Confirmed fit in '14 LX: Baja Designs Squadron Sport + Tacoma mounting kit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am SO excited about this.

I had these Baja Designs Squadron Sport lights kicking around from my Tacoma, along with the Tacoma fit kit. Decided to try my luck and see how close of a match it would be for the LX, and the verdict is: 99% perfect mount.

Connection is plug and play using the Tacoma kit. Mounting brackets installed exactly as they were on the Tacoma. A single slotted hole in the Baja Designs mounting bracket needs to be elongated by about 5mm - the other hole and two protruding tabs line up perfectly.

The mount from the front of the vehicle is as good as it was on the Tacoma; there's a small gap between the light and the surround, but it's minimal, and I will likely hide it by putting some edge trim on the light.

This should be a huge, huge help in dense fog (which tends to be rather frequent on some local highways).

Note: I have the amber "wide cornering" lenses on my Squadron Sports, and these WILL blind other traffic. I will be replacing them with "driving/combo" lenses shortly.

MXoddeq.jpg

4qaZrEM.jpg

More photos to come after I elongate the holes on the mounting brackets and do the passenger side, too.

Bring back the OG Lexus signature yellow fogs. Looking good!

All done.

Completed product first! I wrapped 1/8" edge trim around the light housings which almost completely eliminated the gaps between the lights and the OEM chrome surround. It's not "OEM perfect," but unless you go around looking for issues, you won't see them. Better fit than on my Tacoma!

On some start ups (of the lights) I did notice some flickering, but it consistently went away after ~5 seconds of running the lights, so it's really not a problem. On most start ups there was no flickering at all.

Edit: in hindsight, I think the flickering only occurred on full start of the vehicle. Perhaps the HIDs were drawing all the power at that point, and once they were fully operational, the fog lights got what they needed and stopped flickering? Just a theory.

X0gGBUb.jpg

gXT1KAc.jpg

vuSZvqH.jpg

98OuUig.jpg

75pLquy.jpg

fvUljQy.jpg

DtJmp3O.jpg

6pPZo6J.jpg

Last edited:
BD Squadron Sport (w/ Tacoma fit kit) on the left, OEM fog on the right:

meG7Cr2.jpg

7uNyGQF.jpg

This top hole is the one that needed to be elongated about 5mm to the right, and ideally 2-3mm up. Same thing (but mirrored) on the bracket for the other side.

a7iaYjS.jpg

Elongated:

wTkOkDR.jpg

Applied edge trim:

bhMyWDm.jpg

To get to the OEM fog lights you start by removing these three Torx 30 bolts:

UVDoVwf.jpg

You should also remove the single 10mm/phillips bolt in the bottom corner, on the underside, where the bumper cover meets the inner liner.

Once all those bolts are off, use a trim pry tool to gently pry the bumper over off of the liner/tabs:

5buVXrb.jpg

You can then gently pull back on the bumper cover enough to take it off the tabs it's set on, and give yourself enough room to reach inside.

Note the somewhat-cylindrical cover ("boot") - this is not present on the driver's side (or at least it wasn't on my LX), but on the passenger side this makes it impossible to get to the fog light's hardware, so this boot must be removed. There is a single, accessible tab in the bottom right corner. You can reach in and disconnect the boot from that tab. The boot also has two more tabs on the top part of it, but those are not accessible, so you have to wiggle and pull on the boot with progressively more force until it comes off.

L44JfId.jpg

Removed boot. Note the slotted hole on the bottom right corner - that's the accessible tab.

luDsRax.jpg

Other side of the boot. Note the two tabs which stick out towards the camera - these are the inaccessible ones.

cBPuDr0.jpg

With the boot removed, disconnect the single wiring connector on the fog light, and using a phillips screw driver, loosen the two bolts holding the fog light in place, but don't remove them completely, as they are likely to fall and will be a pain to get. Instead, reach in with your hand and loosen/remove them carefully.

VlbMYzz.jpg

Insert the new BD light and connect the wiring. Use the open fog light hole to reach in with your other hand to make connecting the wiring easier.

Make sure the connections are tight, then turn on your vehicle and fog lights to make sure the light works. The connector can go in either way, and one of the two ways will not work, so make sure the fog light powers on.

After that, wiggle the BD light in place and secure it using those two OEM screws.

Re-insert the boot cover. It will clip into the two top spots, but will no longer clip into the bottom one, as the BD bracket gets in the way. Not a big deal.

Cover everything back up, re-install the bolts you removed, and enjoy your new fog lights.

For bonus points, you can find your missing positive terminal cover deep below the engine bay:

NLWODn5.jpg

This looks great. Too bad the don't have a mount that works for the 2016+ or at least that is my understanding. What I was told by Slee is that with the 2016 (and maybe the 2019 Tundra) Toyota changed the way they mount the OEM fogs. So the BD mounting bracket no longer works. You would have to fabricate something. And, incidently, this carries over to the 2016+ specific ARB Summit bumper (and maybe the TJM) in that those bumpers were designed with the new fog light mounting style. So the Bd Squadrons won't work. At least not until they come out with a new mounting approach that accommodates Toyota's changes.

I appreciate the detailed set up. Is this with the even symmetrical black surround or the beveled one? Some of the pics look either way.

Thanks for this. Last week I drove from New Orleans to the end of the Mississippi in my 14 LC in a blinding rainstorm, and I couldn't see anything. This is the thread I needed!

I have a pair of amber wide cornering Squadron Sports with the Tacoma bracket available for sale. $120 shipped in the CONUS. PM if interested and I'll send some photos.
Did they not fit the LC application?

I'm doing a fit test today. I'll update
16 LX570, fits better than this example. Baja Designs, 44-7110/7115/7125. No drilling, no adjustment, fits perfectly, except for the leading edge of the aluminum face is off by 3mm. You can't really tell and it could help with cooling.

I'll add pictures later.

Anyone try this on an LC yet?

I ended up getting the Squadron Pro dual fog/clear at 4,900 lumens, over the Squadron sport at 3,100 lumens. The Pro has far more light throw forward and laterally than the factory brights. In fact when I was testing the lights, just one pro had far more light and fill than the brights. The con of course is that is far too much for the street. I think the Squadron sport in fog would be a great upgrade over stock fogs, which really blow. But save the Pro for wheeling. These are definitely spendy, but the light throw is exactly where I want it for seeing ground conditions without a lot of glare and dust reflection.

ed. I forgot to mention that I tried to take several pictures and none of them came out, the Pro is too bright to show the factory fog pattern.

Putting this on my "to-do" list. Great write up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom