Charcoal Canister - Great Option! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

imo, the check valves and breather tube become clogged, not allowing the charcoal to release vapor back into the system. Instead, it builds pressure and vents out of the breather - so you smell the vapor.
The purpose of the CC is not to hold gas vapor forever. It just holds it until the engine runs and is absorbed into the evap system.

The OEM canister is really well built with everything made of metal including the valves. This *may* make them harder to clean or fix if broken- not sure -but
If the valves break, you could replace with something like this- generic check valves-
checkvalve2.jpg

I am running one of these cheap CC's but my old CC was working ok too. I was curious to see if there is any difference.
I am skeptical of how long these autozone ones will last, especially with offroading, but we will see.

I'm still looking for a good screw-top container I can use to make my own CC as well.

1. How the bracket closes on OEM Canister (the ends touch when tightened).
2. How the bracket closes on replacement aftermarket Canister.
3. Bottom of replacement aftermarket Canister as delivered.
(Next Post)
4. Bottom of replacement aftermarket Canister as drilled for drainage.
5. Replacement aftermarket Canister installed showing 2.5 inch bolt.
DSC09481_SM.jpg
DSC09477_SM.jpg
DSC09482_SM.jpg

Just ordered one from AutoZone (The Duralast one) they had to have it shipped from a sister store.

I would love for this to solve the excessive pressure issue...

I was on Hell's Revenge last October (It was hot still) had the AC going the whole time. When I smelled gas, I removed the gas cap and was treated to a 15 minute fumey, hand-dryer on the back of my truck...

I put a rochester unit from rockauto and it cured the gas fume smell. took about 15 minutes max to swap them out, and I had to replace the rubber hose that comes from the hard line going to the tank with a larger piece of fuel line because the original was so stiff I couldn't get it to slip over vent side.

I have been driving quite a bit in the warmer weather at high speeds. smelled some fuel vapors after stopping today. One of the hoses wasnt on as snuggly as it should.

Noticed Daniel drilled holes at the bottom, wondering why and if thats something I need to do

Jeeper -

Thank you for saving me $250, I just ordered one and have needed this since I bought this rig.

Noticed Daniel drilled holes at the bottom, wondering why and if thats something I need to do

I figured with the possibility of splashing and water crossings, even engine washing (probably mostly engine washing), if the vent there ever was taking in air (i saw some posts about the original hose being routed to the inner fenderwall - which it was - for "cleaner air") that it would be better if the dish was not full of water / debris. If nothing else the holes will stop mosquitoes from breeding. I did not see a downside since the "dish" on the bottom is open all the way around anyway and since its not Toyota OEM I cant argue that the Toyota Engineers must have had their reasons. :cheers:

Got mine on today....Couple things I did differently...

First I unconnected the two hoses on top.
Then I removed 4 bolts holding bracket assembly to inner fender
removed the whole thing from the truck
removed old canister

Here's where I differ a bit.

I then removed lower of the 2 strap rings (unbolted it from the bottom of bracket assembly)

I did this because I found that:

with the wider diameter canister, the lower strap ring was making contact with the wiring harness as it leads into the relay box, and since the new canister is so much lighter, I felt like the one strap was going to be sufficient. (I also ended up "suspending" the canister rather than letting it rest on the bottom---took away a potential rattle)

Replaced one remaining bolt with 2.5" x 1/4" as indicated in previous posts.
Put it all back together...(I put the bracket back in empty first to get to the bolts easier, then put the can in)

I made no mods to the can itself, I don't foresee a bunch of stuff getting in there.

To the Pix!

cimg1907k.jpg

By trapper50cal at 2011-03-26

cimg1908wz.jpg

cimg1910.jpg

cimg1911r.jpg

Last edited:
Any updates regarding these new canisters in hotter weather now that it's May; good, bad, or indifferent?

I put an OEM one in last year, and it's already starting to show signs of failure (gas boiling, smell, etc.)

Drove mine at 7,000'+ altitude and in the 80's (separately) with no venting issues so far. 100% happy here. The final test will be 85+ out at 7,000' altitude. So far the two have not met.

:cheers:

Steve

Back from Cruise Moab and not a bit of pressure during any fill up. Noticed the faint smell of gas when parked steeply nose down on the 7 Mile Rim Trail, but I was surrounded by a few other 80's :)

I'm calling this mod a success!

The smell on mine isn't so bad, but when I stopped in Grand Junction on the way back from CM, it vented, then I could hear the boiling, which wouldn't allow me to begin fueling for a few minutes. I don't think I can go wrong with this mod, so I may just have to order it up.

I'm a good test piece being at a base altitude of 8,000', SC'd with a long ranger aux tank, pulling a camper everywhere, and trying to keep it 5 MPH over the speed limit.

The smell on mine isn't so bad, but when I stopped in Grand Junction on the way back from CM, it vented, then I could hear the boiling, which wouldn't allow me to begin fueling for a few minutes. I don't think I can go wrong with this mod, so I may just have to order it up.

I'm a good test piece being at a base altitude of 8,000', SC'd with a long ranger aux tank, pulling a camper everywhere, and trying to keep it 5 MPH over the speed limit.

Can't wait to see if GM (Pontiac no less :eek:) charcoal is superior to Toyota charcoal. If it is, what next :flipoff2:?

Just ordered one today from my local Autozone.. 39.50 here tomorrow for Saturday install...

Can't wait to see if GM (Pontiac no less :eek:) charcoal is superior to Toyota charcoal. If it is, what next :flipoff2:?

Wait a min now, let's not compare a 10+ yr od CC with a new GM CC :rolleyes: Now, if you were to ask how a new Toyota CC compares with a new GM CC, that'd be a fair comparison :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom