center diff lock: standard on post '92s? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
did I get this right that on the 80s -at least the post '92s- that the center diff lock was indeed standard but there was no manual switch for it (goes auto in low range)?
so no panic if I don't see it while inspecting an 80, correct?
(and btw, what's a good way to check if it's installed, connected etc while looking underneath?)
thanks
TLC-less Eric

E,

You got it right. Put the vehicle in Neutral, engage Low range; Center diff & ABS lights would be on (to tell that it's engaged).

Frank.

Eric,
US 91-92 FJ80s have a locking center differential with a dash switch.
US 93-97 FZJ80s have a locking center differential that locks when the transfer case is put into Low range. If the 93-97 non-US OEM CDL switch is installed by the PO then it will usually be in the top row of switches in the center dash section.

Does this answer your question?
-B-

on a 93 and up look for the front and rear locking switch, as that was an option then, should be a switch on the lefthand side of the steering column. dont confuse it with the center diff lock which is standard on all 80's. its the front and rear lockers that are desireable :D

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=6421;start=msg51864#msg51864 date=1066368088]
Eric,
US 91-92 FJ80s have a locking center differential with a dash switch.
US 93-97 FZJ80s have a locking center differential that locks when the transfer case is put into Low range. If the 93-97 non-US OEM CDL switch is installed by the PO then it will usually be in the top row of switches in the center dash section.

Does this answer your question?
-B-

[/quote]

B....

Sorry to drag the point on. But, presuming that my 93 has a locking center diff, is there still an advantage to installing the switch to? I presume this will just allow me to engage the center diff "manually", right? ???

I've got the switch on my tool box, just haven't put it on yet. If there's no need, I'll just take it back my parts guy.

Tks.

Correct. It's a nice feature IMO. Low range with center diff unlocked makes it easier to turn on tight trails.

Got it..... Thanks.

I seem to also remember that it can help to "engage" it during some towing situations. Since this thing is gonna be towing regularly, that may come in handy.

Now I've just gotta figure out when to use it. :doh:

Brad,

>> presuming that my 93 has a locking center diff <<

It had one when Mr T built it.

Do a search in this section using "Pin 7" and see what you come up with. There should be a series of posts on how to do a mod so that your tranny keeps the low range shift points. On Christo's site he mentions pulling a plug on the Xfer case which causes you to lose the low range tranny shift points (it reverts to the high range shifting). With C-Dan's mod you leave the plug on the xfer and the tranny keeps the low range shift points.

-B-

[quote author=Eduardo96FZJ80 link=board=2;threadid=6421;start=msg52042#msg52042 date=1066412977]
Brad,
I added the switch and did C-Dan's modification to "pin #7, a fairly easy :banana: job

[/quote]

Excellent.... Although a :banana: job for youz guys could be a :banana: :banana: :banana: job 4 me. I'm a noobie on the LC. Also just got the side markers from Andrew, that'll be another :banana: or two there. :D

Brad,
The :banana: :banana: are kinda irrelevant, just wait until finished to reward yourself with the #6 fund :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:
Just take your time, especially when removing plastic dash parts :doh:
breakeage = more dogfood for the parts guy :D

I did a quick search on PIN 7 in the 80 and 100 board and didn't find anything but this post...am I doing something wrong? Thanks

Here's Cdan's post:

Rogue,

Ask and ye shall receive:

Remove the dead pedal and the left front sill plate. In the left kick panel you will find a Silver metal box. That is the ABS ECU. Remove it, and behind you will find a black plastic relay about the size of a cigarette pack. It says "transmission control relay" on it. That's what you are after. The EWD calls it the "center diff lock relay", same thing. Unplug the harness from it and take a terminal pick and remove the black wire with blue tracer from pin#7. Insulate the bare terminal to suit and then put everything else back where you found it. If you have the low 4 position swith at the transfer case unplugged, crawl under there and reconnect that as well.
What you have just accomplished is you have interrupted the signal from the transfer case that tells the lock ECU that you went to low range but you are still sending a signal to the transmission ECU telling it that you ARE in low range. Therefore the transmission will shift in the correct low range pattern. In addition you now have true manual control over center diff locking. It only locks when you tell it to without regard to transfer range selection.
Oh, I forgot the final step......Grab yerself a congratulatory #6 (but not an English one as you have just performed an electrical task, sorry Jim)

Regards.......Dan

Thanks WOB,

So I went back...way back...and read the post, so is c-dan saying that you don't need the switch from slee? How else would you manually engage it? ??? I guess I'm just brain dead on this fine Friday afternoon.

You would need the switch to turn it on and off when you wanted it.

[quote author=Eduardo96FZJ80 link=board=2;threadid=6421;start=msg52058#msg52058 date=1066416793]
Brad,
The :banana: :banana: are kinda irrelevant, just wait until finished to reward yourself with the #6 fund :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:
Just take your time, especially when removing plastic dash parts :doh:
breakeage = more dogfood for the parts guy :D
[/quote]

Eduardo...

Damn, maybe that's where I keep messing up my projects. I've been working in this order....

1) :beer: :beer: :beer:
2) Start job :banana: :banana:
3) :beer: :beer: :beer:
4) Finish job :banana: :banana:
5) :beer: :beer: :beer:

I see now..... you're supposed to save the :beer:'s till AFTER the job is done. :slap:

Hey Brad, a nice benefit is being able to engage the center lock in high range, which is ideal (IMO, of course) for driving in snow. Big tires and AWD tends to suck in snow, being able to lock it up tends to settle things down a little more. Good luck with the T-Case mod, you can do it. -tim

Hey Tim. That's what I'm talkin' about! I can definitely use if for snow. This thing has become my daily driver, and with my job I've got to be able to go 24/7 no matter what the weather is like. That'll be a nice option. I still remember seeing something about an advantage during towing, but I can't seem to find it even when I do a search. Thanks for the 411! :cheers:

The advantage when towing as I understand it is that if you ever need to drop to 4WL to tow up a steep incline, you don't have to have your center diff locked. my .02

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom