Considering swapping 18s for 16s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes, any of the 5 bolt pattern 100 series wheels will work on all models.

...via IH8MUD app

35/12.50/15s on 8" wagons at 22 psi - street, 9-11 psi trail
DSC_0101-1.jpg

Was this Jeep beauty the restomod completed by ACC?

...via IH8MUD app

Yep. Michael led the efforts on that build. Pretty much a frame-up build.

Yep. Michael led the efforts on that build. Pretty much a frame-up build.
Sweet, remember drooling over it in their garage when they were installing my Ironman bumper.

...via IH8MUD app

I made the switch on the '04 that I had. Can't tell a difference on road. As others have stated, the true difference is in the airing down off road.

Sweet, remember drooling over it in their garage when they were installing my Ironman bumper.

...via IH8MUD app
Thanks GaFJC. I gotta see a pic of that silver '07 mod'ed FJC. I had an '07 mod'ed FJC!

It looks like the only way I'm going to get the look I'm after - the steel wheels with the circles/holes - will be the 18" Tundra wheels... and that's looking like it'll have to be an Ebay deal. There are simply NONE of these for sale via Craigslist anywhere near Atlanta. I've been checking for a *#@^ing year and haven't seen a set. Just hate to pay for shipping - it doubles the cost

That sucks. There are several sets of steel 18's available locally here for around $100. Strange that you haven't been able to find any. Have you tried Toyota? Go to the back shop and ask someone for take-offs. You may be able to get a good deal.

There are plenty of the "Styled" or 5-point star steel wheels. It's the "Standard" wheel that are apparently only used as spares. They're rarely, if ever, sold as take-offs

this one...
51BD3S5SyVL._SS400_.jpg

URL]

URL]

URL]

Sort of a Necropost...but.
16s will fit every 100/470, correct?
I'm looking at an '06 LX470 which has 18s but will definitely want to switch it over to 16s if I get it.
Thanks!

Yes, in the earlier years, only 16's were offered for both. I think it was 2003 when 17's and 18's were introduced.

LC5-14.jpeg
LC5-14-1.jpg

I've been wanting to switch from the factory 16's and I had a set of 18" 265 tires from my 07 Silverado that were factory size so I found some 07 Tundra 18's on craigslist that were powdercoated black already for $80. I can tell it seems a little stiffer, but like them with the white. Now I just need to remove the rb's. Although they sure have saved the rockers from the Iowa winters and gravel roads. What do you think? I have a set of 285's Mickey Thompsons for Silverado, but I don't really want to lift the cruiser.

I'm not into the black alloy look - but that's just me. If anyone is interested in trading their OEM 18" rims for my OEM 16" let me know. I've got a spare set of tires for 18" that I'd like to use. I'm near Charlotte, NC.

For what it's worth, I read somewhere that the smaller diameter alloys with tires are lighter than 18" with equivalent tires. Steelies look cool but are heavy.

...For what it's worth, I read somewhere that the smaller diameter alloys with tires are lighter than 18" with equivalent tires. Steelies look cool but are heavy.
True, and true. I put the 18's on my wife's ride, and went back to 16's on the '04. Weights are from tire spec sheets and the thread on here about OEM wheel weights. I was surprised at the heft of 285/65/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers on the 18's.

Coming from an 80 series with 315's on 16 inch rims, I was appalled when I tried to air down my 275/70R18's. Can't really do it. Dropping the pressure helped the ride but you just can't let enough air out to get a bigger contact patch.
I'd love to try 17's as there are more options in the ~34" tire range. If anyone ever wants to trade their factory 17's for factory 18's, I'm your guy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom