Check Tire Pressure System message comes and goes… (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
About a month ago, at ~165k miles, the “Check Tire Pressure System” light came on. I assumed that one of the TPMS sensors died. System won’t reset. Figured I’d just replace the tires before the end of the year and have new TPMS sensors installed.

Fast forward to yesterday, halfway through an 1100-mile round trip. My wife and I ran into a grocery store to get some stuff for lunch. We left our kids locked in the LX because they didn’t want to come in (it was 58ºF out, the LX is not airtight, and they’re all in grade school). I told them not to touch anything, especially door handles or locks, because they might set the alarm off. Well, we were in the store for 10 minutes, but apparently that’s long enough for the alarm to go off and then shut itself off. We came back out, and one of our kids immediately tells on the other, “he set off the alarm. It went off like forever and then just stopped itself.”

I made lots of parenting noises at my kids and then fired up the LX to leave, and the Check Tire Pressure System light is off. All 5 tire pressures are reading on the dash. It was on for a month, despite attempts to reset it, and then shuts itself off and starts reading pressures properly after the vehicle alarm goes off. Anyone got any ideas what is going on here?

How’s the battery / cables and is there aiir in the spare?

When the TPMS sensor batteries starts to go out, they intermittently send a signal on a good day (my guess is it’s temperature related, as batteries hate the cold). Eventually they will give up the ghost, and it will be a constant no signal which will cause the TPMS to be on at all times.

When was the last time the TPMS sensors were replaced? They typically only last 10 years or so.

When the TPMS sensor batteries starts to go out, they intermittently send a signal on a good day (my guess is it’s temperature related, as batteries hate the cold). Eventually they will give up the ghost, and it will be a constant no signal which will cause the TPMS to be on at all times.

When was the last time the TPMS sensors were replaced? They typically only last 10 years or so.
This is what I was thinking. But they would not connect or reset for about a month straight. I’m assuming they were replaced when the Defenders were put on around 4 years ago, but I may be wrong about that. I did not own the vehicle then. Maybe they’ll give up again here in the next couple days.

This is what I was thinking. But they would not connect or reset for about a month straight. I’m assuming they were replaced when the Defenders were put on around 4 years ago, but I may be wrong about that. I did not own the vehicle then. Maybe they’ll give up again here in the next couple days.

I wonder if they put on non-OEM sensors. Or they just left the old ones on when they replaced the tires, and your 10 year life expectancy has passed.

The button to reset the TPMS is not to make light go away. It is to relearn the 5 sensor's position. It expects all 5 sensors (5 different IDs programmed into the ECU) to be there.
Not transmitting TPMS signal is an active fault and most cars do not allow let you to clear it.

If it is getting signal again, then the fault will lear. Chances as it gets colder the battery inside the sensors will take a further hit and you will have it happen again.

I just had a similar problem. I took a two hour road trip this weekend. On the way there I was cruising at about 80mph and the tire icon started blinking. I tried to check the tire pressures and it said to check the tire pressure system. I took the next exit and as I slowed down the light went off. All pressures showed normal. No problems over the weekend until the drive home. Yet again, 80 mph, tire icon comes on and display says check system. I kept driving and about 15 minutes later the light went off and I could see the tire pressures were fine.

2013 LX with about 165k. Weather was in the 50's. Would one bad sensor throw off the whole system?

I just had a similar problem. I took a two hour road trip this weekend. On the way there I was cruising at about 80mph and the tire icon started blinking. I tried to check the tire pressures and it said to check the tire pressure system. I took the next exit and as I slowed down the light went off. All pressures showed normal. No problems over the weekend until the drive home. Yet again, 80 mph, tire icon comes on and display says check system. I kept driving and about 15 minutes later the light went off and I could see the tire pressures were fine.

2013 LX with about 165k. Weather was in the 50's. Would one bad sensor throw off the whole system?
Is it possible that the tpms module is bad?

I have seen similar on my truck. Light came on about a year ago (naturally just as I started a trip). It went off, then back on, rinse and repeat a dozen or so times. This winter it finally turned into a constant bitch light. I replaced one sensor a couple of years ago. And one is new with a fifth tire in the rotation. So the other three are probably dead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom