Considering swapping 18s for 16s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.stokesignals.agency
I have 275/75/18 BFG ATs on factory 18" alloys right now. They've been great. I'm guessing I'm a year away from needing to replace them - that should put'em at 60,000 or so. I like the factory alloys (it's an '06). But, I love the look of the Tundra steel wheels on the 100.

I can do the the steelie thing in 16" or (Tundra) 18"... I'm curious about the pros and cons of each... Any of you guys spent time with 33s on 18s, then swapped to 16s? I'd love to hear your thoughts - how the increased sidewall affected the ride, handling, etc. Obviously, the more sidewall the less "crisp" the steering. But, is it really noticeable on the 100?

I have gone from 18s to 16s and didn't notice a huge change in handling but it was a bit different.

No steel 16 option...

Except the splits (I have a set of five and ran than on mine), and non-USA options. 100s even with the IFS came with steel wheels on other markets. if your willing to pay the $$ I'm sure Beno or CDan can find a you some...

I think #jonharis did 18 to 16 I don't know if it was full time or just for certain situations or not.

I run 16's for my winter tires and 18's for the rest. Tire diameters are almost identical. With an OME 1.5 lift I notice very little - if any - difference between the two in terms of handling. Might be a little more comfortable ride on the 16's.

Marginal. 16's do allow lower pressure and more sidewall flex when aired down to off road low psi's. Thats their chief benefit IMO.

Sorry... shoulda been more clear. I know the off-road benefits are definitely in favor of the smaller wheel - taller sidewall. But having done this is - albeit to a much greater degree with my Jeep - I'm wondering how significant the drop increase of 2" of sidewall is on the road.

In my CJ, you can turn the steering wheel and watch the wheel turn "in" the tire - while the tread remains in the same place. But at 9 psi on the trail... mmmm

I have 275/75/18 BFG ATs on factory 18" alloys right now. They've been great. I'm guessing I'm a year away from needing to replace them - that should put'em at 60,000 or so. I like the factory alloys (it's an '06). But, I love the look of the Tundra steel wheels on the 100.

I can do the the steelie thing in 16" or (Tundra) 18"... I'm curious about the pros and cons of each... Any of you guys spent time with 33s on 18s, then swapped to 16s? I'd love to hear your thoughts - how the increased sidewall affected the ride, handling, etc. Obviously, the more sidewall the less "crisp" the steering. But, is it really noticeable on the 100?

No steel 16 option...

When I posted that there are 16" non USA options, I missed the Tundra wheels. AFAIK, the Tundra didn't come with 16" wheels and the proper bolt pattern (the Tundra went to the same bolt pattern in 2007 and by then 16" was gone for it and the Land Cruiser in the US).

In my CJ, you can turn the steering wheel and watch the wheel turn "in" the tire - while the tread remains in the same place. But at 9 psi on the trail... mmmm

What size tire? Rim width? and pressure do you run on your CJ? I had 33x12.50s on 8in rims on my FJ60 I didn't see that. My current set up on my 100 doesn't do that either....

35/12.50/15s on 8" wagons at 22 psi - street, 9-11 psi trail
DSC_0101-1.jpg

I ran steel 18s for 6 months and didn't like the ride at all. I found it to be much harsher on bad roads (which my commute if full of), the steering was heavier, it was slower, and the braking was worse. The tell-tale sign is that my girlfriend drove my 100 after I made the switch (which she didn't notice by looking at it), and she said "is something wrong with your truck? it feels even slower than it normally does" :D I put the 16s back on and liked my truck a lot more again. I'd like to try some light 17s and a 34" tire as I think that would be the best compromise.

IMHO 18's only serve two functional purposes (assuming you get your 100 dirty) on a 100: 285 width on a 35" and/or a Big Brake Kit. Neither of these are deal breakers IMO...but niceties in their own right.

I've driven jonharis truck with 16's (wide 35's) and mine with 18's (not as wide almost 35's) and I didn't notice that much difference. Especially on the street. Lookswise, the 315' on 16s look pretty sweet, but they are wide! Here's a comparison. Same tire brand and tread. One is a 315/75/16 the other is a 295/70/18. I would like to try a 285/75/18 (skinnier and taller) but the $400+ per tire is hard to swallow. I almost made the 18 to 16 swap but.... it's not gonna change my life and I won't go anywhere that I can't go today. 16" tires are cheaper, that's for sure.
ENO_zps9c6b931a.jpg

Last edited:
I've driven jonharis truck with 16's (wide 35's) and mine with 18's (not as wide almost 35's) and I didn't notice that much difference. Especially on the street. Lookswise, the 315' on 16s look pretty sweet, but they are wide! Here's a comparison. Same tire brand and tread. One is a 315/75/16 the other is a 285/70/18. I would like to try a 285/75/18 (skinnier and taller) but the $400+ per tire is hard to swallow. I almost made the 18 to 16 swap but.... it's not gonna change my life and I won't go anywhere that I can't go today. 16" tires are cheaper, that's for sure.
ENO_zps9c6b931a.jpg

Incredible picture - where was this taken? Beautiful trucks.

Incredible picture - where was this taken? Beautiful trucks.

Black Bear Pass, Telluride CO. It's the waterfall near the end. It's truly stunning.

Manhattan, you want to try some 35's on 16's for a week?

Ha! I'd have to borrow your suspension for a week too! Thanks though. If I do go with 16s, I'll still run the 33(ish) ATs.

For most offroad travel, beyond high speed smooth gravel, 33's on 18's are going to suffer especially if you want/need to air down. For 33's I'd recommend 16" wheels for anything more than a gravel road. Now mind you I've watched loaded down LR3/4's with their super low profile tires go up some knarly terrain (still a wonder how they didn't pinch flat or ding a wheel) but it wouldn't be my first choice.

Sort of a Necropost...but.
16s will fit every 100/470, correct?
I'm looking at an '06 LX470 which has 18s but will definitely want to switch it over to 16s if I get it.
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom