clutch help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Alright, i need some help. I have a 69 F engine and i am going to mate a 4spd transmission/3spd case to it. What clutch kit do i go with, 3spd or 4spd clutch kit. this set up is going in a 1974 fj-40.

Thanks!

either or will work....but you can't mix parts.
either its the F flywheel and everything else to the throwout bearing or the 2F flywheel to the tb.
the later pressure plate with the diaphragm springs is better than the earlier three finger set up.

Last edited:
can the 2f flywheel and all parts fit in an F engine bell housing?

Yes. Some folks prefer the later (aka 2f) pressure plate because of its diaphragm style vs the 3 finger diaphragm style of the earlier (f) pressure plate (requires adjusting the ‘fingers’).

Like mentioned above, you must use like parts and can’t mix/match. Pressure plate, clutch disc, flywheel, throw out bearing, clutch fork. I think the slave cylinder is also clutch fork specific but you’d want to verify it isn’t specific to the bell housing.

Do you have a 4 speed bellhousing?

The 4 speed tranny won't fit in the earlier 3 speed housing.

For my '76 and '71 FJ40s I'm using 3-speed flywheels and clutch components, mainly for the low-rpm advantages of the more massive 3-speed flywheel. If you won't be doing a lot of low-speed crawling the later 4-speed flywheel and clutch would probably be better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom