Aftermarket Center Console for an FJ62? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I been looking online for a center console for my Fj62. I currently do not have a center console and no rear heater, the previous owner bypassed it. I see that Texas Cool Cruiser has one for a FJ60 but was told the hole patterns are different. I was also looking at the universal Tuffy Center console. Any one put an after market into a FJ62? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

2X on the Smittybilt. I have it in my Fj60 and love it

Yeah Smittybuilt is the way to go if you dont feel like spending $$$$$ on a center console. However, be warned that there are some "cheap" things about it, like panels are only tack welded in places, not full welds all the way around, cup holders absolute SUCK and should be burned for the atrocity they are, retention system for the lid is ok but I finally had to breakdown and find a nylock nut to replace the inner one because it kept falling off. Just little things like that.

Nothing ground shattering but was definitely worthwhile investment and holds a CRAPTON of stuff.

Yeah Smittybuilt is the way to go if you dont feel like spending $$$$$ on a center console. However, be warned that there are some "cheap" things about it, like panels are only tack welded in places, not full welds all the way around, cup holders absolute SUCK and should be burned for the atrocity they are, retention system for the lid is ok but I finally had to breakdown and find a nylock nut to replace the inner one because it kept falling off. Just little things like that.

Nothing ground shattering but was definitely worthwhile investment and holds a CRAPTON of stuff.

Thanks for the insight! I want something durable. Read great reviews on Tuffy but over twice the cost! Maybe this is the saying “you get what you pay for”!

Do you have a welder? If so you could grind down the powder or whatever the console is coated in and throw some more tack welds on there. Just an observation of mine when I was replacing my seats and had to remove the console to make thing easier on myself. Happened to grab it by putting my hand inside the main cavity and hold it sideways to lay it down and felt a small pop. When I looked at it on my workbench I realized that there were only tack welds at the end so the middle had just bent a little under my hand. Didn't deform or anything as it is probably 14g steel if not thicker, so it is sturdy enough.

Local 4X4 is near me and shows the SmittyBilt in stock. I will go check it out. Will the 9” wide work for a FJ62? I have an auto transmission

images

Not sure if you guys have an equivalent in the states but this is a Waeco wcf11 which is a proper fridge freezer. They are around $400au and I've been fitting them to every landcruiser build I've done.

Fits 11 cans (can't remember how many litres) and has the 2 drinks holders at the front.

If you are interested I can upload some pics of it installed (I did have pics in my threads but got screwed by photobucket).

Cheers

images

Not sure if you guys have an equivalent in the states but this is a Waeco wcf11 which is a proper fridge freezer. They are around $400au and I've been fitting them to every landcruiser build I've done.

Fits 11 cans (can't remember how many litres) and has the 2 drinks holders at the front.

If you are interested I can upload some pics of it installed (I did have pics in my threads but got screwed by photobucket).

Cheers

Thats a pretty good idea. Yes I would love to see install pics. I did not think of a cooler.

Here’s some pics of installing the Smittybuilt in my 62. I found it at 4wheelparts, I wanted to look at it in person before buying. For $100 bucks and a few hours time to make it nice, I feel it’s worth it.
Is not super bullitproof, and the drink holders were awful. The springs were retained by a paper clip from the factory! That’s was fixed with a Tuffy $25 drink holder that fit in the front of the SB console without severe modifications. It does hold a lot of stuff. I’ll try to shoot another picture tomorrow.
I did find all the info on the install here on MUD. (Thanks again mudders!).

9A72F379-6AA6-4658-8D54-4838129CDB4A.jpeg

AD30B56E-0C5F-4561-B74F-0BBBD4B52268.jpeg

CBF99E7B-709F-4B7D-A60C-8F903C0FEEE4.jpeg

8097D3E4-7CAA-442B-8964-3F84C65A7D2A.jpeg

5EFA7606-0384-4976-B8EB-F30DFF8CC65F.jpeg

I chose the Smittybilt because it was cheap and I was going to be hacking on it to keep the rear heater temp control and the fan hi/low switch. Since it was an experiment, I didn't trust myself to cut on a Tuffy, etc. But I've had the Smittybilt for years now and I have no complaints... once you replace the cupholders with Tuffy's or similar. Also, some small rubber u-channel along the top of the can keeps the rattles down.

The definitive Smittybilt console 60 series thread here...

Yup, main thing to realize with the Smitty is that you have to do some modification to be able to mount. I took the long mount bolts that I had from the original console, painted the tops with some white paint and the positioned the SB on top of the bolts. This gave me general markings as to where I would need to cut. Took a couple tries but eventually found a position I figured I would like and drilled the holes. It is a little far to the passenger side but it is good enough.

To fix the cupholder issue, I took some 3" black pvc I had laying around and cut some lengths to figure out how high I wanted it to come up (think it ended up being 2") and then glued them to the original insert. Works great, bit redneck but I dont particularly care.

Here’s some pics of installing the Smittybuilt in my 62. I found it at 4wheelparts, I wanted to look at it in person before buying. For $100 bucks and a few hours time to make it nice, I feel it’s worth it.
Is not super bullitproof, and the drink holders were awful. The springs were retained by a paper clip from the factory! That’s was fixed with a Tuffy $25 drink holder that fit in the front of the SB console without severe modifications. It does hold a lot of stuff. I’ll try to shoot another picture tomorrow.
I did find all the info on the install here on MUD. (Thanks again mudders!).

View attachment 1622024

View attachment 1622027

View attachment 1622029

View attachment 1622030

View attachment 1622031

Big Blue, did you make/bend up that support bracket? I need one!!

Saw a console on Torfab website for the 60. Not sure if the heater has to come out to fit it though?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom