Centering Steering Wheel (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

izzyandsue

Izzy
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.tactegra.com
On a recent off-road excursion on boulder terrain, my steering wheel became off-center. The truck was aligned recently, and tracked fine, but steering wheel was pointing at 10-o-clock. This process is what I used, after reading through other posts, to bring the steering wheel back to center.

Make sure the truck is parked with the wheels straight, turn the key in the ignition so the steering wheel does not lock, but don't start the engine. Don't worry about the steering wheel angle, that's what you are going to correct.

Before you start, use PB Blaster to soak the bolts and rod on drag link. I did this part a day ahead of the fix to get the hardware loose. Tools I used where 17mm socket, 17mm box wrench, persuader pipe to use with ratchet handle, pipe wrench, large flat screwdriver or pry bar.

IMG_0663.jpg

This is the drag link, the arrows point to the 17mm bolts you need to soak and the threaded area on the link itself you need to soak.
upload_2018-11-1_14-14-21.png

Loosen up the two bolts but do not remove the nut. Loosen them up enough so now you can use the pry bar to open them A LITTLE, just so you can rotate them as needed.

Position the pipe wrench on the drag link and rotate it. This position is to rotate the pipe wrench handle towards the rear of the truck. The steering wheel will spin to the driver side, counterclockwise from the driver seat.
upload_2018-11-1_14-23-40.png

This position is to rotate the pipe wrench handle towards the front of the truck. The steering wheel will spin to the passenger side, clockwise from the driver seat.
upload_2018-11-1_14-26-5.png

If you have a helper, have them seat on driver seat and tell you when the wheel is moved to center. After done, use the 17mm ratchet and wrench to tighten the bolts and go for a drive to test the steering wheel feel.

You may need to do the process a couple of times to get the final adjustments done, its an iterative process. I had to do it 3 times to get it perfect.

Keep in mind this just to get your steering re-centered, will not solve alignment issues, Pitman arm twisted splines, or other related maladies. But if your 80 is aligned and all you need to do is get the steering wheel back to normal, easy steps to follow.

The box is tighter at center, so relationship of the steering wheel center to the box center should be maintained. Always center the wheel with the drag link, that is how it's designed to be done.

Setting up the alignment on a straight axle is simple. When knocked out, it's just as likely that toe changed as the drag link, I always check and reset both.

Alignment Setting Toe

How can the steering wheel get off center without the alignment going bad? It seems like something would have to come loose or bend to cause the steering wheel to shift. I am just curious cause I have had the same thing happen before.

Sort of...depends on what is meant by "bad" alignment, and what got bent. Pics show post-Christmas tree hunting carnage to the relay rod on my rig. The steering wheel was off by a good 90º but it still drove perfectly fine, as only the distance from Pittman arm to the PS knuckle had changed. Just the excuse needed to get a beefier relay rod and fresh tie rod ends.

RelayRod01.jpg

RelayRod02.jpg

How can the steering wheel get off center without the alignment going bad? It seems like something would have to come loose or bend to cause the steering wheel to shift. I am just curious cause I have had the same thing happen before.

Most typical reason is a slightly bent drag link. If drag link is bent, the distance between the two ends has changed, and therefore the steering wheel (and the arm on the steering box) have to be in a different position to keep your tires pointed straight. @NorCal97 photo is a bit of an extreme case. Also if your drag link rod ends are buggered or if the clamp came loose, that can cause the steering wheel to go off-center.

On a recent off-road excursion on boulder terrain, my steering wheel became off-center...
I think we took the same line. Mine is off just enough to be noticeable, ~11:30 on flat ground, a little more on a road with a more pronounced crown.

Adding lift will also throw the steering wheel off center. This is due to the front panhard bar changing angle.
On mine, the drag link threads were rusty inside and took a lot of effort to get the tie rod ends (drag link ends?) to move in the "shorter" direction. Big vise + big pipe wrench + cheater pipe + PB'laster + heat + beer + more beer finally got the job done. Much easier off the truck, and still a PITA.

Great write up. I just got notified of this thread and it's exactly what I need. I was trying to use the service manual but in there they don't call it a 'drag link' so I couldn't find anything. They call it a 'relay rod' I think. I just replaced what I thought were the tie rod end but actually I see they were the relay rod (drag link) ends, got an alignment (when I guess I didn't really need it) and now the steering wheel is off but this will fix it. I am 100% sure the shop did not, does not know about this. Wonder if I should tell them. haha

Oh..BTW.. the clamp bolts get torqued down to 27 ft/lb

After a tire rotation, I just had my wheels professionally aligned to just keep things in check, but the steering wheel is a few mm off center to the right.

Meaning when I'm driving straight ahead on the hwy, I have to hold the steering wheel slightly tweaked to the passenger side which I gauge by looking at the top section of the steering wheel center cover in relation to non-rotating steering wheel top cover right in front of the instrument panel.

Based on the above, am I rotating the relay rod counter-clockwise to get the steering wheel tweaked to the driver side a few mm? This would be pushing the wrench to the rear of the truck in the example.

****************************************************************************************************************************************
Screenshot 2023-04-23 at 12.01.54 PM.png

****************************************************************************************************************************************

Also, wth is this arrow pointing to? I don't see a nut there. Thanks!

Screenshot 2023-04-23 at 11.53.34 AM.png

Danke!

If you can let go of the wheel and the truck drives straight, then steering wheel center can be corrected by changing the length of the relay rod (drag link).
If you have to hold the wheel in one direction then the alignment is wrong or there is another issue.

If you can let go of the wheel and the truck drives straight, then steering wheel center can be corrected by changing the length of the relay rod (drag link).
If you have to hold the wheel in one direction then the alignment is wrong or there is another issue.
That's not my question dude, but cool. lol

Last edited:
Rolling the rod toward the front of truck = steering wheel adjusts to left/driver, and then vice versa

So yep, in that photo, pushing the wrench down = rolling rod toward front, which will adjust the steering wheel to driver side

I assume the blue arrow is supposed to refer to the nut/bolt on that end, it's just not drawn quite in the right spot

Last edited:
That's not my question dude, but cool. lol
I think he saying there's a difference between the wheel simply being off center VS having to hold it to the side in order to stay straight (ie the truck pulls to one side). I could see how one might be unclear on which of the two you were describing, but to me it sounds like you just mean it's off center - and the truck drives straight otherwise (no pull), yeah?

I think he saying there's a difference between the wheel simply being off center VS having to hold it to the side in order to stay straight (ie the truck pulls to one side). I could see how one might be unclear on which of the two you were describing, but to me it sounds like you just mean it's off center - and the truck drives straight otherwise (no pull), yeah?
I'm in the same situation as the op thus my bump.

Your explanation about rolling the rod to the front of truck is clever, nailed. Based on the op's logic, it follows. I roll the rod toward the front of truck and the steering wheel will adjust to the driver side which is what I need to get it where I want it.

I'm still not clear on what nuts I'm loosening based on the pics and not seeing anything in the FSM referencing steering wheel center correction. Are the nuts circled in red the correct ones and then I take a wrench to rotate?

RelayRod01 4.38.48 PM.jpg

Thx for y'all's patience, never done this before. Just getting sick of using techs that aren't as OCD as the customer which always points back to I need a crib with a garage someday. :D

Last edited:
I'm in the same situation as the op thus my bump.

Your explanation about rolling the rod to the front of truck is clever, nailed. Based on the op's logic, it follows. I roll the rod toward the front of truck and the steering wheel will adjust to the driver side which is what I need to get it where I want it.

I'm still not clear on what nuts I'm loosening based on the pics and not seeing anything in the FSM referencing steering wheel center correction. Are the nuts circled in red the correct ones and then I take a wrench to rotate?

View attachment 3305728

Thx for y'all's patience, never done this before. Just getting sick of using techs that aren't as OCD as the customer which always points back to I need a crib with a garage someday. :D
Is that your truck? If so, don't bother with the nuts.

Never mind; I read back through the thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom