clutch not engaging (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok guys, I am almost there. After engine install I got oil pressure, timed and RPM's set. I went to take it for a test drive and it will not go into gear.

This is what I do know.

I followed instructions on forum for install of clutch.

The "nipple" part of clutch plate is facing engine. I bled the clutch and I have great pressure on foot pedal.

I do not hear any noises from clutch when I disengage foot pedal.

What am I missing? the only thing I can see that is an issuue is maybe the clutch fork is loose. I noticed that I can push and pull form in and our pretty easy. Is this supposed to have this much play in it. if not how do you set the tension? Granted I am just shooting in dark now but thought I would throw that out there as a possibility.

Ok guys, I am almost there. After engine install I got oil pressure, timed and RPM's set. I went to take it for a test drive and it will not go into gear.

This is what I do know.

I followed instructions on forum for install of clutch.

The "nipple" part of clutch plate is facing engine. I bled the clutch and I have great pressure on foot pedal.

I do not hear any noises from clutch when I disengage foot pedal.

What am I missing? the only thing I can see that is an issuue is maybe the clutch fork is loose. I noticed that I can push and pull form in and our pretty easy. Is this supposed to have this much play in it. if not how do you set the tension? Granted I am just shooting in dark now but thought I would throw that out there as a possibility.

I have also confirmed that the clutch fork oves when clutch pedal is pressed so, the slave cylinder is not frozen. Hope that helps.

Try this

image.jpeg

Thanks. Let me ask a stupid question. Can you attach a pressure plate to the flywheel wrong. I tried to go back to my head and see if everything was done correctly. i saw a diagrahm that said put the pressure plate rods into the flywheel holes. I am not sure if I did this or not. I will say that a feel like I did because the bolts i used were short and if I did not have the rods in the holes then the bolts would not have gone in. Is this correct? How can I check? would this also cause this to not engage? Just trying to see where I went wrong. If it is possible to install pressure plate incorrectly then I woner if I can just umbolt the pressure plate and spin it to seat then go ahead and retighten without taking tranny out.

Would the clutch fork being loose cause clutch not to engage.

The clutch fork seats into a special bolt that's threaded into the bell housing. The fork is retained by the spring clips. It should be fairly secure.

2017-07-29 19.42.11.jpg

thanks for the pic. I was wondering if the play in the fork would cause it not to engage. There is about a 1/4" play in fork and I can wiggle it back and forth. I will tighten it some to get rid of play but doubt that is the issue. I can fully press in clutch pedal and take my foot off of it in gear and it never engages. It seems like the clutch disk is not even engaging it to start with. That is why i am confused.

i did some more research and some things mention a stuck clutch disk. How can I verify this? I can change through all gears with truck on and alos when it is off with no engagement.

ok here is what i have done so far:

1. confirmed pressure plate is installed correctly
2. made adjustments to clutch fork and pedal to specs given
3. pressing clutch does activate fork and moves it.
4. clutch for is seated correctly in pivot pin
5. I pulled off bottom of bellhousing and spun flywheel by hand and everything turns (pressure plate, throwout bearing etc.). HOWEVER, the tranny spindle does not turn at all when I turn flywheel y hand even if it is in neutral or in gear).

here is what i am experiencing:

1, tranny can shift through all gears while truck is turned off with no issues
2. tranny can shift through all gears while truck is on
3. while shifting when truck is on there are no noises, grinds etc. truck still will not move
4. tranny ran fine before engine blew
5. tranny did shift during install but things appear to be ok (well to me thew do at least)

any ideas or what to look for. once i get this working i want to hit some trails.

Last edited:
Transfer case in neutral?

HOWEVER, the tranny spindle does not turn at all when I turn flywheel y hand even if it is in neutral or in gear).

Are you sure you are seeing the transmission input shaft and not the front retainer where the throw out bearing rides on?

So with engine running you can shift to any gear and there are no grinding noises......hummmmm

When pressing clutch pedal the clutch fork moves but does it actually move the fingers on the pressure plate?

When pedal is released does the throw out bearing move back far enough so it's not touching the fingers on pressure plate?

Are the fingers of pressure plate moving?

This is the same 40 you had so much trouble getting installed correct?

so I will answer each question one by one.

1. I can it is the long shaft that the throwour bearing is riding on that is not spinning.
2. no grinding in any gear when engine is on.
3. fork does move and presses on fingers of pressure plate
4. The throw out bearing turns as I spin the flywheel. SO, the throwout bearing should not touch pressure plate when not engaged? I thought I had to remove the slack as there was movement with the fork. Nevertheless, I will go back and adjust so that it does not tocuh pressure plate until you press clutch pedal.
5. Fingers on pressure plate do move
6. Yep same 40 I have had issues with.

Engine runs like a top but now it is one thing after another :)

AZOKIE mentioned that transfer case can be in neutral. How can I tell and what would I need to do to reset it?

Repeat the last step with someone pushing on the pedal. ...basically, the pressure plate should clamp the disc tightly to the flywheel
with pedal at rest and the disc should be free with the pedal depressed. If this is all good then the clutch isn't the problem.
When you say it won't go in gear do you mean it grinds or just won't go there. Is the shifter installed wrong?

If the disc is in backwards, the cone on the disc will ride on the crankshaft and the friction material will never engage. it will be a permanent neutral. Never assume the sticker that says "this side to flywheel" is correct. Lay the disc both ways to the flywheel and spin by hand.
Generally one direction will be more apparent than the other

I went to your other post about engine install problems. You had posted a picture of the throw out bearing and disc. On my phone I cannot see much but maybe someone on a computer can tell if the disc is installed correctly. Could you post that picture here?

If the disc is in backwards, the cone on the disc will ride on the crankshaft and the friction material will never engage. it will be a permanent neutral. Never assume the sticker that says "this side to flywheel" is correct. Lay the disc both ways to the flywheel and spin by hand.
Generally one direction will be more apparent than the other
Here is link to pic. I know longer have pic on phone,

Need help to install tranny & engine

How does it look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom