Cleaning Tips for Trans/Transfer Case (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The Evapo-Rust appeared to work well on ebrake drum and parts.
C019930F-F553-4781-BD78-EFAE89C57E26.jpeg

Evaporust is nice but I feel like it takes off more than just the rust. It’ll remove the gold cad (or is it zinc?) coating too. Now I’m looking into DIY plating kits and trying to decide if just paint is “good enough”.

I took all the bolts off my transfer case and sent them to get cleaned and plated with yellow zinc. Also painted up a bunch of parts as I’m finally getting ready to put it back together.
E2FA048B-01AB-4B93-934C-C0DA90C604EF.jpeg

87632726-15C1-46C3-93D7-25EE7755930B.jpeg

A292FC80-50AA-4242-B7C1-90EF2CAC9EAD.jpeg

D03FF968-43BD-407B-BE78-AEE3588BBBBC.jpeg

Who did your plating? That’s a nice color!

I went with a small shop in New Bedford, MA. The kind of place that has no name and a garage door in an old brick textile building. A cash only operation but they do amazing work. I'll be sending all my parts and used OEM bolts to them from now on.

I went with a small shop in New Bedford, MA. The kind of place that has no name and a garage door in an old brick textile building. A cash only operation but they do amazing work. I'll be sending all my parts and used OEM bolts to them from now on.
Just the kind of place that got run out of Kommie-fornia 40 years ago. :(

Just the kind of place that got run out of Kommie-fornia 40 years ago. :(
New England is good like that, still lots of remnants of it's industrial past. Plenty of little shops that don't advertise because they've never needed to. Tough part is finding them and getting them to pick up the phone..

@Ackcruisers

Is it Star Plating on Coffin Ave?

@73FJ40 It was a referral/favor situation. I was given a guys name “Jack” and told to meet at a garage door in an old textile brick building. Handed him a two gallon bucket of bolts and confirmed yellow zinc plating and that was it. They typically do not work with individuals. If you want anything plated let me know and we can coordinate a batch.

@73FJ40 It was a referral/favor situation. I was given a guys name “Jack” and told to meet at a garage door in an old textile brick building. Handed him a two gallon bucket of bolts and confirmed yellow zinc plating and that was it. They typically do not work with individuals. If you want anything plated let me know and we can coordinate a batch.
I like it!

My 12/79 Transfer Case has the breather plug 90930-A3001 that appears to be tapered. It will not go all the way into the case top as shown. The one I removed was identical. The schematic shows there is a small washer. Anyone encounter this on their rebuild?

4FC0A0DD-1441-4AEE-A9B0-08867FA4E6B2.jpeg

A652CB06-DFDD-427B-A05F-B2B0A0BDA030.jpeg

This is very time consuming. Wish I had a vapor blaster. Finding a dental pick, citrus Gunk degreaser, steel wool, brass wheels on Dremel, Dawn, warm water, scotch pads to be restoring the case.

The rust removal on the ebrake drum and associated parts are taking a lot of time. If anyone can recommend a trusted rust converter application please let me know.

View attachment 2431124
View attachment 2431125
evaporust has worked great on my hardware. Degreased first then scrubbed with green pad th remove crud the soak in evaporust a couple of days then green pad again the off to get yellow zinc coated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom