1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Continuing the...now that it's cold out theme.

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Safado, Dec 5, 2003.

1. Safado

Safado

So I figured I'd chime in here now that the temps are starting to drop.

1. Transmission doesn't shift from 3rd to OD on a cold morning. It eventually will and then all seems fine, but it seems the first shift to OD just takes longer. Have heard that this can be working as designed and trying to heat things up a bit more before going into OD, bust just wanted to check.

2. Steering is moaning on turns. It doesn't seem to be a "warm-up" issue as much. The first few turns out of my house and neighborhood are always accompanied by the steering moaning. But if I take it into the city it seems to work its way out as I have to make several twists and turns of the wheel. However if I take it straight to the highway, I could be miles down the road at my exit, heater and everything all warmed up, but the steering still moans. That's why I was saying it doesn't seem all that much like a warm-up issue as it does a "loosen-up" issue. Fluid levels are fine and clear.

Thanks.

2. Rogue

Rogue

1. No worries. That is normal.

2. Go Hydro. :D

3. ppc

ppc M Go Blue

1. Working as designed. Quoting from my 94 FSM

"On this model, if the coolant temperature falls below 55C (1331F) the ECM sends a signal to the TCM, preventing the transmission from up-shifting into overdrive"

2. Have you checked the condition of the fluid? Sounds like maybe some air is getting into the system.

4. Safado

Safado

Thanks Rouge...We need to go out and wheel some time...I got to bring the "new" 80 by too. Little more info on the Hydro?

PPC Looked through mine and didn't find anything like that...page ref? Why would the PS just start doing this now in the cold? Thanks.

5. Rogue

Rogue

[quote author=Safado link=board=2;threadid=8474;start=msg72099#msg72099 date=1070691186]
    Little more info on the Hydro?
    [/quote]

You would be the first that I know of to do it on an 80. I'll give you a dollar if you do. :D

6. Jomama

Jomama

Media:
    Albums:
    My steering squeeks as its turned right up at the top of the column when its cold. Goes away after a min or two. ???

7. ppc

ppc M Go Blue

Safado,

In my manual it is on page AT-10 about 1/2 the way down the page under the section "4. Function of the TCM"

The PS problem may be showing up because of many reasons such as:
    Wear – caused by mileage, time, dirty fluid etc., remember this fluid is not filtered
    Deterioration of hoses and connections – age, ozone, chemicals, vibration, constant flexing from pressure variations

The end result being the symptoms you are describing
    Metals shrink when cold. Run it a few minutes metal warms up and expands reducing clearances gaps are sealed etc. system acts more like it did in the summertime.

8. RavenTai

RavenTai

I would assume that the PS fluid is original factory fill? If so it is over 10 years old, I would be interested to see if replacing it with a good synthetic ATF (PAO based group IV like Mobil1 or Amsoil) fixes your cold morning moaning

should only take 2-3 quarts to exchange all the fluid in the PS system, would not cost much to find out

9. landtoy80

landtoy80

My fj60 made that noise from the PS. I rebuilt it and it went away.
    I have a rebuild kit for the 80, I had a hose leak and I ran it dry. I was going to rebuild it but I am lazy and it is quiet at this time. It is now on the bottom of the 80dofixlist. And the list is getting longer as the weather gets colder.

10. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    [quote author=Jomama link=board=2;threadid=8474;start=msg72104#msg72104 date=1070693841]
    My steering squeeks as its turned right up at the top of the column when its cold. Goes away after a min or two. ???
    [/quote]

Your horn contact ring on the back of the steering wheel is dry. Remove the steering wheel and clean the old, dry grease off of the ring and horn contact plunger. Re-grease with a light coat of MP grease and re-assemble. Torque the steering wheel nut to 25 lbft.

NOTE: The above process applies ONLY to vehicles that are NOT airbag equipped.

11. landtoy80

landtoy80

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=8474;start=msg72154#msg72154 date=1070729760]
    Your horn contact ring on the back of the steering wheel is dry. Remove the steering wheel and clean the old, dry grease off of the ring and horn contact plunger. Re-grease with a light coat of MP grease and re-assemble. Torque the steering wheel nut to 25 lbft.

NOTE: The above process applies ONLY to vehicles that are NOT airbag equipped.
    [/quote]

Too much work.
    Just have the wife go out and start the 80 and turn the wheel till it stops. :D