Coolant Filter Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Take your best guess what this is for. Here's a hint, it fits on an 80. More to come.

(edited teaser subject line, seeing how the guessing is done with)

Rich

Re:Who can guess ?

It's a plate?

Skidplate for the a/c evaporator on 95-97s?
Really, REALLY stout license plate bracket?
Skidplate for exposed Catalytic converters?
Center diff skidplate?

Who can guess ?

Steering box mount strengthening plate, to fix the chassis cracks where the steering box mounts.

Oh I know I know!!!!!
battery mount tray
probably not but hard to tell iwhtout dimensions.
Dave

Who can guess ?

In response to replies received so far: yep, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, ? :banana:? :banana:? :banana:, nope - 12" x 6" x .375", nope.

Hint: Think jigsaw puzzle. ;)

Rich,
What do we win if we guess correctly?
Inside or outside?
Some type of plate that attaches to the 3rd row seat brackets?

-B-

Who can guess ?

Part of an on-board-air mount system.

Who can guess ?

offroadkid, nope, but so far you are first contender for most creative guess award.

B, what you win is self satisfaction, such as it may be.

Cdan, you are half right! Bonus points if you can say where it goes. Hint: three of the six holes match factory locations.

Htopper, it is bolt on, but not for supercharger or turbo, sorry.

Who can guess ?

Which half? :rolleyes:

I say the three holes at the top around the notch are the matching holes.

mount plate for the reservoir to be mounted next to the t case?
Dave

Who can guess ?

Ok, here is where it goes. The top two and the bottom right bolts utilize existing factory nuts already welded to the firewall.

Who can guess ?

And here is what is mounted on it:

And here is the story. Early this summer I discovered that I had the "gray sludge" in my radiator. I flushed the engine. I used Prestone cleaner, back flushing tee, yada yada yada. Doing so did not clean the sludge out of the radiator. So I pulled the radiator, took it to a commercial radiator shop, and they pressure flushed the radiator. The sludge is kind of like clay, and with enough force, can be cleaned out. It is not at all scaly or crusty like typical cooling system corrosion.

Anyway, a month ago I checked the radiator again and there was more sludge evident. Not near as bad as before, but still there nonetheless. Actually, I guess, moretheless. So there are two possibilities: 1) more sludge is forming even as you are reading this posting and man, I sure hope not! Or 2) Pre-existing sludge elsewhere in the engine is still moving around and accumulating in the radiator; this I consider very likely, as it took a lot of water and pressure for the shop to clean out the radiator.

I wanted to ensure that after I clean the radiator one more time, it does not get clogged up again. So what you are looking at is a bypass coolant filter. The feed tees into the heater line on top of the block. The outlet tees into the heater return where the rear heater return line connects to the front heater return line on the firewall next to the back of the engine. The filter is specifically for filtering coolant and is typically used on big rig engines (think semi trailer).

I don't look forward to pulling the radiator again and hope this is the last time I have to do so for quite some time.

Rich

Rich,
Assuming #1, wouldn't the sludge still accumulate in the heater core and the radiator with some, but only a fraction, passing through and being trapped in this filter... but unless you put the filter between the block and the radiator I don't understand how it would clean up all the sludge.

Assuming #2, then do you have any ideas what caused the sludge to start forming or why it continues to build up?

Please keep us posted on what you find in the filter each time you check or change it. This is interesting...

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom