if I end up catching it. I'm cleaning and sanitizing everything in sight multiple times a day and limiting my exposure to the outside world, but I need to vacate the store in Shrewsbury and occasionally check in at the other store in person, so I still have some contact.

On the plus side, I ordered everything needed to do the head gasket on the LX450, so once I'm done in Shrews I can begin that project and get that rig back on the road.

Stay safe everyone!!!

I do IT stuff now, so I spent all of last week prepping for the firm I work for to close their offices across the nation and make sure the staff could work from home.

My first day working from home was today. I feel fortunate to be able to do so.

There isn't ever much traffic where I live in Seven Valleys, so I can't offer up much on if people are staying inside.

While I no longer work in EMS... Much of my family and friends are first responders, work in ER's, hospitals, etc...

Right now, here... I struggle to write or explain properly the stories they are telling me. So, I won't.

Thanks for creating the thread @Crusha

Be safe everyone.

My wife is a nurse and had to do a virus test on someone last night. The nursing home is already out of masks and gowns. No gear left to protect the front lines and it has only just started!!

I went to Costco tonight and it was a ghost town. Got in and out and found everything I was looking for except TP, hamburger and frozen chicken breasts.

Oh, and my brother-in-law has lost it. He is convinced that the world is ending. He went out and bought a $500 gun today even though they have already been struggling to make ends meet, and I am pretty sure he is the one with all of the TP....

Last edited:
I know I'm not in PA but no one started a thread like this down in CLCC country. My wife and 4 kids (3, 6, 8, 10) and I have been holed up at our house since last Monday after I picked up my 80 from @OTRAMM 's shop. My wife hasn't wanted me to leave our house/yard since. She doesn't want my 10 yo son to take the trash can to the street or back, doesn't want to get the mail or handle packages for fear of the virus shedding off the myriad number of people in the supply chain of everything. The VA governor just cancelled public school statewide for the rest of the year like that needed to be done right now in March for some reason. So now on top of worrying about the virus she's now trying to figure out how to home school 3 kids. She's been stocking up food and TP since a few weeks ago so we're probably good for another couple three weeks but with the constant barrage of worse-case scenarios she doesn't think even that's enough. She finally deleted her FB app off her phone which is great. I swear, nothing good has ever come from that company. Thankfully, as many others in the DC suburban swamp, I work for a government contractor so I've been able to work from home supporting our clients. I can't imagine having to worry about losing my job during all this. I really feel guilty that I'm not able to help out more. My wife has been sending Amazon orders of diapers to the local family shelters but now ship estimates for those are weeks out.

Fortunately my kids have taken all this in stride. We've done a lot of work in the yard and caught up on maintenance on all our small engine equipment. I've started on a long overdue shackle and pin bushing replacement on my 40 but had to order some parts (thanks for being open Conicelli Toyota) much to my wife's shagrin . I'm guessing I won't be able to touch those parts boxes for a few days after I get them. And I'm not sure how she's going to accept me going to pick up 2 packages of bees I ordered 3 months ago on Thursday. Bad year to lose 3 out of 5 hives over winter.

But overall I'm optimistic. I just hope when we come out the other side of this what's left still resembles the America it was before this started.

Be safe out there and thank you to all you (and spouses of) first responders, doctors and especially the nurses. We know you're the real front line of our national response.

Edited to remove a slight political commentary.

Last edited:
I'm just outside Allentown and a auto tech at a pretty big shop. Typically we are pretty busy, now only a few cars a day. We are a essential job but are flat rate so a large part of our shop will be a guaranty time. Also we got our essential workforce forms today we pretty much means they will be enforcing people staying home soon. It really isn't a bad thing here, it's just starting to hit people that this isn't a joke. Everyone has been acting like they got some 2 week vacation.

As far as prepared, we can go a month pretty easy without going out. We are typically well stocked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom