...another steering wheel recover thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi friends,

I've got a couple of 3 spoke 80 series steering wheels I need to recover. First for the Holy Truck, and then the Omani Diesel. I've been doing steering wheels every year or so for a while and I thought I would try something different this time--making my own pattern. I may embarrass myself by posting here before it is complete, but here-goes.

At the moment I don't have a spare 80 steering wheel with old leather still on it. I could go to the scrapyard and geat yet another steering wheel but I seem to have several around the apartment now hardly need another lying about. Also, I've had concerns with using the old leather as a pattern.

This time I thought I would try making a pattern with several layers of painters and masking tape.
1698568269285.jpeg

Here is the wheel I am going to cover--actually for the first time because this wheel never had leather on it--just a textured foam in grey. I've de-rusted and covered the wheel with blue painters tape.
I hate rust, even where I cannot see it, so I primered the metal.
1698568413898.jpeg

I ran a little short of time and rushed the finish coat, leaving an interesting mottled grey-black finish, which I actually kind of like.
1698568471137.jpeg

Then a layer of regular masking tape
1698568507491.jpeg

And another layer of blue
1698568527352.jpeg

Here is the wheel with the several layers of tape on it.
1698568581597.jpeg

Then I used a pen to mark a cut line towards the back of the steering wheel to be a little more out of the say.
1698568647492.jpeg

1698568665122.jpeg

And then marked it up each spoke.
1698568703591.jpeg

And then after cutting through with a scalpel, started teasing the layers of tape away from the wheel
1698568768296.jpeg

In retrospect I think I would leave a little liquid soap on the steering wheel the help the bottom layer to release.
1698568831872.jpeg

1698568840259.jpeg

1698568850375.jpeg

Interested to see how you go with this.

I'd like to add some shape and thickness to my '93 3 spoke steering wheel.
I've used making tape to template complex shapes a few times. It's handy way to do it.

Did you plan where you'll have seams around the rim?

Here are the patterns laid out on a small camel leather skin
1698572882128.jpeg

Then tracing around with a black pen
IMG-20231029-WA0017[1].jpg

I try to leave about an extra quarter inch on the inside edge of the spoke so the leather overhangs just a little
IMG-20231029-WA0018[1].jpg

1698573183519.jpeg

The next process is to lay out the sewing holes.

Interested to see how you go with this.

I'd like to add some shape and thickness to my '93 3 spoke steering wheel.
I've used making tape to template complex shapes a few times. It's handy way to do it.

Did you plan where you'll have seams around the rim?
The nice thing about leather is that it is somewhat forgiving. And you can choose how thick to go. I had several 80 series wheels with me at the moment and could have gone thinner, but I prefer a thicker wheel.

Re seams, yes. I wanted them towards the back side of the wheel and I decided to have one piece for each spoke and then the long strip across the top. From past experience sometimes you have to adjust things a little and this gives the most flexibility. I will start by covering the bottom, wide spoke, then do the two side spokes, leaving the strip on the top for last.

So here is the raw material:
1698597467389.jpeg

I then generally start in the corners and work outward
IMG-20231029-WA0023[1].jpg

IMG-20231029-WA0025[1].jpg

IMG-20231029-WA0026[1].jpg

Now that I am ready to sew, I coat the backside with PVA glue. This is commonly used for bookbinding because it stays flexible and dries clear. Not sure how PVA works but is stays workable for some time and cleans up with a damp cloth.
1698597773528.jpeg

Then it is time for the moment of truth
IMG-20231029-WA0028[1].jpg

Leather, particularly thick, soft leather, is pretty forgiving stuff. It is elastic enough to deal with minor imperfections, especially with PVA glue backing it so you can slide things around a little.

I begin sewing at each end and alternate every few stitches.
1698597951954.jpeg

1698597967770.jpeg

I use 'baseball stitch, which is basically like lacing your shoes. There are lots of videos on how to do this:

1698597979039.jpeg

And with some fettling, the first segment is done:
1698598159834.jpeg

Here is the backside:
IMG-20231029-WA0028[1].jpg

And a close up:
1698598306430.jpeg

To be candid with you, right in the corners I had to double up use of the holes despite taking care with the hole count. But as you can see, it is hard to tell--I'd say even impossible to see or feel when it is on the car.

I'm using an 80 wheel that was not intended to have leather on it because I wanted a thicker and softer steering wheel. I just find it more pleasant when driving.

Another comment I should make is about thread color. I am using black or at least a dark brown now. When I first started doing leather work for the Land Cruisers I used a nice off-white but very rapidly the stitching gets soiled and there is really nothing you can do to clean it. So black is by far more practical.

One other thing, the presenter in the video mentions a lock stitch when you are starting, I purposefully did not do that here because when I join the next segment I will do a square lock stitch and if I had done one here, that joint would get a bit bulky.

I think I will stop here tonight. This does take concentration.

lookin good!!

One tip I can offer is to put the holes a bit closer together on the side with the sharp corner:
1698917085669.jpeg

I did not get very far last evening.
1000048178.jpg

Good job. I redid mine, bought a kit on amazon for like 40$. Didn't want to spend anymore time on it.

Good job. I redid mine, bought a kit on amazon for like 40$. Didn't want to spend anymore time on it.
I hear you. I did the same on a 100 series wheel and it made a big improvement. On these wheels I do it partly because I actually enjoy the process and also get a little kick out of using camel leather from a local tannery. It is also something I can do in my apartment in the evening listening to music as more of a craft thing.

I hear you. I did the same on a 100 series wheel and it made a big improvement. On these wheels I do it partly because I actually enjoy the process and also get a little kick out of using camel leather from a local tannery. It is also something I can do in my apartment in the evening listening to music as more of a craft thing.
Hi John, question for you, I understand that it is more convenient to work the bench, but to your experience is it possible to do it without removing the steering wheel?

Hi John, question for you, I understand that it is more convenient to work the bench, but to your experience is it possible to do it without removing the steering wheel?
Yes for the simple just around the rim recovering. The generic without coverage of the spokes. Better than really awful old leather, but still not all that great. Here is a photo of an example of this:
1698951354984.png

View attachment 3471257
1698951438368.png
What I like to do is go to the scrap yard and get a spare steering wheel and practice on that first. Then I put it on the car so I can drive it and then I can work on the original wheel at my leisure.

This is what I did with Missus White the 105:
1698951805203.png

Really not a very good job, but it let me practice for re-doing the original wheel:
1698951906517.png

It is not perfect, but I like it.

And there is something very satisfying about this particular activity, for me at least. Every time I get in a truck that I have done the wheel on I am reminded of that when I touch it. I don't try to do everything on my LC's any more, but the feel of a steering wheel is a sensory thing. I don't mean to overblow this but I really enjoy this particular little job.

Last edited:
Yes for the simple just around the rim recovering. The generic without coverage of the spokes. Better than really awful old leather, but still not all that great. Here is a photo of an example of this:
View attachment 3471255
View attachment 3471257View attachment 3471258What I like to do is go to the scrap yard and get a spare steering wheel and practice on that first. Then I put it on the car so I can drive it and then I can work on the original wheel at my leisure.

This is what I did with Missus White the 105:
View attachment 3471262
Really not a very good job, but it let me practice for re-doing the original wheel:
View attachment 3471270
It is not perfect, but I like it.

And there is something very satisfying about this particular activity, for me at least. Every time I get in a truck that I have done the wheel on I am reminded of that when I touch it. I don't try to do everything on my LC's any more, but the feel of a steering wheel is a sensory thing. I don't mean to overblow this but I really enjoy this particular little job.
Thanks for your response and all the possible avenues. I like the « around the rim » option since I have no experience at all in leather wrapping! I think it would be a good start before to increase in complexity. Again many thanks.

Cheers.

Thanks for your response and all the possible avenues. I like the « around the rim » option since I have no experience at all in leather wrapping! I think it would be a good start before to increase in complexity. Again many thanks.

Cheers.
There is a bit of a learning curve. I, for example, managed to attach the wrong end to the last segment so I had to remove the left hand segment and do the sewing over again!

I finished covering the wheel yesterday
1699210525565.jpeg

1699210538357.jpeg

1699210558367.jpeg

1699210621248.jpeg

1699210666004.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom