Continuing the...now that it's cold out theme. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I figured I'd chime in here now that the temps are starting to drop.

1. Transmission doesn't shift from 3rd to OD on a cold morning. It eventually will and then all seems fine, but it seems the first shift to OD just takes longer. Have heard that this can be working as designed and trying to heat things up a bit more before going into OD, bust just wanted to check.

2. Steering is moaning on turns. It doesn't seem to be a "warm-up" issue as much. The first few turns out of my house and neighborhood are always accompanied by the steering moaning. But if I take it into the city it seems to work its way out as I have to make several twists and turns of the wheel. However if I take it straight to the highway, I could be miles down the road at my exit, heater and everything all warmed up, but the steering still moans. That's why I was saying it doesn't seem all that much like a warm-up issue as it does a "loosen-up" issue. Fluid levels are fine and clear.

Thanks.

1. No worries. That is normal.

2. Go Hydro. :D

1. Working as designed. Quoting from my 94 FSM

"On this model, if the coolant temperature falls below 55C (1331F) the ECM sends a signal to the TCM, preventing the transmission from up-shifting into overdrive"

2. Have you checked the condition of the fluid? Sounds like maybe some air is getting into the system.

Thanks Rouge...We need to go out and wheel some time...I got to bring the "new" 80 by too. Little more info on the Hydro?

PPC Looked through mine and didn't find anything like that...page ref? Why would the PS just start doing this now in the cold? Thanks.

[quote author=Safado link=board=2;threadid=8474;start=msg72099#msg72099 date=1070691186]
Little more info on the Hydro?
[/quote]

You would be the first that I know of to do it on an 80. I'll give you a dollar if you do. :D

My steering squeeks as its turned right up at the top of the column when its cold. Goes away after a min or two. ???

Safado,

In my manual it is on page AT-10 about 1/2 the way down the page under the section "4. Function of the TCM"

The PS problem may be showing up because of many reasons such as:
Wear – caused by mileage, time, dirty fluid etc., remember this fluid is not filtered
Deterioration of hoses and connections – age, ozone, chemicals, vibration, constant flexing from pressure variations

The end result being the symptoms you are describing
Metals shrink when cold. Run it a few minutes metal warms up and expands reducing clearances gaps are sealed etc. system acts more like it did in the summertime.

I would assume that the PS fluid is original factory fill? If so it is over 10 years old, I would be interested to see if replacing it with a good synthetic ATF (PAO based group IV like Mobil1 or Amsoil) fixes your cold morning moaning

should only take 2-3 quarts to exchange all the fluid in the PS system, would not cost much to find out

My fj60 made that noise from the PS. I rebuilt it and it went away.
I have a rebuild kit for the 80, I had a hose leak and I ran it dry. I was going to rebuild it but I am lazy and it is quiet at this time. It is now on the bottom of the 80dofixlist. And the list is getting longer as the weather gets colder.

[quote author=Jomama link=board=2;threadid=8474;start=msg72104#msg72104 date=1070693841]
My steering squeeks as its turned right up at the top of the column when its cold. Goes away after a min or two. ???
[/quote]

Your horn contact ring on the back of the steering wheel is dry. Remove the steering wheel and clean the old, dry grease off of the ring and horn contact plunger. Re-grease with a light coat of MP grease and re-assemble. Torque the steering wheel nut to 25 lbft.

NOTE: The above process applies ONLY to vehicles that are NOT airbag equipped.

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=8474;start=msg72154#msg72154 date=1070729760]
Your horn contact ring on the back of the steering wheel is dry. Remove the steering wheel and clean the old, dry grease off of the ring and horn contact plunger. Re-grease with a light coat of MP grease and re-assemble. Torque the steering wheel nut to 25 lbft.

[/quote]

Too much work.
Just have the wife go out and start the 80 and turn the wheel till it stops. :D

[quote author=Jomama link=board=2;threadid=8474;start=msg72104#msg72104 date=1070693841]

[/QUOTE]
Reviving ancient thread as I've got my steering wheel off for new leather and have had the dreaded occasional squeak/dust grinding noise off and on.

Just plain old multi-purpose grease and not dielectric grease for the horn ring and horn contact plunger? Got the torque specs! Thanks!!!

I use wheel bearing grease. A light swipe. I suggest you replace your horn contact pin while you have it apart. I suspect 26 years of turning has worn a fair bit of it off.

I use wheel bearing grease. A light swipe. I suggest you replace your horn contact pin while you have it apart. I suspect 26 years of turning has worn a fair bit of it off.
Thanks Dan...you know me, how easy is the contact pin to replace and is it still available?

Ok, from a 2007 thread you commented on Dan:
You need to remove the steering wheel and then remove the combination switch and replace the horn contact pin (84312-12040). Pin on ToyotaPartsDeal is all of $7.71.
Now what/where is the combination switch? Will it be obvious when I get the pin? TIA!!!

The turn signal switch assembly. The pin comes out toward the driver

Ok, from a 2007 thread you commented on Dan:
You need to remove the steering wheel and then remove the combination switch and replace the horn contact pin (84312-12040). Pin on ToyotaPartsDeal is all of $7.71.
Now what/where is the combination switch? Will it be obvious when I get the pin? TIA!!!
The turn signal switch assembly. The pin comes out toward the driver
You guys have the exact same "joined" date...weird.

Stalker :flipoff2:

We're the same age too! :flipoff2:

X2
8E3EA6D9-88F6-48B2-95CA-995B7FEBB915.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom