Charcoal Canister - Great Option!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So what do you do with the open connection for the bottom portion that the OEM used? Do you leave it open or cover it?
I'm about to install this. I notice you said you don't need the bottom hose, so what do you do with the uncovered opening that the hose used to connect to? See picture
Ignore or remove. It is open top and bottom. Simply runs into the frame rail.
 
So what do you do with the open connection for the bottom portion that the OEM used? Do you leave it open or cover it?

I'm about to install this. I notice you said you don't need the bottom hose, so what do you do with the uncovered opening that the hose used to connect to? See picture

View attachment 4117801
Just left it like that. It just vents to air.
 
Thanks for the replies everyone. I just changed the canister to the one OP suggested and it works great. No more harsh hissing noises when removing the gas cap at the pump nor strong gas smells upon start up.

However the duralast canister is wider so I could only use 2/4 bolts on the factory mount but it is secure nonetheless.

I'll probably keep the original charcoal canister in case this one fails. Is there a way to clean/refurbish it?

Cheers 🥂
 
I replaced mine with the AC Delco unit. That immediately solved the gasoline smell and stopped the tank from building up pressure. Fitment isn't great, so I'll eventually rebuild the OEM one, thanks for the link above!
 
Thanks for the great writeup - used it to open my canister. I am confused about the bb on the Tank side... it didn't look like anything was wrong with mine - the spring was in place, the ball bearing was restricting inbound flow, and my canister was pretty clean inside, but you couldn't blow almost any air from the tank hose into the canister. I am very confused about how that was originally designed to work. The way the ball bearing is situated would normally restrict inbound airflow into the canister - in my case, it wasn't FULLY blocked, but it was VERY difficult to blow any air into it (but not impossible)... so maybe the original design called for a very restricted airflow to the canister? But the FSM says "if the airflow is in any way restricted, fail the test"... very confused.

Also... what are people using for filters? I have some 1mm polyester felt with no adhesive or anything, which seems like a decent idea to use... any thoughts on that? I can't seem to find any automotive grade filter paper where I am, and I don't feel right using a coffee filter as they're too thin - or am I overthinking this?
 
Dear lord I'm such an idiot. I reassembled, JB Welded, and painted the can and it looks beautiful........ and I just found the damn center spring on my desk, which means I forgot to install it. DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!! No wonder the charcoal was bouncing around - I was wondering if I didn't put enough in... I don't think I'll be able to reopen it ever again, so what do I do? Leave as is?
 
Back
Top Bottom