For Sale Charleston, SC - 1976 FJ40 - Original Mustard Yellow (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series
Mileage
Color
Yellow
I've owned this 40 for the past 5+ years and have had all work done either locally by a Toyota/Landcruiser mechanic (McIntosh Imports) or by Trollhole's Cruisers. I am not mechanically-inclined but happy to answer any questions to the best of my abilities. $20k OBO.

History: She was first sold in New Mexico (American Toyota - Albuquerque) and per some stickers she had some history in the PNW. I bought her with Oregon tags in Washington state (from a guy with Montana as a last name) - can't make that up. She was promised as "everything works" but nothing could have been further from the truth when she was delivered across the country. I broke every rule in the book buying her and have paid handsomely as a penance. But, happy that I was able to "save" this 40 and bring new life to her. I will (already?) regret this but with two little ones 5 & under at home, I don't get to drive her very often. Someone else deserves to have some fun.

I have the original/matching hard top - it needs a new headliner and some TLC - pics posted below.

Work is detailed below and couple notes on things not working/addressed:
- Left turn signal is in-operable (11/7 update: left turn signal worked very briefly today; but right turn signal quit working on a ride this afternoon)
- Transfer case is wet at front output shaft and between case and transmission (fluid level is good and i have never seen any fluid on ground)
- 10/16/2023 service notes said birfields leaking (didn't see that until I got home)

2018 work:
- Brakes (new master cylinder, rear wheel cylinders/shoes/drums, front brake calipers/rotors/pads, repack front wheel bearings and flex brake hoses)
- Replace all tie rod ends
- Alignment
- Replace both tail lamps, bulbs in front markers/turn signals, clean all connections
- Replace starter assembly
- Replace both front seat belts
- Reinstall air filter assembly and add emission filter

2019 work:
- New battery
- Install OME suspension lift
- Install wiper arm linkage

2020-2021 work (Trollhole's):
- Removed 2nd gas tank; replace fuel system
- New windshield; new rear view mirror
- Added tailgate, painted mustard yellow
- New cowell drains
- New passenger taillight
- Cleaned up electrical
- Fix igniter setup
- New water pump; radiator hose, thermostat
- New fan blade
- Front axle/knuckle rebuild
- New air filter
- New belt/alternator pulley
- New oil pressure sender; remove aftermarket oil pressure setup
- New seals in transmission
- Brake service

2022 work:
- Oil change
- Washed and re-oiled air filter
- Rear brake bulb

2023 work:
- Oil change/filter service
- Tire rotation
- Drive belt tightened

tempImageIy5L6u.jpg

Last edited:
Cool original! Any underhood pics?

Indeed! Thanks, looks good.

That Downey/Holley 2B is a good setup!

Can you share any interior pics?
@troutbum311 - of course... if you want anything else in particular, just let me know. As with the original paint, I wanted to keep the look and didn't replace dash, etc. Passenger seat in good shape, driver seat has seen some (slow) miles. I have various mats that will obviously convey but stripped her naked to show floors/pan.

tempImageLHwh1J.png

tempImagevjPOGi.png

tempImageVIAHXb.png

tempImaged2P7Rl.png

tempImageSfmr8J.png

I'll edit original post but took her to the gym today and the left blinker worked (!?!) twice as I habitually use even knowing that it has rarely worked... but didn't work again. And then on way home the right blinker - which has always worked - quit working. Just want to be transparent about condition.

Great looking FJ....partial to the color just a tad. Following.

I also have the original Owner's Guide... not in great shape but has notes in it from initial owner.

I will include the receipts for the core work (and a couple routine maintenance services):
Trollhole's - $13k+
McIntosh - $6k+

@Ocho77 - not just yet... I will make the short drive to my dad's house to get some pictures this Sunday... just too busy with work/kids... might have a window tomorrow as weather looks iffy this weekend to make that task enjoyable. But... here are a couple pictures I sent via DM to someone with the same request. These were my "before" pictures prior to the lift and tires being added.

tempImagecJc8pz.jpg

tempImageCjYjNO.jpg

Pics of the top and doors. I'd say doors are in good shape with some rust noted at bottom... top needs some love. The cap needs replacing and there are trouble rust spots in the back bottom corners. I brought the doors home so can snap more pics as requested. I decided to not bring the top home in favor of my marriage (but can share more pics/video another time).

tempImage2RfT8D.jpg

tempImages79txy.jpg

tempImagexP9Fx9.jpg

tempImagekKz28R.jpg

tempImagemro2VH.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom