Clutch piston leak? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
just noticed this.

Anybody can point me in right direction of how bad of a job it is ?

common issue?

B13DCC6A-BCFD-44FE-AACD-B61687D6594C.jpeg

fairly easy, use flare nut wrenches to break the fittings loose, also change the slave cylinder, then bleed
and brake fluid will remove paint

clutch master and clutch slave,
cruiser outfitters will set you up
@cruiseroutfit

fairly easy, use flare nut wrenches to break the fittings loose, also change the slave cylinder, then bleed
and brake fluid will remove paint

This man knows.
Make sure you get correct year clutch m/c. Also if clutch m/c goes slave is right behind so do them both and save time and hassle.

I also went ahead and replaced the soft line coming out of the slave cylinder. Getting it loose was the biggest pain in the whole ordeal.

My hardest part was breaking free the hard pipe at either end. I don't remember the details but I couldn't get mine off, mangled something and had to replace the pipe. Back then (15 years ago?) that hard pipe was still available from Toyota, but it was a pain to replace, especially to access the support clamps along the firewall behind the engine...

so, do use a flare not wrench and try some penetrating oil the day before you plan to do the work. A trick someone suggested in another thread is to use vice grips to keep the flare nut wrench end from spreading open and rounding off the nut.

There is a flat metal piece at the clamp where the hard line meets the soft line that slides out to release the soft line at the top - honestly that was the worst part of the whole ordeal. If you are replacing the soft line you can just cut the soft line in half and it will be a lot easier. Here is the soft line if you need to get one
hose.jpeg

@3_puppies
Separate question. Picking your brain.

I posted in a thread about chrome roof mouldings didn’t get an answer

mine are off - but I have all of them. there is a “plastic insert” that holds them in - any idea where to get them ?

@3_puppies

mine are off - but I have all of them. there is a “plastic insert” that holds them in - any idea where to get them ?

I don't know on those

@3_puppies

These are not listed as a separate part from Toyota. Do you have a picture what it looks like?

These are not listed as a separate part from Toyota. Do you have a picture what it looks like?
I have the chrome parts. What I gathered is, they just "snap/push" on.

I will try them after work today.

I don't generally recommend stuff from JTO, but when I did mine, I used their one-piece SS braided line that replaces the hard line and it's great.

And usually once the Clutch MC goes, the slave cyl is not far behind.

Also, clean that Brake fluid off the body immediately or it'll peel paint to the metal and it will quickly rust.

They also sell a complete kit:

Be aware, kit is diff for pre vs post 4/85 FJ60

1614374173388.png

Last edited:
Thanks so much! Yeah all parts ordered. Should be here Wednesday, and then I will swap them out

Yeah given mine is a 87FJ60 had to be careful on which will work

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom