Considering moving to a GX, have some questions. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi folks,

New to the forum, and currently a '20 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium owner and have been considering moving over to a GX platform for a little more creature comforts and options. While I do love the 4R itself after a year of ownership, I have just found myself looking for a bit more creature comforts like automatic/dual zone HVAC and a more robust rear climate control now that we have our newborn. It seems a GX might be a great compromise, since I do spend 90% of my time on road and any "off road" is generally forestry roads for camping etc. Just looking for some owner's thoughts, because it seems the GX may have a few more common and expensive issue to fix over the reliability of the 4R.

1. How common is the coolant valley leak on these vehicles? It is a guaranteed item that eventually comes forth, or is it just certain vehicles?

2. How common is the front timing cover oil leak? Is it also a guaranteed item to arise or only certain vehicles? If it does occur, is it something that steadily gets worse and eventually requires repair, or only in certain circumstances?

3. Are there any better years to own? I really do prefer the looks of the '14-'19 models over the '20+ and it doesn't seem like there are many changes in these outside of the exterior facelift? Anything I am overlooking a '20+ might have over the '18-'19 that might make a considerable difference in ownership?

Hi folks,

New to the forum, and currently a '20 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium owner and have been considering moving over to a GX platform for a little more creature comforts and options. While I do love the 4R itself after a year of ownership, I have just found myself looking for a bit more creature comforts like automatic/dual zone HVAC and a more robust rear climate control now that we have our newborn. It seems a GX might be a great compromise, since I do spend 90% of my time on road and any "off road" is generally forestry roads for camping etc. Just looking for some owner's thoughts, because it seems the GX may have a few more common and expensive issue to fix over the reliability of the 4R.

1. How common is the coolant valley leak on these vehicles? It is a guaranteed item that eventually comes forth, or is it just certain vehicles?

2. How common is the front timing cover oil leak? Is it also a guaranteed item to arise or only certain vehicles? If it does occur, is it something that steadily gets worse and eventually requires repair, or only in certain circumstances?

3. Are there any better years to own? I really do prefer the looks of the '14-'19 models over the '20+ and it doesn't seem like there are many changes in these outside of the exterior facelift? Anything I am overlooking a '20+ might have over the '18-'19 that might make a considerable difference in ownership?
I would guess to say that 90% of people that have come from a 4R to a GX have been overwhelmingly pleased. The little extra power, comfort and quiet is outstanding, not to mention when you bring it to a Lexus dealer, you usually get a free loaner car! The off road ability of these rigs is outstanding with a few modifications to the bumpers to increase approach and departure angels, and getting rid of the side steps and replacing with sliders.
To try and answer your questions, and to prefix, there is not absolute yes or no, numbers or percentages to your questions, so what you'll be getting from myself and all the other members on this forum will strictly be personal opinions.
  1. I don't believe it's very common. Yes there's been a lot of print about it on this forum but that has been generated by only a few since it's quite an undertaking and has caused a lot of chatter. I have about 111,000 miles on my clock and haven't had an issue yet. (QUICK! Find me some wood to knock on!!!)
  2. Again, not very common and probably less common than the coolant valley leak.
  3. As far as reliability between the pre spindle grill (2010 - 2013) and post grill (> 2014), there really isn't any. What you'll be most interested in will be what features/trim levels you want. The newest models will have 360° cameras, Apple/Android play and probably some other minor stuff, where the earlier ones didn't. If you go here to post #13: GX 460 Manuals - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/gx-460-manuals.1129713/ There you will find all the brochures up to 2021 that should highlight all the features and trim levels.
Hope this helps and good luck hunting!! :cheers:

Last edited:
Being that you have a very desirable T4R with a high resale value, I'd personally pony up for a 2023 GX if you are able to afford it. You'll get the much better interior layout, Android Auto/CarPlay touch screen etc. And, if you do end up with the valley coolant leak, it will be 100K+ from now. You'd be buying a brand-new, but old-school "forever" vehicle you can still be driving reliably at 15-20 years in the future.

If new is not in the cards, I'd personally look for a low-mileage 10-13. They have the best grille (IMO) compared to the later years, and you'd have more money for mods if you want to go that route. Around here the pop up in the $15-25K realm fairly often; presuming you can get $30-40K used out of your TRD OR T4R, you'd have a lot of money left over for a few mods to have a very unique and capable vehicle. Or you could just use the money for something else.

I just went through this exercise with a friend of mine - who was asking about overlanding vehicles. He drove both a 5th gen T4R and a few GX460s and immediately picked the GX460. Better interior, better engine, better transmissions than, better towing capacity the T4R, with the same chassis, axles, size, etc. All of the off-road limitations of a GX can be easily addressed with off-the-shelf mods.

I would guess to say that 90% of people that have come from a 4R to a GX have been overwhelmingly pleased. The little extra power, comfort and quiet is outstanding, not to mention when you bring it to a Lexus dealer, you usually get a free loaner car! The off road ability of these rigs is outstanding with a few modifications to the bumpers to increase approach and departure angels, and getting rid of the side steps and replacing with sliders.
To try and answer your questions, and to prefix, there is not absolute yes or no, numbers or percentages to your questions, so what you'll be getting from myself and all the other members on this forum will strictly be personal opinions.
  1. I don't believe it's very common. Yes there's been a lot of print about it on this forum but that has been generated by only a few since it's quite an undertaking and has caused a lot of chatter. I have about 111,000 miles on my clock and haven't had an issue yet. (QUICK! Find me some wood to knock on!!!)
  2. Again, not very common and probably less common than the coolant valley leak.
  3. As far as reliability between the pre spindle grill (2010 - 2013) and post grill (> 2014), there really isn't any. What you'll be most interested in will be what features/trim levels you want. The newest models will have 360° cameras, Apple/Android play and probably some other minor stuff, where the earlier ones didn't. If you go here to post #13: GX 460 Manuals - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/gx-460-manuals.1129713/ There you will find all the brochures up to 2021 that should highlight all the features and trim levels.
Hope this helps and good luck hunting!! :cheers:
Thank you for the insight! They do seem to be quite capable and being im more worried about on road use it may be better suited.

Reactions: r2m
Being that you have a very desirable T4R with a high resale value, I'd personally pony up for a 2023 GX if you are able to afford it. You'll get the much better interior layout, Android Auto/CarPlay touch screen etc. And, if you do end up with the valley coolant leak, it will be 100K+ from now. You'd be buying a brand-new, but old-school "forever" vehicle you can still be driving reliably at 15-20 years in the future.

If new is not in the cards, I'd personally look for a low-mileage 10-13. They have the best grille (IMO) compared to the later years, and you'd have more money for mods if you want to go that route. Around here the pop up in the $15-25K realm fairly often; presuming you can get $30-40K used out of your TRD OR T4R, you'd have a lot of money left over for a few mods to have a very unique and capable vehicle. Or you could just use the money for something else.

I just went through this exercise with a friend of mine - who was asking about overlanding vehicles. He drove both a 5th gen T4R and a few GX460s and immediately picked the GX460. Better interior, better engine, better transmissions than, better towing capacity the T4R, with the same chassis, axles, size, etc. All of the off-road limitations of a GX can be easily addressed with off-the-shelf mods.
I would like the idea of a newer model, however, the whole what I owe versus what I could sell for comes into play. While I would definitely walk away with a good but of cash in my pocket plus what I’ve already done to it would help in my selling of the vehicle, interest rates and new car prices right now limit my moves. I just really am not a fan of the new grills either. I’m a big fan of the in slimline or in grill bumpers and would worry the newer model would prohibit my options for a bumper/winch without hacking it all up.

Also, I just noticed you mentioned apple car play, do the older modes not include this? Meaning pre ‘20?

Having a newborn I think you will appeciate the 3-zone climate control and the ability to direct warm/cool air to their position. The vents in my 4Runner were not very effective at doing this due to the bulky nature of modern child seats.

I would like the idea of a newer model, however, the whole what I owe versus what I could sell for comes into play. While I would definitely walk away with a good but of cash in my pocket plus what I’ve already done to it would help in my selling of the vehicle, interest rates and new car prices right now limit my moves. I just really am not a fan of the new grills either. I’m a big fan of the in slimline or in grill bumpers and would worry the newer model would prohibit my options for a bumper/winch without hacking it all up.
Regarding the 2014+ bumpers, there are a couple of minimalist style bumpers that a winch can be added to.
Here's one: GX Front Bumper | Blitz | 460 (14-23) - Victory 4x4 - https://www.victory4x4.com/product/VGXFB-46-14.html

Also, I just noticed you mentioned apple car play, do the older modes not include this? Meaning pre ‘20?
They do not. Beat-Sonic has a good (if not cheap) work around for that.

Having a newborn I think you will appeciate the 3-zone climate control and the ability to direct warm/cool air to their position. The vents in my 4Runner were not very effective at doing this due to the bulky nature of modern child seats.
Exactly, I don’t worry much in the winter as my son runs hot like I do, but in the summer, I worry he’s getting too hot. The roof vents and ability to select rear zone climate control to help cool him in the summer is very intriguing.

They do not. Beat-Sonic has a good (if not cheap) work around for that.
Well damn, once grown quite accustomed to that in my 4R and my wife’s car.

What level of connectivity do the pre ‘20 offer? Can you still stream music and connect your phone?

Hi folks,

1. 2010-2014 or so could have the issue but usually it isn't a catastrophic issue on the vast majority of cases. It'll just leak a bit and usually burn off with heat in the valley with a little bit running down the back of the engine.

2. Not sure, have nearly 180k on my 2010 GX460 and I have zero leaks of any kind. Only had the coolant valley plate leak that was fixed a while ago.

3. Other than cosmetics on the exterior 2010-2023 is pretty much unchanged. Only the last year model had a major update with new infotainment system. The 2010-2013 had much better approach and departure angles with the factory bumpers. It's half the reason why I chose a 2010.

Good luck! Take your time hunting for the right one.

I did just have my timing cover leak addressed. That was at 140k miles and the leak, if I didn't have platinum care warranty, was not bad enough to warrant a fix at the moment. I never dropped oil level throughout 10k changes, it was mostly cosmetic and the warranty covered it otherwise it would have been left alone. The coolant valley one is a Toyota V8 issue, not a GX issue, so any Toyota V8 will have potential to have this issue. That said I have 140k and no valley leak. I did have a water pump leak, but most Toyota's are 100k or so on the water pump and needs to be replaced. Realistically this is one of the most reliable vehicles I've owned at this mileage and I've owned 250k+ mileage vehicles. All I do is change the oil, rotate the tires, and grease up the driveshafts. Everything else I might add to that, at this mileage, is preventative. If you can get good $$ for your 4Runner I would move to the 2023, but I would not hold out as the used car market is holding on by a thread right now.

If you are buying used a PPI is always well worth the small fee. If you don’t PPI at least get a good flashlight and willing to peek at the underside.

Look for any pink stains top or bottom. This would likely be coolant. Look toward back of engine bell housing area.

Is coolant recovery tank low or empty?

Look through fender areas in wheel well at front timing cover area as well as around the AC compressor? Do you see any oil residue?

Pull codes with an OBD Reader like OBD Link. This will pull codes from all ECUs. Inexpensive general purpose OBD reader not sufficient for full scan and non-engine codes won’t generate any visible warning light.

Check to see if someone recently cleared codes. This info is available.

img_3517_9d3ff97b7e82c829d3aaf80e9df708e4bcda611f.png

Last edited:

What level of connectivity do the pre ‘20 offer? Can you still stream music and connect your phone?
It has a pretty old brick of an infotainment system. It has Bluetooth, but it’s a clunky old gal when it comes to tech. Pre ‘20 4Runners are similar in offerings. Not sure about older models but I’m speaking for my ‘18.

I didn't really try streaming or even using the bluetooth until I got the Beat-Sonic wireless CarPlay system because it didn't work very well. Before that I would just play music from flash drives and such (still do sometimes).

The infotainment system was antiquated in 2010 and it took them 10 years to upgrade it. Trying to use the nav system is really clunky, much quicker to set up a route on your phone.

I use the bluetooth streaming on my 2014 all the time. It works everytime. Definitely outdated but works for me.

My only issue with the s***ty "safety features" that won't let me switch devices unless I'm stopped.

In my 2010, Bluetooth streaming or USB stick with music library work fine for me. I am not a fan of modern infotainment gear at all and could care less if the factory system ever quit.

A knobby Alpine receiver and amp under the front seats like I had in my 1966 Catalina and all would be good.

It's cool when stuff works but I didn't buy my GX because of a sound system or nav.

Don't forget the cam tower leak. Probably not common to the GX, but to the engine, I hear the Tundras get them a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom