Considering a V8 swap...got questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I picked up a parts trucks pretty cheap a couple months ago. I've been harvesting parts for my other FJ60 either to immediately replace or have on hand for the future. The rest of the parts truck looks to be salvageable; bust out and replace the c-channels, some body work/spot rust removal, and a paint job. Since I'm basically gutting the engine bay, I'm thinking of trying to bring it back to life as a "fun" project.

It's not a small undertaking, but I've got a few things going in my favor; about a 22 month timeline, access to a body shop and tools, a paint booth, multiple PNPs in the immediate area, and a Father-in-law well versed in SBCs from 40 years of hotrod building.

I'm not looking to make this a heavy duty trail rig or mudder, probably nothing much bigger than 33s on it. The intent is to load the family up with a small trailer and hit the road for a summer of traveling after I retire and before they start school again. I just want simple, reliable, drivable, and easily sourced repair parts. I'm exempt from emissions where I am and where I'm going. I'm not interested in an LS swap. I'd prefer manual trans and a carb. I also want to keep the leaf spring suspension for that retro-ride feel.

I believe a SBC V8 fits the bill, but I've got questions about the engine/drivetrain combinations.

1) The Vortec heads were a technological step up, but really required for my goals?

2) I'd like a 5 speed, so I'm thinking an NV4500...is an adapter required to get the engone&trans length to fit in a LC or will the normal bell housing work?

3) Here's where I start losing it....transfer case...run an NV4500 to toyota x-fer case adapter or continue with a purpose built x-fer case designed to be mated to the NV4500?

3a) If running an adapter, can the stock rear axle handle a V8 over time? Again, not getting crazy rock crawling, mudding, or pushing a lot of rubber.

3b) If running NV4500 and chevy x-fer case, I'd need a centerline diff on the rear (correct?)....what's the best choices and/or is there an axle out there that doesn't require shortening?

And go...

I’m a fan of the L31 350’s from 96-2000 era. It’s got Vortec heads, roller lifters and with a conversion intake, will run great with a carb or Aftermarket tbi.

I’d probably mate it with a toyota trans, but not all of the adapter options are that great.

There isn’t a single good reason to use a carburetor on an engine swap on purpose in 2020

I’m a fan of the L31 350’s from 96-2000 era. It’s got Vortec heads, roller lifters and with a conversion intake, will run great with a carb or Aftermarket tbi.

I’d probably mate it with a toyota trans, but not all of the adapter options are that great.

Ok, thanks...that's about the engine range I was looking into for the same reasons. I'd like a

There isn’t a single good reason to use a carburetor on an engine swap on purpose in 2020

Well...it cuts about $1000 off the build cost I can put towards something else, it's my current preference, and I can always convert later; but thanks for the input.

Oh boy, here we go again ;). Some of us folk just like carburetors over computers. I'm just ribbing ya cruisermatt, we've discussed it before. There's a great argument against, but an equal argument for.

I'll offer my thoughts here, since I've spent considerable time thinking about it, and researching it.

I don't want a computer in my FJ60 drivetrain. So I'm going with 5.7 SBC, HEI, and QJet. One wire to the HEI, one fuel line from a mechanical pump to the carb. That's it.

I was heading down the 5.7 Vortec Vortex myself until I shook that off. I bought a running take out L31, from a '98 Tahoe that I planned to re-fresh and use for my build, but I have since changed my mind due to a number of reasons. I do plan on using the front stack, serpentine belt assembly off that engine, on the mid '70's 350 that is sitting on my engine stand right now.

I wont go too deep into it, but the marginal increase in power of the L31, doesn't outweigh the added cost of overhaul (odd roller valvetrain/timing components, odd intake manifold for carb, odd exhaust manifold, odd front damper, odd flywheel, etc) The ONLY thing I like about it is the one piece rear main seal. The stock L31 cyl heads were notorious for premature failure, and replacements cost more than SBC heads.

As far as drivetrain, I started looking down the NV4500 path also,but quickly turned around due to all the problems that will involve. And, I've driven a few, they mostly shift like crap, and the H42 shifts like butter. You will need an adapter of some sort, Marks adapter, or a AA Ranger Overdrive. My choice is the Ranger. It keeps the stock 4spd, and split case in the factory location, offers a 27% overdrive which is (IMHO) as good or better than the NV or H55F ratios. The stock Toyota trans/Xfer/rear diff are PLENTY strong for a sensible 5.7 build. My plan also involves re-gearing the splitcase with 4:1 gears.

I'll finish this by saying that I love the 2F, and inline six cylinders in general. If mine weren't in need of an overhaul (500k +miles) I wouldn't be opening my big fat yapper here. But for what I want to do, traveling, light towing, parts availability, fuel economy, and overall driveability, I will not be overhauling the 2F, I'll be re-powering to a old school 350, and a ranger overdrive.

@Beerfix ....thanks for all that. I'm of the same mind regarding simplicity and preference for no computers. What you described is what I originally began envisioning, but I think I got sucked into the sexiness and "more power is always better" of the vortex. I hadn't looked at the Ranger OD until you mentioned it...interesting. I like the idea of keeping the trans and x-fer case I already have and I'm not trying to make this thing do 90mph. I really just wanted the truck to comfortably get down the road while towing a light trailer. Thanks for adding your $.02. I'd be interesting in knowing how your project shapes up. Good Luck

@FJ Noob I'm still a few thousand dollars away from the re-power, my 2F is doing the job for now as long as I feed it oil. Suspension is next on the list, since I'll need the added clearance for the pan and exhaust. Then I'll order the ranger box, and clutch components. As soon as I collect all the parts, ill go for it. In the mean time, I'll do what I need to do to keep it on the road as is for family weekend adventures. Even with the high mileage and and oil consumption, I trust the 2F 100%. Let us know how things go for you too!

@FJ Noob I'm still a few

Ahhh...thanks for reminding me. How much lift is needed to clear the oil pan etc? The truck has a 2.5” OME on it that looks like it’s in really good condition. I’d like to keep it if possible to help shave down the price tag.

Ahhh...thanks for reminding me. How much lift is needed to clear the oil pan etc? The truck has a 2.5” OME on it that looks like it’s in really good condition. I’d like to keep it if possible to help shave down the price tag.
I'm assuming that you should be fine. I'm sure someone can chime in on this that has done it. I know that my stock sacked out springs aren't going to cut it.

EDIT: Plus, new suspenders are higher on my list than the re-power. I like my suspension less than I like my oil burning, fuel sucking, underpowered engine ;)

Save Me !
:)

035_2F_a-big.jpg

Last edited:
@ToyotaMatt haha...I've spent quite a few hours staring longingly at your pages full of shiny new parts and considering replacing everything. Unfortunately this one is being "saved" by breathing new life into another truck as an organ donor.

Last edited:
I'll offer my thoughts here, since I've spent considerable time thinking about it, and researching it.

I don't want a computer in my FJ60 drivetrain. So I'm going with 5.7 SBC, HEI, and QJet. One wire to the HEI, one fuel line from a mechanical pump to the carb. That's it.

OK boomer

@goose4433 has a Chevy 350tbi, H42 and Ranger overdrive. It’s freakin awesome. Super simple and very reliable. It’s pretty cool having an 8speed. Especially off road. The only downside is road noise from the OD shifter but I’m sure this can be dealt with with a better cowl and sound deadening. Sure the LS has “mo powa baby” but that 350 is night and day dif from the 2f and parts are avail at every single bumf%#k parts store.

Sure the LS has “mo powa baby” but that 350 is night and day dif from the 2f and parts are avail at every single bumf%#k parts store.

That's a big part of it too. I'm planning to be on the road for nearly 3 months. Being able to find parts anywhere and fix if needed without anything more complicated than a multi-meter is a bonus for me.

As for the road noise... let's be honest, foam ear plugs are cheap and they also block out the "are we there yet" from the back seat.

Last edited:
I’ve haven’t had a single breakdown that wasn’t my own fault (and were all fixed with a multimeter) since I did my LS swap. In fact I haven’t even opened the hood in four months and drive it daily. And it doesn’t leak. Yes, it’s better

@cruisermatt Cool...sounds like you did a great job and got a nice rig out of it. Not trying to convince you otherwise. I've just decided to take another path and was looking for constructive input from those that may have already traveled that path.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom