considering trimming rear bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
just finished a trip to joshua tree. i did berdoo canyon, old dale road, and cadiz dunes. seems like after every trip i manage to pop and scratch my rear bumper. according to the dealership i broke/bent one of the support brackets.

1) will the bumper continue to deform without popping the upper brackets?
2) will rocks contact the sheet metal or any sensitive bits if i trim the rear bumper?
3) curious if anyone else on this forum has trimmed their rear bumper. the front bumper trim worked well for me so i'm tempted to do the rear.

passenger side ... mudflap popped out... i was able to reattach it after this photo
IMG_4754.JPG

drivers side .... so busted that one of the bottom bolts came out
IMG_4752.JPG

Watching thread. I asked about this subject too with no response.

just finished a trip to joshua tree. i did berdoo canyon, old dale road, and cadiz dunes. seems like after every trip i manage to pop and scratch my rear bumper. according to the dealership i broke/bent one of the support brackets.

1) will the bumper continue to deform without popping the upper brackets?
2) will rocks contact the sheet metal or any sensitive bits if i trim the rear bumper?
3) curious if anyone else on this forum has trimmed their rear bumper. the front bumper trim worked well for me so i'm tempted to do the rear.

passenger side ... mudflap popped out... i was able to reattach it after this photo
View attachment 3449901
drivers side .... so busted that one of the bottom bolts came out
View attachment 3449900
So the REAL question is: Do you plan on doing these types of outings often?
If you say yes, meaning you're going off tarmac at least every couple of months, then the answer you're looking for is YES trim BOTH your front and rear bumpers.
There are a lot of members on this forum that have trimmed their front and rear bumpers and with slightly oversized tires, it looks really good!
Do a search for them and see how they did it and how it looked after the fact. Also query them on how they like it.

i was planning on cutting it a little higher up. @Washingtontaco did you cut it there to hide the rear cross member? did you have any issues with the plastic bumper snagging on rocks?
I left it just like that, no point in cutting it above the hitch as it didn't afford any better departure angle. I scraped a few times and was heading to NM and didn't want to risk damage out of state.

Cut as much as you want/need though.

no point in cutting it above the hitch as it didn't afford any better departure angle
Which i think we briefly discussed at the rally. I was thinking after our conversation of a cut along this line in the bumper or cut it right up to that first outside parking sensor.

0C637F77-D0F3-4C02-A948-B260057E0A1C.jpeg

Not sure I need the mudflaps at that point. Maybe trim the height of them up a bit?

Which i think we briefly discussed at the rally. I was thinking after our conversation of a cut along this line in the bumper or cut it right up to that first outside parking sensor.

View attachment 3452125

Not sure I need the mudflaps at that point. Maybe trim the height of them up a bit?
I like my mud flaps, actually torn one off at Panhandle but found it. Yeah I like that line, it wouldn't really help to cut it at the sensor.

I like my mud flaps, actually torn one off at Panhandle but found it. Yeah I like that line, it wouldn't really help to cut it at the sensor.
You don't think the flap sticks down too much?

Not with my suspension system and 34" tires. ;)
Well when you put it that way. LOL. Maybe it does with my 32" tires and factory suspension height then? :cool:

Yup, bet mud flaps are real handy up there where you get a lot of rain and mud.
Not so much down here! 😝
On the rare occasions we do get rain and we're out wheeling in it, it's not a big deal to just wash off everything.
Also, I don't do what most all beginner off roaders do and blast through at full speed through every watery mud puddles they come along for "splash effect".
I either go around when possible or tread through them slowly. Years ago in my early off roading days I'd just fly through any and all mud puddles I found to get the biggest splash possible. Then I realized I didn't really enjoy trying to get all the caked on mud off from the under carriage.

Then I realized I didn't really enjoy trying to get all the caked on mud off from the under carriage.
I'm fighting that now. Had to carry some speed through a small bog because of my baldish tires. So yea, I'm paying for it.

Reactions: r2m
I'm fighting that now. Had to carry some speed through a small bog because of my baldish tires. So yea, I'm paying for it.
Time for 35's???

Time for 35's???
No. I like my 32's. Would rather spend my money on the interior (drawers, platform, fridge) and sliders at some point.

When I trimmed my front bumper I didn't do the rear because I had a factory trailer hitch so there didn't seem to be much to be gained trimming the rear.

Later, when I decided to do off-road bumpers, I got an aluminum bumper in the front, for weight and corrosion resistance. But in the rear, I got a steel bumper because I. knew I would be dragging it off of ledges and such, as you have found out. I got a Coastal, which basically bolts flat onto the frame and crossmember and so offers as much departure angle as possible.

the factory trailer hitch is useful when going perpendicular over a ledge. it does not help much when i put one of the rear tires over a large rock or have to go diagonal across a large ditch.

i'd rather not buy bumpers. they are heavy, cost a lot, and not rated for towing. in any case i think i've make up my mind. i will be trimming the rear bumper when i have some time. hopefully that will be sufficient for the off roading i do. if it's not then at least i'll know that i really need a rear bumper.

trimmed my bumper yesterday. it's not to bad. i used an oscillating saw this time which gave a lot more control compared to an angle grinder. there are some wires that i need to find a better place for.
side-shot-with-cut.JPG

rear-cut-bumper.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom