Click-Click-No Boom (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone!

I have an 80 series that's been acting up lately. For a few weeks it has been giving me a hard time in terms of hesitating to start or just clicking. I took the battery to get tested and was told that: 1. The battery is incorrect and not powerful enough (thanks O'Reilly); 2. that the battery is one cell down. I have a brand new battery that is correct and still having the same click. If anyone has any ideas please please please help?

I have had sporatic times in the past where she would hesitate but then start right up. I know it's a long shot but I would be extremely grateful to anyone and everyone who can throw input. I'll throw in a homemade mint chocolate chip the next time you're in the surrounding CLT area!

So far it's a brand new battery, same click.

LGT video of click.

I really appreciate any help!!

If battery tests out, first thing to do is make sure all grounds are clean and tight. Next would most likely be to replace starter contacts.

starter. Start by cleaning up the contacts, if problem persists, get a new starter or rebuild. If you get stuck, you can wack on the starter with a broomstick or axe handle while someone else cranks it to get it to fire up.

That is almost always the starter/solenoid contacts. They are pretty easy to replace, or get a reman starter, have had the best result with Denso brand reman starters, Denso 280-0169. Depending on what starter you have, there are plenty of contact kits, like; Victory Lap ND-34SOL.

Last edited:
agree with above, starter. I used to keep a broom stick in the back of my '77 caprice for this exact scenario. drove it like that all through high school. :)

If it is the contacts, there is another failure mode, the solenoid sticking on, the starter continuing to run with the motor. If this happens, the motor will over speed the starter, sometimes causing it to come apart and short, direct to battery shorts can be exciting! Best to repair the problem asap.

Agreed. I have seem major engine wiring harness damage from a starter with stuck contacts.

Isn't there a Ford relay that folks add in order to alleviate the famous CLICK CLICK issue? Or is that to address some other starter issue?

Never heard that one before.

Isn't there a Ford relay that folks add in order to alleviate the famous CLICK CLICK issue? Or is that to address some other starter issue?

People do all kinda things to avoid proper repairs.

Thanks you guys. I did try hitting the starter with a hammer, but couldn't get much "omph" behind it. I will try the broomstick idea and look into an entire new starter. Someone else mentioned an incorrect ground; I wouldn't be surprised by the incorrect ground since the previous owners created quite a clust3rf@$k. I forgot to mention that the old was crking like crazy when only the positive was touched as well (though there was no arcing when I installed the new batter).

I don’t recommend this for the OP but on my Subaru - I need it for icy mountain roads! - this problem kept recurring and a local shop asked if I had tried adding the relay. I think they even had a “kit” that I purchased cheap. It has been starting and working great ever since. Prior to that I’d have to roll it forward a few feet while its in neutral and then pop it into first, the intent wasn’t to start it old school way, it just shifted something enough to always then allow me to start it with the key. The no start would happen very few years and I’d get the unit rebuilt and it’d work for another couple years, the rebuilder started to say things looked fine but he’d rebuild it again. The relay fixed all that non sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom