Cheap Center Diff Lock Switch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well i decided to go the cheap route on my CDL switch. I ended up ordering a 1994 Toyota Tercel Hazard switch on ebay for 6 bucks and modifying it to work as the CDL switch. It is the exact same switch as the hazard switch in the LX/LC's. The only thing that had to be modified was a little plastic rib being cut out on the inside of the switch. Very simple with a small set of side cutters. Here are a few pics. Also went ahead and did the Pin 7 Mod. SO thats two mods out of the way for $6 and about 30 minutes.

First pic is before cutting out the plastic.

Second pic is after cutting plastic.

Third pic is installed. I already blacked out the hazard emblem just need to make a new one for the switch.
Switch1.jpg
Switch2.jpg
install1.jpg

There's a thread for custom buttons on the switch too.

$6.00 GOOD LORD. I guess I'm not buying a big mac meal today, and here come center DIFF LOCK! I'm gonna look for one too. Great find!

WIll only the 94 tercel Hazard switch only work? Or are there other years? Maybe other cars?

Not sure what other years or models use this switch but its the same switch exactly as my 96 LX Hazard switch.

yoopercharged: I looked in the FAQ and could not find the thread you were talking about. I do remember looking at it once before a long time ago just surfing around but I could not find it again. Just wondering what the link might be referenced to for the custom symbols for switches would be.

Mshelby sent me a hazard switch he had picked up from a junkyard... I had to do the same mod to it--cutting the bottom. Installed it and works great as my CDL switch... sent him $3 to mail it to me. cdl switch and 7 pin mod = total cost $3. I like mods like this

Impreza:

Thanks for the link. Thats the one I was looking for. Im gonna have to go with the Mud Symbol for the switch. Another thing, is the stock switch supposed to light up with the headlights on?

Mshelby sent me a hazard switch he had picked up from a junkyard... I had to do the same mod to it--cutting the bottom. Installed it and works great as my CDL switch... sent him $3 to mail it to me. cdl switch and 7 pin mod = total cost $3. I like mods like this

The one I sent you came off a 92 Cruiser but most 90's Toyota hazard switches are similar.

I have one from a mid-90's Camry that looked identical.

Here is what I found was compatible yesterday with the help of the local stealership parts dude:

91-95 Paseo
91-95 Tercel

:)

All right, I took the dash a part, and located the CDL harness. Comparing the hazard switch to the CDL harness, they do not look to mate up. I am running a 96 FZJ, like the OP, what else am I missing or not seeing? From other posts I have found, the CDL harness is taped back on the wire cluster, and covered in foam.

I have a source for the Paseo switch (if he can find where he left them), but I am stumped as to putting these together.

IMO, the best part is it's a Toyota switch and not some made in china...

It looks the same as the outside of the hazzard switch on my 1999 Prerunner.......

Not sure it is the same on the backside....

Nice use of a Toyota switch for the CDL.....:clap:

Thanks for the tip

The CDL harness (terminator) has another terminator on it, with a jump wire. All I had to do was look closely, and remove the end terminator. Hang with me as I butcher the names of these items/parts.

Then I popped on the Paseo (OE) hazard switch, and it was like magic.

No one ever accused me of being intelligent, or mechanically inclined.

Thanks for such an easy solution!

J.

Got my switch modified with the Mud Logo :flipoff2: and it looks awesome and even factory.:cheers:

Very simple. Did you not have to cut the plastic on the inside of the switch?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom