Console Ideas (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

IMG_20210219_111652909_HDR.jpg

I added cupholders from BH3D and a fresh coat of SEM color coat. Added USB to the rear. Still has potential.

Tuffy. Makes a great arm rest, tons of storage, lockable.

I'll throw my experience in the ring here. I was in the same boat as you a little bit ago. I started off with the cup holder insert from BH3D. Great product, if you're trying to keep it stock, this is easily the best option.

From there, I bought a Smittybilt console. I went with the Smittybilt, because of the price and the fact that with my FJ62 I wanted to cut it up and install the rear heater control cutout from the original console on my FJ62. This worked prefect for that. However, the Smittybilt console is pretty cheaply built, so you do get what you pay for. The edges are sharp so I added rubber edge trim in some areas and cut a piece of floor mat from homedepot to line the bottom. The cup holders kinda suck too. They're adjustable, but never adjust perfectly to fit whatever cup you have. Also the box is rather wide at 11" and interferes with the parking brake. So you always rub your knuckles. The Smittybilt only has a cable to keep the top from flipping all the way back, which in my case was unnecessary because the box was bent or the welding was bad that it interfered and keep it from full travel anyways. But, the lid wouldn't stay up on it's own on a hill and would almost always slam on your arm while trying to grab something. Nice install pics from @89BIGBLUE of the SmittyBilt found here Aftermarket Center Console for an FJ62? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/aftermarket-center-console-for-an-fj62.1038689/post-11456752

Locally, I have a friend that buys and flips 60's series trucks a lot and I've seen the tuffy consoles installed on some of his rigs. They're nice. Build quality is great. Some neat features and what not. Probably wouldn't go wrong with one of these. However, watch out what width you buy, because you'll have the same issue with as the Smittybilt with interference with the parking brake. The radio din is cool and I like that idea. What steered me away from the tuffy was because I saw some installs of them on a FJ62 and it think there a bit longer and interfere with the automatic shifter. I think @Spook50 has a thread about his install and I can't find it now.

What I ended up going with was the Cruiser Crap console. Land Cruiser Security console, steel and lockable for your FJ40, FJ60 - http://store.cruisercrap.com/Land-Cruiser-Steel-console-p/console.htm
I really like the able to add in switches and in a clean manner. Plus the size were just about right. I had seen them installed in a couple walk through videos of work that Land Cruiser Restorations LLC had on youtube and thought they looked really good and had some cool features. I like the cell phone tray on the top, which prefectly fits my iPone 11 Pro max. Installing it was fun, ended up using some aluminum square stock with rivnuts to secure the box and the factory mounting holes to secure the square stock. Fitment is great. Only modification I did was sliding the front cup holder over to clear the shifter assembly. Plus, no extra key for the lock. Not something you have to worry about forgetting or that it's on you key chain or something.

Anyways, here are some pics of the Cruiser Crap console installed.

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

I'll throw my experience in the ring here. I was in the same boat as you a little bit ago. I started off with the cup holder insert from BH3D. Great product, if you're trying to keep it stock, this is easily the best option.

From there, I bought a Smittybilt console. I went with the Smittybilt, because of the price and the fact that with my FJ62 I wanted to cut it up and install the rear heater control cutout from the original console on my FJ62. This worked prefect for that. However, the Smittybilt console is pretty cheaply built, so you do get what you pay for. The edges are sharp so I added rubber edge trim in some areas and cut a piece of floor mat from homedepot to line the bottom. The cup holders kinda suck too. They're adjustable, but never adjust perfectly to fit whatever cup you have. Also the box is rather wide at 11" and interferes with the parking brake. So you always rub your knuckles. The Smittybilt only has a cable to keep the top from flipping all the way back, which in my case was unnecessary because the box was bent or the welding was bad that it interfered and keep it from full travel anyways. But, the lid wouldn't stay up on it's own on a hill and would almost always slam on your arm while trying to grab something. Nice install pics from @89BIGBLUE of the SmittyBilt found here Aftermarket Center Console for an FJ62? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/aftermarket-center-console-for-an-fj62.1038689/post-11456752

Locally, I have a friend that buys and flips 60's series trucks a lot and I've seen the tuffy consoles installed on some of his rigs. They're nice. Build quality is great. Some neat features and what not. Probably wouldn't go wrong with one of these. However, watch out what width you buy, because you'll have the same issue with as the Smittybilt with interference with the parking brake. The radio din is cool and I like that idea. What steered me away from the tuffy was because I saw some installs of them on a FJ62 and it think there a bit longer and interfere with the automatic shifter. I think @Spook50 has a thread about his install and I can't find it now.

What I ended up going with was the Cruiser Crap console. Land Cruiser Security console, steel and lockable for your FJ40, FJ60 - http://store.cruisercrap.com/Land-Cruiser-Steel-console-p/console.htm
I really like the able to add in switches and in a clean manner. Plus the size were just about right. I had seen them installed in a couple walk through videos of work that Land Cruiser Restorations LLC had on youtube and thought they looked really good and had some cool features. I like the cell phone tray on the top, which prefectly fits my iPone 11 Pro max. Installing it was fun, ended up using some aluminum square stock with rivnuts to secure the box and the factory mounting holes to secure the square stock. Fitment is great. Only modification I did was sliding the front cup holder over to clear the shifter assembly. Plus, no extra key for the lock. Not something you have to worry about forgetting or that it's on you key chain or something.

View attachment 2592046
View attachment 2592049
View attachment 2592050
How is the height of the arm rest pad?

View attachment 2592046
View attachment 2592049
View attachment 2592050
I still have the same Tuffy, but it will be getting heavily modified for the sake of customized functionality and a more OEM fit and appearance. The mounting points in my 62 will be modified as well, though I'm not expecting any problems with those. It'll be a long process with a lot of trial and error, but I'm hoping this summer to start piecing it together. Downside is I need to either get or get access to a Tig machine so I can make nice clean small welds where I need to patch a couple holes that were improperly placed, and add skirting that I'm hoping will look good too.

I just installed a modified .20mm ammo box in my 84. I made it lockable and it has tons of room for storage. It is also the perfect height to rest both driver and passenger arms on. It has been done on this forum before. Pretty sweet mod. I have a Tuffy dual cup holder on order to attach to it. I'm happy with it overall.

20210221_174929.jpg

20210221_174901.jpg

20210221_174854.jpg

I went with a smittybilt in my 60.
This thing is cavernous. It needs some organizing. Perhaps I'll outfit some shelving for it one day.
It has a lip up front where the cell phone fits just fine.
Plus, it was less than $100
1614783232687.png

I refinished my stock center console with the SEM products. Iy came out well and kept the stock look, but I would love a functional arm rest. Has anyone tried the 80 series extended console lid? Here's the link from Cruiser Parts.
It's pricey, but if it's more functional as an armrest I might go in that direction. I just haven't heard anyone talk about it.

Man thanks for this. Never seen this before myself. Nice looking setup for a more stock look.

View attachment 2592046
View attachment 2592049
View attachment 2592050

Might be thinking of my thread. I love the Cruisercrap console as well.

Post in thread 'FitzJ60 1983 FJ60 Build'
Builds - FitzJ60 1983 FJ60 Build - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fitzj60-1983-fj60-build.984217/post-11036459

Might be thinking of my thread. I love the Cruisercrap console as well.

Post in thread 'FitzJ60 1983 FJ60 Build'
Builds - FitzJ60 1983 FJ60 Build - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fitzj60-1983-fj60-build.984217/post-11036459
Maybe, I think I’ve seen every cruiser crap console post in the 60 series forum lol. I like it a lot. I’m toying with the idea of ordering a tuffy cup holder and installing “sideways” or front to back or however you want to call it. Right now I have the cruiser crap one shifted over which is fine, besides when you move the passenger seat all the way forward it catches on the corner. Never noticed until I was removing the seat and moved it forward to get to the rear bolts. It not bothersome enough for me to spend money on fixing it now but will have to be addressed when I upgrade the seats at some point

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom