Cooper STT's a second look (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mine have touched rock.:hillbilly: I'm happy with them, but if I were replacing all four would have gone with the Nitto Terra Grapplers in 37x12.5, IMHO for my use a better tire. I never expect the life that some claim to get, my tires spend too much time on rock.

Ya your right, coopers do chunk-up in hard core rocks, I've seen other posts about that, but for all around wheelin, were you want an MT tire I would still pick the STT's :)

Ya your right, coopers do chunk-up in hard core rocks, ...

Correction, ALL tires get ripped up in sharp rock, some worse than others, I would rate the Coopers as a little better than average.

I don't consider the wheeling that I do as "hardcore". If an 80 tried most of the hardcore trails around here it would come out looking like a raisin, if it made it. I enjoy challenging myself and the rig, but for the most part drive it within it's capability, it still has shinny body work and flairs, plan to keep it that way. So pink panties hardcore?:hillbilly:

I've seen other posts about that, but for all around wheelin, were you want an MT tire I would still pick the STT's :)

I agree the STT's are good tires. It's impossible to recommend a universal wheeling tire, the best tire varies with rig, terrain, type of wheeling, etc. Where I wheel there is little/no real mud, more like wet sand and IH8MUD. I don't have a problem with snow, kinda cool stuff, but my research has shown that it's always accompanied by cold and I hate cold!:princess: In desert terrain A/T tires work well, grip rock well, less tendency to dig in sand, good tread life, etc, so mud tires aren't really needed.

OK here's my Cooper's after 25k at the most. Purchased in Sept. 06. This is mostly Southern AZ wheeling, with some Utah, Nevada, and New Mexico thrown in there.

Like I said, they grip like crazy but wear quickly as well.

DSC02667.jpg
DSC02668.jpg
DSC02669.jpg

These pix were taken a couple of years ago. The rigs wheel together often, run most trails together, the Nitto’s are more often on the more aggressive line and have run more trails than the BFG’s.

Most of the locals that wheel have switched from the BFG’s. They appear to have a harder tread compound for long highway tread life, so don’t grip as well and chunk more than average.

My Coopers pictured above were purchased used, the rears (pictured) were older than the fronts. The fronts have much less chunking and have been on the exact same trails. Tires get harder as they age, most are very hard at 4yrs, old tires have less grip, slip more, chunk more, have much more tendency to be out of round, separate, etc. When buying tires take the miles per year that you drive into account, if the rig doesn’t see a lot of miles, a softer, more aggressive tire is probably a better tire. Plan for them to wear out in less than 4yrs, 3 yrs is better.
bfg.jpg
nitto_23K.jpg
ntg_1.jpg

Hey Kevin,
I had a set of BFG's AT's KO's on the cruiser when I bought it, about 90% tread left, they ran good on the sreet, very smooth but didnt have the traction that I was looking for.I sold them on craigs list for $325 cash. I have another set on my 2001 tundra...hate them, there noisy and pull hard to the right, taken it in did alin job, balance, rotat stuff no change bad set of tires, mabey blems.

I live close to the sierra nevada mountains so I see a lot of snow( nor cal) and only 57 mi. from begining of the rubicon trail ( wheeled it more times than I would say) MT's seem to be the best tire for winter cond. here.

I wouldnt buy BFG's again, I just dont like them AT's or MT's. The STT's to me, are a better tire.
IMG_0976.jpg
IMG_0966.jpg

I would try the nitto's grappler's on my tundra next time, when the BFG AT's wear out.

These pix were taken a couple of years ago. The rigs wheel together often, run most trails together, the Nitto’s are more often on the more aggressive line and have run more trails than the BFG’s.

Most of the locals that wheel have switched from the BFG’s. They appear to have a harder tread compound for long highway tread life, so don’t grip as well and chunk more than average.

My Coopers pictured above were purchased used, the rears (pictured) were older than the fronts. The fronts have much less chunking and have been on the exact same trails. Tires get harder as they age, most are very hard at 4yrs, old tires have less grip, slip more, chunk more, have much more tendency to be out of round, separate, etc. When buying tires take the miles per year that you drive into account, if the rig doesn’t see a lot of miles, a softer, more aggressive tire is probably a better tire. Plan for them to wear out in less than 4yrs, 3 yrs is better.

Those Nittos are in great shape for being that old and well wheeled.

I've never kept a set of offroad tires for more than 2.5 years. Sell them at 50% tread for 40% of purchase price and get your next set.

I agree completely on the soft tires if you don't put that many miles on the rig. You just get way more benefit in a 2 year lifespan that way. I put max 7,500 miles a year on my rig, probably a third of which involve getting offroad at some point. I could probably get away with just running IROKs if I really wanted to. :hmm:

OK here's my Cooper's after 25k at the most. Purchased in Sept. 06. This is mostly Southern AZ wheeling, with some Utah, Nevada, and New Mexico thrown in there.

Like I said, they grip like crazy but wear quickly as well.

I almost snapped some updated photos yesterday while working on the rig but never got the camera out. Mine haven't done nearly enough wheeling but I have done all kinds from Death Valley slate to Baja sand and the hardest rocky ground I have ever seen. But the oyster shells have given them the most visible beating. And my pic up above was two years this past November.

Im running the 850/860 combo, works excellent, very happy with this set-up
I have Slee's offroad blue caster bushings up front...works good if you you dont have bumper winch combo. the 850's( front) gave me about 2.75 in. off lift
The 860's about 3.2in. when settled in.
IMG_0588.jpg

Last edited:
Right now there are some Cooper STT blems on ebay in 315/75/16 going for $150 + $35 for shipping.

Right now there are some Cooper STT blems on ebay in 315/75/16 going for $150 + $35 for shipping.

I'd sell my 285's with 75-80% tread left and buy some 315 blems if someone wants to buy my 285's. PM me with an offer if interested.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/sale-tires-wheels/268483-5-285-75r16-cooper-stts-75%-tread-central-ia.html

It says that there are "tolerance or appearances"that make them blems.

Has anyone had any problems with blem tires? I would imagine if they were too far out of tolerance they wouldn't balance correctly.

Last edited:
It says that there are "tolerance or appearances"that make them blems.

Has anyone had any problems with blem tires? I would imagine if they were too far out of tolerance they wouldn't balance correctly.

Mine arrived today. The only visual blemish was that on the side with white lettering, some white paint was missing on the bottom of the letters. I have not mounted them yet so i don't know yet if that's all it is.

Mine arrived today. The only visual blemish was that on the side with white lettering, some white paint was missing on the bottom of the letters. I have not mounted them yet so i don't know yet if that's all it is.

Let me know if you like the Blems....were they a lot cheaper??

Scott

Good to see the feedback. I read all the comparisons with the Toyo's and when I saw the blems I said hell I'll try them out for that price. If I only get half the mileage of the Toyo's I only paid half the price and will be fine with that. I bought a set of the same 315 blems yesterday and will be in on Monday looking forward to it. :) Seems they are selling pretty good he had another set coming to the cajun state as well. To bad I couldn't time it with the shipping. I called them and spoke to Troy who was good to deal with :beer:

Let me know if you like the Blems....were they a lot cheaper??

Scott

$750 to the door for me. Local tire shops wanted $1200 and $1400 of course thats including a bill and change for mounting and balancing but I have a friend that'll hook me up.

I got mine mounted - I did it myself with just tire irons. I used 10oz of airsoft beads in each tires for balancing. Probably need just a tad more as there is a slight vibration at highway speed. They are still smoother than the Revo's I took off and not noticeably louder at street speeds. I notice the hum a little more on the highway but still not loud.

Out in the snow again...what a good snow tire, very grippy, and cleans well.
IMG_1034.jpg

I received my blems today and don't see anything that stands out to label them blems. I guess we'll see.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I got mine mounted - I did it myself with just tire irons. I used 10oz of airsoft beads in each tires for balancing. Probably need just a tad more as there is a slight vibration at highway speed. They are still smoother than the Revo's I took off and not noticeably louder at street speeds. I notice the hum a little more on the highway but still not loud.

did the tire irons damage the aluminum wheels? post a pic of the truck with the new tires if you get a chance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom