Center diff locked with chains? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know I should have 2 sets of chains for my 80 (working on getting another set) but currently I have only one set ready to go.

I think I should run the one set on the front but what about locking the center diff? Should it be locked or not?

Thanks

At the risk of sounding silly, if you are in a spot where you need chains I would think the center would have already been locked. ??? I think that I would keep the center locked with chains installed regardless of which end I had chained.

Chain the front for steering control and chain the rear for descending. (my opinion derived from how my dad chained his old Powerwagon)

offroad = CDL
approaching nasty obstacle = rear lock
nastier? = front + rear

in snow open axles can be your friend as you can carry more momentum.

CDL is a given in lower speed low traction scenarios

I dis-agree a bit :D

Center diff locked is just like conventional 4WD. In snow I would think that a better choice. Of course I bailed out of snow country before I aquired my 80. All of my other 4WD's were conventional.

I guess it was a stupid question and perhaps should have provided more specifics. Let's say on a very snowy highway going 30 mph (not talking offroad). It's doubtfull that I'd need chains but in some cases yes.

CDL still locked at 30+ mph?

re-read my post...open AXLES...

CDL in snow = necessity

[quote author=DanKunz link=board=2;threadid=9729;start=msg85551#msg85551 date=1073413759]
offroad = CDL
approaching nasty obstacle = rear lock
nastier? = front + rear

in snow open axles can be your friend as you can carry more momentum.

CDL is a given in lower speed low traction scenarios
[/quote]

like cbizkit, disagree some.

Would not lock the front unless you absolutely need it. In snow, if approaching something like an obstacle, locking the rear would not be bad, but not sure what obstacle would jump out on the highway.

Keep it open.

If on roads using chains, no CDL. If you go offtrail, then CDL in high by using the button would be my choice.

So far today I've already logged 180 miles in snow and ice and it's only 12:15. I don't have locking diffs :(, but I had NO problems with any of it anywhere. Didn't even use the CDL. I think the new Nittos are alot of the reason, but so far no problems. Locked the CDL a few nites ago, and it almost seemed like it was better on snow over ice with it disengaged.

THe center diff is just that a open diff. So with out locking the center and using chains you will spin the oposite faster. Like only putting on chains on one side of the axle. THe viscous coupler will help some or it can allow the power go somewhere else. With chains on the front or rear you will need the center locked. Power is biases to the rear with the viscous coupler and if it spins too fast it will go to the front. This is what we have learned so far. Having the center locked is like engaging the 4 wheel selector with the hubs engaged. You can send all the power to one wheel with the center diff unlocked. So you truly have one wheel drive with the center unlocked. With the center locked you have 2 wheel drive. with the rear locked and center locked 3 wheel drive, ETC. Hope this helps. later Robbie

Robbie, do you know how the VC works?
Does it lock with friction like a cyn-clutch or does it work like a real VC and the as the fluid heats up, it gets hard and that locks it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom