Cooper STT's a second look (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I"ve put about 7,000mi. on my 285-75-16 STT's so far, and I can honestly say they been the best tire I"ve bought.

They are wearing evenly and balancing out good. But one of the best things that I like is that they excel in the snow...even the deep stuff... great traction.

I use my cruiser for hunting, camping and expedition use, so they see a lot of dirt, snow and lite rocks (not hard core).

On the road there a little noisy, but what MT"s are not...they should be with those open lugs.

Would I buy another set...you bet I would!!! mabey 315's next time.

Scott
IMG_0980.jpg
IMG_0999.jpg
IMG_0751.jpg

here's a couple more pic's of snow wheelin with the STT"s
IMG_0994.jpg
IMG_0987.jpg

Last edited:
A couple of us in the Rising Sun Club like our STT's in winter conditions as well.

hey bikeman, I"ve ran older style BFG's MT's they were ok in the snow, but I like the STT"s much better.
Mabey the new BFG MT's are better than the old style...dont know.

Scott

Cool pics!!! We've been running them on a few of our work trucks for a couple years now and nothing but good things to say about them. They're on heavy/loaded down Cummins work trucks in and out of the mines always with good luck.
Cheers!

My buddy has these tires on his Grand Cherokee and he ran circles around me in the deep snow last week. I'm on 285 MTRs at about 2/3 tread and his SST's are new but its a *eep!!!! They seem quiter than the MTR's too. If they make these in a 255/85 they will be my next tire.

Got any lift or are you stock height? Still trying to decide whether to run those or TrXus for my next set of tires. Nice pics BTW.:)

My buddy has these tires on his Grand Cherokee and he ran circles around me in the deep snow last week. I'm on 285 MTRs at about 2/3 tread and his SST's are new but its a *eep!!!! They seem quiter than the MTR's too. If they make these in a 255/85 they will be my next tire.

Here is a newsflash - 80's sink in deep snow. It is a huge liability due to weight.

And JGC have V8's. It wasn't your MTR's vs. the STT. It's power, weight, and ground clearance.

The STT has the same tread as the Toyo MT. The Toyos are ok in deep snow, but unless it is fresher powder they tend to dig. If you spend time in older cystallized snow that acts more like heavy sand, you'll find it's more digging than paddling forward, and with the weight of the 80 digging means sitting on the frame in a hurry.

I'm not saying these aren't good snow tires, they are, I'd just be careful about being overconfident with them in deeper, heavier "old" snow, especially if you are out alone.

I want to eventually pick up a set of IROK's for harder core crawling and snow wheeling for this reason. I'm starting to think the perfect combo is a set of 37x12.5x17 Nitto Terra Grapplers plus 37" IROKs for the really fun stuff.

Here is a newsflash - 80's sink in deep snow. It is a huge liability due to weight.

And JGC have V8's. It wasn't your MTR's vs. the STT. It's power, weight, and ground clearance.

The STT has the same tread as the Toyo MT. The Toyos are ok in deep snow, but unless it is fresher powder they tend to dig. If you spend time in older cystallized snow that acts more like heavy sand, you'll find it's more digging than paddling forward, and with the weight of the 80 digging means sitting on the frame in a hurry.

I'm not saying these aren't good snow tires, they are, I'd just be careful about being overconfident with them in deeper, heavier "old" snow, especially if you are out alone.

I want to eventually pick up a set of IROK's for harder core crawling and snow wheeling for this reason. I'm starting to think the perfect combo is a set of 37x12.5x17 Nitto Terra Grapplers plus 37" IROKs for the really fun stuff.

Nay, LOW TIRE PRESSURE IS THE KEY!!!
Go as low as you can, the cruiser will stay on top and the MT lugs will bit and keep you going forward...AT's will slip more.

In those pic's I was running 15lbs because the snow was very dry, but when wet or crusty I run them down to 7lbs or a little lower if conditions are really bad.

My cruiser is probly lighter than most, no heavy bumpers, winch, sliders, cargo racks, hitch, 2nd and 3rd row seats, gas cans or the such...seams to stay on top verses digging down to dirt.

I have used AT's and MT's in the deep snow...MT's work better because of the open lugs ( I probly opened up a can of worms on that one).

Nay, LOW TIRE PRESSURE IS THE KEY!!!
Go as low as you can, the cruiser will stay on top and the MT lugs will bit and keep you going forward...AT's will slip more.

In those pic's I was running 15lbs because the snow was very dry, but when wet or crusty I run them down to 7lbs or a little lower if conditions are really bad.

My cruiser is probly lighter than most, no heavy bumpers, winch, sliders, cargo racks, hitch, 2nd and 3rd row seats, gas cans or the such...seams to stay on top verses digging down to dirt.

I have used AT's and MT's in the deep snow...MT's work better because of the open lugs ( I probly opened up a can of worms on that one).

I wheel very low (and my Toyos are a lot wider than your STT's), and my 80 is about as light as heavily modded 80's get (I just have tube bumpers). MT's work infinitely better than AT's in deep snow.

This goes back to "what kind of snow", of course. Colorado powder really can turn into what feels like endlessly deep sand on the beach, and the lighter rigs like mini-trucks just have an enormous advantage due to weight differences.

Nonetheless, the MTR/STT/Toyo really are all rock tires and lack a good paddle outer lug, and as depth and what amounts to viscosity of the snow increases, these tires show their limitations on a really heavy rig. Much as they show those limitations in heavy mud.

Glad you like them, I'd definitely buy a set of 37's as it is a good tire and for the type of snow wheeling that is reasonable for a rig this heavy, and this tread pattern works plenty well. Realistically, if you are dragging both axles through heavy snow and starting to drag the frame, you'd better have momentum, higher RPM, and both axles locked with an 80.

I could have taken some good video of trying to follow the built mini-trucks on a recent snow run of my 80 sitting frame deep (and this is 3'+ crystallized powder, mind you) with all four tires spinning effortlessly in idle. Really doesn't matter what tires you have when they aren't touching anything anymore :D

deleted

Last edited:
I had STTs on a pickup and they ruled in the snow and mud. Ice, not so good, but not terrible. They wore out in less than a year though. Probably 15k on them.

After running my STT's for 2-1/2 years I can say they grip rock like mad and shed snow and mud pretty well.

All of that comes with a price. They chunk like crazy at 12-15 psi and wear quickly. I've also tore 2 sidewalls.

Not sure if I would do them again, because I have to order them. I may go to BFG muds because they are more readily available.

Here is a shot of mine after 2 years and 25K miles
15-2yr_Update.JPG

I need to get a new pic up after last month playing in some Oyster shells out in Plaster City, CA. This was the first time I have noticed some rubber missing off of the nubies.
P1010040.JPG

I'll have to snap some pics of mine. I got them in Sept. 2006 and they look almost done compared to yours. Major chunking and not even 1/2 the tread left. Appx 25k miles.

I just put 37" STTs on my personal project FZJ80 and so far, they've been great. BTW, great truck color, great to see it out wheeling!

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/263072-install-37s-wheel-rinse-repeat.html

Dave

Hi Dave,
Those 37's look great, I bet they would tear up the deep snow!

I take this LX up to the sierra's alot on hunting trips and snow wheelin adventures...these are awesome rigs and Im not scared to wheel it hard...thats what I bought it for. :)

Thanks...Scott

I'll have to snap some pics of mine. I got them in Sept. 2006 and they look almost done compared to yours. Major chunking and not even 1/2 the tread left. Appx 25k miles.

You must really offroad your setup then. :D

Mine have touched rock.:hillbilly: I'm happy with them, but if I were replacing all four would have gone with the Nitto Terra Grapplers in 37x12.5, IMHO for my use a better tire. I never expect the life that some claim to get, my tires spend too much time on rock.
cooper_1.jpg
cooper_2.jpg

Just some clarifications

:doh:

The snow on the day I was referring to was the fresh kinda wet snow we get here in the North West only about 12 to 16 inches at the deepest, the MTR's were not clearing the snow out of the lugs turning the contact patch into ice while the JGC was doing donuts in 2WD. On a straight downhill my front tires packed up and I had to winch out of the ditch then chain up to get back up the hill while my freind did most of it in 2WD.

The following week we went out again but it had not snowed that week and the snow had a thick crust on top. Neither of us were getting thru easly, the jeep could go a little farther before breaking thru but he still got stuck several times while I was able to get around with out chains and pull him out.

quote]

My buddys JGC is a six cylinder on 31 inch tires and a 1 inch lift. I have a supercharger on 32.5 inch tires with a 2.5 inch lift. Both are straight front axle.

That said I think I had my air pressure too high also @ 35lbs. but we were trying to compair the different tires and he had his @ 35lbs. and did not want to air down because it was working for him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom