For Sale Charleston, SC - 1976 FJ40 - Original Mustard Yellow (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series
Mileage
Color
Yellow
I've owned this 40 for the past 5+ years and have had all work done either locally by a Toyota/Landcruiser mechanic (McIntosh Imports) or by Trollhole's Cruisers. I am not mechanically-inclined but happy to answer any questions to the best of my abilities. $20k OBO.

History: She was first sold in New Mexico (American Toyota - Albuquerque) and per some stickers she had some history in the PNW. I bought her with Oregon tags in Washington state (from a guy with Montana as a last name) - can't make that up. She was promised as "everything works" but nothing could have been further from the truth when she was delivered across the country. I broke every rule in the book buying her and have paid handsomely as a penance. But, happy that I was able to "save" this 40 and bring new life to her. I will (already?) regret this but with two little ones 5 & under at home, I don't get to drive her very often. Someone else deserves to have some fun.

I have the original/matching hard top - it needs a new headliner and some TLC - pics posted below.

Work is detailed below and couple notes on things not working/addressed:
- Left turn signal is in-operable (11/7 update: left turn signal worked very briefly today; but right turn signal quit working on a ride this afternoon)
- Transfer case is wet at front output shaft and between case and transmission (fluid level is good and i have never seen any fluid on ground)
- 10/16/2023 service notes said birfields leaking (didn't see that until I got home)

2018 work:
- Brakes (new master cylinder, rear wheel cylinders/shoes/drums, front brake calipers/rotors/pads, repack front wheel bearings and flex brake hoses)
- Replace all tie rod ends
- Alignment
- Replace both tail lamps, bulbs in front markers/turn signals, clean all connections
- Replace starter assembly
- Replace both front seat belts
- Reinstall air filter assembly and add emission filter

2019 work:
- New battery
- Install OME suspension lift
- Install wiper arm linkage

2020-2021 work (Trollhole's):
- Removed 2nd gas tank; replace fuel system
- New windshield; new rear view mirror
- Added tailgate, painted mustard yellow
- New cowell drains
- New passenger taillight
- Cleaned up electrical
- Fix igniter setup
- New water pump; radiator hose, thermostat
- New fan blade
- Front axle/knuckle rebuild
- New air filter
- New belt/alternator pulley
- New oil pressure sender; remove aftermarket oil pressure setup
- New seals in transmission
- Brake service

2022 work:
- Oil change
- Washed and re-oiled air filter
- Rear brake bulb

2023 work:
- Oil change/filter service
- Tire rotation
- Drive belt tightened

tempImageIy5L6u.jpg

Last edited:
FWIW, per a request I found compression test numbers from December 2018, not long after taking ownership and before all work being done. I also found the original Owner's Manual (great condition). I also have the Owner's Guide which is in poor shape but does note the original owner, etc.

Cylinder #1 @ 145
Cylinder #2 @ 150
Cylinder #3 @ 150
Cylinder #4 @ 150
Cylinder #5 @ 145
Cylinder #6 @ 145

Weather permitting, I will be taking her for a spin during SEWE weekend here in Charleston... might throw a For Sale sign on her but trying to avoid the gen pop if possible, ha. If any mudders are around and enjoying the event and want to have a joyride or two, keys are yours.

Pretty darn solid price right there. If you are trying to convince yourself that a yellow 40 won't attract attention from EVERYONE, forget it. And, you will never stop looking back as you walk into Walmart.
My wife's yellow 40 was less money but I flew past the seller's number a long time ago just getting it where this one is.

GLWS!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom