Cheap Center Diff Lock Switch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

the hazard switch I use for my cdl switch is same size as my 95 stock hazard switch. A buddy sent me the switch and presume its off an earlier year LC than mine since that's what he drives.

Hey all Cruiserheads! MYTTOY here to add some info to this older thread. I found that a 1995 4Runner emergency flasher button works on my 1994 FJ80 with no trimming or modification. Just thought I would throw that out there in case anyone is wondering around the pull-a-part places and see's one. perfect plug and play operation.

Mike AKA MYTTOY

Just picked up a hazard switch off a 91 toy tercel (as I heard that would work) from a local pick-n-pull yard. My 95 LC has the toyota security where the CDL switch would go (next to the hazard switch) anyone know how to not disable this and still be able to add the mod CDL?
Thanks.

Move the security to the bottom row, and replace it with the CDL. Plenty of wire to move it...
I also moved the rear defrost down next to the rear heater switch, less wire, but do-able...

I went the same route with an old tercel hazard switch. It took about 15 minutes. Super easy mod. Most difficult part was trimming tab so that the harness could plug into the switch.

Found a red hazard switch on Ebay out of a 91 LC. Dk if I'm gonna print a label or leave it as-is, but I really like the red body on the switch.

photomike-albums-1997-lc-picture20825-cdl.jpg

Super easy mod. Thx!
Mike

Trying to breathe a little life into this thread. I just bought my Tercel hazard switch from a pick'n pull and installed it. FYI a '95 Tercel has a completely different hazard switch, unless the one in the yard was mislabeled as a '95 and was, in fact, a newer model. I found two: one from a '94 Tercel and one from an '88. Both work perfect, thanks all for the write ups, especially the DIY relabeling and the YouTube video. Pulled the wire from the 7 pin, taped and wrapped, good to go now.

One question in this thread never got answered. How do you make the bulb work with the headlights? Bulbs are intact on both, meter check for continuity, both good. Anyone else have this problem and figure out how to solve it?

Thanks guys

I guess I'll have to look into all this as I am new to the 7 PIN mod and CDL as well. I know my rig does not have a CDL switch, it didn't have lockers either. It now has ARB lockers though.
So, am I getting this right? the 7 PIN is a wire disconnect and the CDL switch is to turn off the CDL when in 4L?
Yes, I am a dummy but I know good work when I see it.

Pin 7 mod provides manual control of CDL. After pin 7 mod, putting it in 4 L does not activate CDL automatically. You can activate CDL in H or L with the switch

poorly typd on my iPhone using IH8MUD

One question in this thread never got answered. How do you make the bulb work with the headlights? Bulbs are intact on both, meter check for continuity, both good. Anyone else have this problem and figure out how to solve it?

Thanks guys

Are you referring to the switch itself? I don't think hazard switches light up with the dash, but I might be completely wrong about that.

I found an actual CDL switch in a 1997 Rav4 (only the manuals had them, automatics do not) that is back-lit with the dash.

Jojobeed

Not familiar with the tercel switches, so just a guess, but do the illumination pins on your switches line up with the illumination wiring on the pigtail?

Would check this first. Next verify that the bulb lights up while removed from the pigtail. Next verify you have voltage across the illum pins on the pigtail. If you have all three, it should work

poorly typd on my iPhone using IH8MUD

A previous post posted a picture of the electrical diagram and stated the pins indeed line up. Just strange that my bulb passes the continuity test on a meter but does not light up. My stock hazard switch lights up.

Still looking for an answer. Does the repurposed hazard switch just stay dark or can you get the light bulb to work? Very curious. Thanks for help.

I will play around with it some more.

See previous post for details.

A previous post posted a picture of the electrical diagram and stated the pins indeed line up. Just strange that my bulb passes the continuity test on a meter but does not light up. My stock hazard switch lights up.

Still looking for an answer. Does the repurposed hazard switch just stay dark or can you get the light bulb to work? Very curious. Thanks for help.

I will play around with it some more.

See previous post for details.

It is dependent on the switch you pull. I've noticed that some of them light up, some of them don't. The ones that I am pretty positive that do light up are the red ones from 4Runners and old Toyota pick-ups.

But if you get one that is suppose to light up, then it will if you use it as a CDL switch.

scaled.php

Like the guy above, I got one of these fully red hazard switches and it does not light up but I really like how it looks so I am keeping it that way. This particular one came from an early USDM FJ80, I believe they switched to black hazard switches soon after.

I am really impressed with this mod! The simplicity, the original parts (besides the trimming of the switch connector) and the added links to the printable labels for changing the switch display. Thanks for taking the time to post, hopefully with my allowance I can pull this one off.

Just did it! Amazing how simple that was!
15$ CAD at the junkyard off a tercel.

Any info on if it can be switched while driving?

image.jpeg

sorry for digging up an old thread, but does anyone happen to know if the pre-95 cruiser (94 to be exact with the older dash style) have the same wire harness for the CDL? i would assume they do but since the older dash style has a different switch i had to ask before going out and finding a hazard switch. thanks in adviance

Using the CDL switch while driving works just fine, I do it frequently on dirt roads for a few miles to keep the CDL exercised or when coming up on deeper snow.
Zach, since you have a '94 did you use the hazard switch as mentioned in the topic? or do you have the larger "94 dash style CDL switch?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom