Coolant Leak frustration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
87 FJ60 smogged and stock. Under a year ago replace all coolant hoses, water pump,Tstat, Had a recent issue with a small leak of coolant coming from front driver side. i looked under the top radiator hose and head a pretty steady drip. So bit the bullet and bought a new radiator CSF 2708. Replaced it this last weekend. Everything went back together well. refilled it using the "so spill" funnel. got a lot of air out. turned on the front and rear heat. let it run to operating temp. no leaks! and stayed at temp. drove it the next day. no issue. Drove the this morning got it to operating temp. parked at work turned it off and after about 2 minutes gush of coolant on the ground!!!! WTF. looked at the top to see if I can figure out where its coming from. no residual by the cap or overflow reservoir. It seems like its to full then when it gets to pressure a burst comes out. But where else can it come from??? I know the Water pump has a weep hole. But this is no weep my friend.

Can I have to much coolant in there? I figured it was fill the radiator to the top. fill the over flow half way when cold and your good

Where on the ground is it? Front/rear etc. Does the leak only occur after highway runs? If you cannot see where it is coming from with engine running, rent a pressure tester from Autozone or somewhere. Pressurize the system and check for leaks. On mine idling does not typically produce leaks. Its only with the system up to higher pressure (like you might see on running highway speeds) that I can find them. How are your BVSV's? Lots of places for leaks to occur on the front of the engine. Thermo-housing, BVSV's, upper hose, radiator itself, etc. Have you tested the radiator cap to see that it works properly? HTH.

You didn't say you replaced the cap, so when you do the pressure test, don't forget to test the cap as well. When the coolant gets hot, it expands. The seal in the cap is supposed to lift and allow coolant to flow into the expansion tank. When it cools down, the coolant volume in the engine gets smaller, and the coolant should get sucked back into the radiator.

If the tube to the overflow tank has a hole, then coolant can leak out when cap lifts. AND coolant won't get sucked back into the engine when it cools.

Where on the ground is it? Front/rear etc. Does the leak only occur after highway runs? If you cannot see where it is coming from with engine running, rent a pressure tester from Autozone or somewhere. Pressurize the system and check for leaks. On mine idling does not typically produce leaks. Its only with the system up to higher pressure (like you might see on running highway speeds) that I can find them. How are your BVSV's? Lots of places for leaks to occur on the front of the engine. Thermo-housing, BVSV's, upper hose, radiator itself, etc. Have you tested the radiator cap to see that it works properly? HTH.
Front almost middle but more on the passenger. Wasn't on the highway this morning. But with warm up and a ten minute drive. But if I do that same thing in the afternoon I don't get the gush of coolant. I will check the BVSV's. no leak from the upper hose. I don't see anything from the Thermo housing. I just did the thermostat and new gasket. the cap is new toyota

Use the Toyota hoop clamps on all the hoses. Use their special spring clamp on the big radiator inlet hose

You didn't say you replaced the cap, so when you do the pressure test, don't forget to test the cap as well. When the coolant gets hot, it expands. The seal in the cap is supposed to lift and allow coolant to flow into the expansion tank. When it cools down, the coolant volume in the engine gets smaller, and the coolant should get sucked back into the radiator.

If the tube to the overflow tank has a hole, then coolant can leak out when cap lifts. AND coolant won't get sucked back into the engine when it cools.
Cap is new Toyota. I don't see any residual from the reservoir. its new also. Less then a year. I will check both again

If the cooling system is full and bled of air - rad is full to the cap, you don’t need much more than an inch or 2 of coolant in the overflow when the engine is cold.

If the cooling system is full and bled of air - rad is full to the cap, you don’t need much more than an inch or 2 of coolant in the overflow when the engine is cold.
is it supposed to be filled between empty and full when engine is cold?

The coolant level should be at the high mark in the overflow tank when the engine is hot and fully up to temperature. When the engine cools down it should drop about mid tank

The coolant level should be at the high mark in the overflow tank when the engine is hot and fully up to temperature. When the engine cools down it should drop about mid tank
That’s what I had thought. Where could the burp out happen?

I haven’t pressure tested yet but. It leaked the minute I got home. I tightened up the clamp. So now I will let it cool and pressure test it

B83DE239-1046-4FD0-84D0-F69411FB8FE5.jpeg

Tightened all the clamps coming from the water pump and pressure tested. No leak at this point! So hopefully that was it. Im shocked that those clamps would have loosened up. is there a better hose clamp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom