Changing front rotors and repacking wheel bearings (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I planning on replacing the front brake rotors for my 1997 LX450 sometime soon next week and also having the front wheel bearings repack. I know the Lexus dealership will hit me hard on the wallet. So I'm wondering if the rotor replacement job should already include the repacking of the front wheel bearings.

Any one have any suggestions if I'm on the right track or if this is two seperate services?

Thanks in advance for the help.

-J

The old bearings will need to be knocked out of the old rotors. You should just have them put new bearings in the new rotors. They are not that expensive.

Amen, BMT.

Ed

Junk,

I would love to be able to do th job myself but just don't have the time and space for this.

-J

Define not that expensive? the Toyota price for those bearings is US$50 each set or $200 all around (hopefully Lexus charges the same not more) and they use Timkens or Koyo. I was able to buy all 4 sets of Timkens from a local bearing supplier for $80CDN or about US$60 total. Koyo was about $10 more.

Wheel bearings do not need to be replaced, or even serviced for that matter, when replacing a rotor. The bearings are in the hub and the hub in turn bolts to the rotor. The outer bearing will need to be removed to avoid damaging it but the inner with the oil seal can remain left alone.

That being said, changing rotors and not, at least, packing the bearings is like taking a shower and putting your dirty clothes back on. :rolleyes:

Cdan,

So are saying that changing the rotors does not require repacking the wheel bearings, but is a suggested step to include in my service?

Also Cdan, when repacking the wheel bearings can the service techinican tighten the wheel bearings as well. I was told by a auto mechanic several months ago there's a bit of play on the passenger wheel and he was the one that suggest I should have the wheel bearings repack.

As always thanks for your help Cdan and everyone in this forum.

-J

J,

The answer to both of your questions is YES. If repacking the bearings - especially when you've already have some play, I would definitely put in new bearings as well.

With that said, I re-used mine since I did not have any play.

Regards,
Frank.

The bearings will be pre-loaded or "tightened" when the hub and rotor are re-installed on the spindle. This step will be performed no matter what is done or not done to the bearings. Generaly a "re-pack" will be sold along with the rotor replacement.

<<<" So are saying that changing the rotors does not require repacking the wheel bearings, but is a suggested step to include in my service?">>>

Yes, I am....... :)

I just called a local Toyota dealership (not Lexus) on the cost to repack the front wheel bearings (just wheel bearings not including the rotors). He quoted me with an outrageous price of $360 for labor along stating that this is a 5 hour job.

Are they for real, What's a reasonable price for just repacking the wheel bearings?

By the way, thanks for all the help. :)

-J

J,

It's all free if you do it yourself (Yes, I did read your space & time limit) - don't really know if you could find a space to work on, but about timing, you could do a whole job for less then the time that you have to hassle with by bringing in the truck for that service!!!

Took me less than 3 hours (alone) to do all these & that's my first time trying.

Frank.

Frank,

Your right, I have to admit, I'm just too lazy to do the job myself.

-J

J, one thing to consider is if you are replacing the rotors consider going with 100 series pads. I was sceptical at first but have tried them and they work great. However I'm not sure a toyota dealer would be willing to put in them as they are not the original equipment. I doubt you will need bearings either but if you did them yourself you could wait until inspection to decide. Autozone carries Timkens for a boat load less then the dealer.

OEM boxed Timkins:

Inner, 90080-36064, list $36.72 ea
Outer, 90080-36067, list $30.47 ea

lx450 if a previuos mech said that the hubs were loose then more than likely the races will be shot as mine were (but just on the pass side) see my post about birf grease and a hummmm from the front, i have pics of what the races looked like. i was able to get all of the front bearins and races from a local bearing and drive merchant. for $63 U.S also get your self a brass drift (bout 6in long,5/16 dia) 54mm socket (one of the otc brand types) might have it at the bearing store, and a fising spring scale also if you dont have a FSM one of us could send you a copy of the page for the bearing replacement via email (mine are from alldatapro)

its kinda messy but get yourself some latex gloves and go to town oh and some good grease, i got the mobil brand but i'm sure any good bearing grease will do (so i'm told)

good luck it really isnt hard

LX450,

This is not a tough job. If you don't want to do it, then you'll pay someone else to do it, basically. Not too much to discuss there.

DougM

A good shop will charge you around $150 to repack your front wheel bearings. 2.5 hours labor at $55 per hour and parts charge of $22.00 for 2 front seals. Since you don't want to do this stuff yourself I would find a good shop you can trust and that won't rip you off. Good luck.

I ended up doing the rotor replacement myself -- well, with the help of a few good cruiser buddies to help make sure I didn't screw anything up since it was my first time around. Plus they had a few tools I needed to do the job right.

All in all, it was a great learning experience and I will most likely do it again.

My local Lexus dealership wanted 1200 for front and rear pad and rotor replacment. Parts wise that would've been the rotors, pads and seals. Uh...and grease. The rest of the cost was all labor related (at $90/hr) I said :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: to that.

Lexus dealerships do charge more for parts than Toyota dealerships do -- for the SAME parts. I've done a price comparison. At least that's the case where I am. Their labor rates are higher too.

The only time they see me now is for warranty work -- I have 9000 miles left on my extended warranty, which means that I don't have much time to get all the little kinks fixed...for free :D :D

If you have the time AND the FSM (or good equivalent) AND/OR someone who's done it before to help you through, I'd recommend doing it yourself.

It does take a while to do and it is a very messy job -- you can easily count on spending several hundred to have a shop do it for you.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom