Centering the front axle. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Broski

I love Wheelin my 80
SILVER Star
Threads
Looking for tips on how you center the front axle. what points do you measure from ?
I have been trying to go for the frame to the top of the control arm mounts.
As I was doing this I realized that the track bar bushings were replaced with the wrong ones. :mad: :bang: by the PO

All kinds of options, most depend on variables such as how the truck was parked, if there's more weight on one side, 'cruiser lean', body straightness, etc. I'd either put a straight edge from the bottom of the tire to the top and beyond and measure to the fender (if mine were't crushed unevenly) or measure from the frame to the wheel somewhere.

The problem with any attempt to center the axle is that typically it will result in major interference between the tires and the frame and/or fenders. The design of the suspension, specifically the use of a panhard (track) bar, means the axle moves towards the passenger side when the passenger spring is compressed. If you have a lift and/or oversize tires, the clearances are tight and moving the axle towards the passenger side can put the passenger tire into the fender and/or the driver's tire into the frame when the suspension cycles. May or may not be an issue on your truck, if for instance you have cut your fenders or are limiting the amount of uptravel you have. YMMV, just be aware, don't be suprised on the trail.

To expand on @-Spike- comments--your axle is "centered" using a stock length panhard bar. Meaning, you will most likely have equal clearance (or rubbing) on each side during articulation.

If you want it centered AT RIDE HEIGHT, you're wanting a visual change. Primarily for looks. As such, you can just eyeball down the side of the vehicle, or line up the edges of the flares (visually) and get a really close estimation of where "center" is. Basically, look at it, adjust panhard, look again--you can pretty easily get within 1/8" without trying too hard. :)

All kinds of options, most depend on variables such as how the truck was parked, if there's more weight on one side, 'cruiser lean', body straightness, etc. I'd either put a straight edge from the bottom of the tire to the top and beyond and measure to the fender (if mine were't crushed unevenly) or measure from the frame to the wheel somewhere.

The problem with any attempt to center the axle is that typically it will result in major interference between the tires and the frame and/or fenders. The design of the suspension, specifically the use of a panhard (track) bar, means the axle moves towards the passenger side when the passenger spring is compressed. If you have a lift and/or oversize tires, the clearances are tight and moving the axle towards the passenger side can put the passenger tire into the fender and/or the driver's tire into the frame when the suspension cycles. May or may not be an issue on your truck, if for instance you have cut your fenders or are limiting the amount of uptravel you have. YMMV, just be aware, don't be suprised on the trail.
Major cutting has been done to say the lest. I'm going to cheat it to the driver side.
1596750416932.png

I guess I should have said truck is lifted, on 39s and heavily modified.
1596750801746.png

LOL

I guess I should have said truck is lifted, on 39s and heavily modified.View attachment 2395576
I assumed as much. I'd agree with @I Lean that the easiest method is by eye. The part that's more difficult is that after your adjustment you really should pull the springs and articulate the suspension through its range, with tires turned all possible ways, to confirm there's no excessive interference. Note I didn't say 'no interference'- mine rubs lightly on both sides, telling me my axle is where it needs to be and my tires are the correct size. :hillbilly:

Yep had the springs out when I did all the cutting. I'm thinking moving the axle 1/8 to 1/4" one way or the other is not going to matter much.

Yep had the springs out when I did all the cutting. I'm thinking moving the axle 1/8 to 1/4" one way or the other is not going to matter much.
Probably not. Then again, if it was only off that much, you probably wouldn't notice it. I guess you might be concerned about whether it's centered as a matter of principle, not because it 'looks off', which IME is what most posters are concerned with.

If I were worried about those tolerances, I'd probably measure diagonally between the inner frame rails and the top trunnion caps, or some other presumably even points on the axle. Measuring from the passenger frame rail to the driver's side knuckle and vice versa will give you the longest possible measurements, and limit the angles as much as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom