Cheap Center Diff Lock Switch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i used a hazard switch a buddy got from a junk yard cruiser. I dont recall having to mess with any "terminator" I just had to cut the plastic on the back, bottom of the hazard switch to allow it to connect. Will someone please post a pic of the "mud logo" on the switch I don't know what you're talking about and am interested to see it.

Also, what's the "terminator"?!

Very simple. Did you not have to cut the plastic on the inside of the switch?

Nope, I cut the harness end, where there was a thin plastic 'gate' blocking that channel. The only problem would be telling the difference between the wires for the real hazard switch, and the CDL hazard switch. Should be easy enough, as they are not 100% identical. But, I will properly label when I replace my head unit.

I thought about doing that as well but decided to modify the $6 switch instead of the factory wire harness.

Thanks Kaos for the reference. Just bought a 94 Paseo Hazard switch from FLEEBAY for $8.00 shipped.

This is the cheapest part that I bought for my LC.:hillbilly:

With photos

i used a hazard switch a buddy got from a junk yard cruiser. I dont recall having to mess with any "terminator" I just had to cut the plastic on the back, bottom of the hazard switch to allow it to connect. Will someone please post a pic of the "mud logo" on the switch I don't know what you're talking about and am interested to see it.

Also, what's the "terminator"?!

These are some photos of the end piece that came off, with the jumper.

the second image is the end the plugs into the harness. I popped this off, to plug it in to the switch.
DSC01382.jpg
DSC01383.jpg
DSC01384.jpg

yep, simple and great mod. Any 90s or other Toyota with the same switch dimensions will likely work. I pulled some at a u-pull it from 90s toyota pickups for a couple bucks each. I haven't relabeled mine, but the mini-truck hazard switch is mounted vertically, so the hazard symbol is 90* off in the cruiser dash so I can tell it isn't the real hazard switch. :)

I need to do this.

As it sits now:flipoff2::flipoff2:
CDLLabel.jpg

ahah... thats the ih8mud switch!

I used this thread, and

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/274776-switch-relables-printable-single-sheet.html

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/229790-how-relabeling-your-switches.html

I just finished the Cheap Center Diff Lock MOD. It was very easy. The only problem I had was being very anal about the label. I was thinking about using one of those cool labels maybe the flip off, But its not very practical and the stock label looks so much cleaner and OEM, I had to make it look very OEM and it took me an Hour to get it the way I wanted it to look that was the hard part.

To install it was very easy about 15 minutes, mine wasn't wrapped in that foam, it was black tape and it was uggly and sticky took it off and popped in my new switch and bam! brand new CDL for about $15.

The light does not work though, it is not illuminated, maybe a bulb I don't know.

Price breakdown.

- 1994 4 Runner Hazard Switch 9.95 Shipped from EBay (Had to cut off a little plastic so it can fit, easy!)
- sand paper $4 (I had none :( )
- Crazy Glue $1.50 (the little plastic piece that the label stick onto would not stay on after I removed it)

OEM look for about $15

IMAG0063.jpg

Yea im gonna figure out which terminal lights up the hazard switch bulb and then figure out a way to make it work with the lights.

I did this a few weeks ago w a hazard switch. I had the black tape around the cdl harness in my dash. Since, inconsistently the button will and won't work. Some days it works everytime I push it, other days like today I have to push it 4 or 5 times before the cdl will disengage... any ideas?

thanks for the label ideas and links... soon to have an eject button for the in-law passengers ;)

The illumination is supposed to use the same pins for either switch.

CDL Ilum.jpg

Check pins 2 & 3 for power and variable ground, then see about a bulb replacement. This is for a '94, I doubt the others are different, unless there was a wire color change.
CDL Ilum.jpg

Thank you sir that is where I will start.

I did this a few weeks ago w a hazard switch. I had the black tape around the cdl harness in my dash. Since, inconsistently the button will and won't work. Some days it works everytime I push it, other days like today I have to push it 4 or 5 times before the cdl will disengage... any ideas?

thanks for the label ideas and links... soon to have an eject button for the in-law passengers ;)

Sounds like maybe a sticky switch or actuator and not necessarily the button or relay. dunno TBH.

How often do you engage/dis-engage the CDL?

Once a week, maybe twice... when I go out to the trails and want to turn a bunch in 4low.

how many times I hit the button... about a dozen yesterday to get the dang thing to disengage!!

Once a week, maybe twice... when I go out to the trails and want to turn a bunch in 4low.

how many times I hit the button... about a dozen yesterday to get the dang thing to disengage!!

Hmm.... Im at a loss on that one sorry. You could swap your hazzard button and cdl button to test the switch easily.

Have you tried to take the switch out and hook it back up like stock? When it was in factory mode did it ever give you problems? Mine was doing it for a while when I first got it in factory mode but I think it was because it was driven by and old lady and the thing had never been in 4Low or had the Dif locks used. I went into a pasture by my house and drove in circles turning them on and off over and over again and eventually they got to where the transfer case and the diffs would engage and disengage instantly.

How long or deep are these switches? I saw a hazzard switch from a 95 cruiser in the junk yard the other day, but I thought it was too big to be the right switch. Anyone have a picture of the top/side of the switch?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom