center diff lock: standard on post '92s? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Brad,
I must be getting wiser in my old age!! I break less stuff, and bleed less, when I save the Corona's for the end of the job :beer: :beer:....

and I have also shut the job down (when things are not going well)....... :beer: :beer: :beer: and start again the next day!!

[quote author=Safado link=board=2;threadid=6421;start=msg52115#msg52115 date=1066425577]
The advantage when towing as I understand it is that if you ever need to drop to 4WL to tow up a steep incline, you don't have to have your center diff locked. my .02
[/quote]

Huh.. the center diff locked would hurt in 4WL while towing. I'm new to the AWD stuff on anything other than a car. Tks for the 2 cents.

[quote author=Eduardo96FZJ80 link=board=2;threadid=6421;start=msg52116#msg52116 date=1066425903]
Brad,
I must be getting wiser in my old age!! I break less stuff, and bleed less, when I save the Corona's for the end of the job :beer: :beer:....

and I have also shut the job down (when things are not going well)....... :beer: :beer: :beer: and start again the next day!!
[/quote]

Well, I'm getting older... but still dumb as a box of rocks. ;) And, since I'm in the "Microbrew" capitol of the US, I usually end up killing some strong beers mid-project. NEVER seem to be smart enough to walk away from a project. I just swear more, throw some tewls around, bleed more, and fly a few :flipoff2: :flipoff2: around. :D

[quote author=Shortbus link=board=2;threadid=6421;start=msg52126#msg52126 date=1066427748]since I'm in the "Microbrew" capitol of the US, I usually end up killing some strong beers mid-project.
[/quote]

You must be in Portland... just checked your profile, I was right! I'm not a beer enthusiast, but I like McMennamins Ruby Red.

[quote author=firetruck41 link=board=2;threadid=6421;start=msg52142#msg52142 date=1066430581]
You must be in Portland... just checked your profile, I was right! I'm not a beer enthusiast, but I like McMennamins Ruby Red.
[/quote]

Ben, It's Brad here. You know... from the poker game with Nate, Larry, and Scott. Work in Portland, but live in Vancouver. You outta "Cruise" by and check out my LC. My garage is always open. Might even be able to scrape up a cold red for ya somewhere.

The advantage of having the switch and using it to disable the CDL when in low range is not really for towing down the road but for maneuvering/reversing the trailer without causing windup. You have much more precise throttle control in low range when you are trying to reverse up even a slight incline. If the center was locked, as you maneuvered back and forth there would be high stresses placed on all the driveline components because each wheel/axle is wants to move at different speeds, better known as windup. Unlock and all goes smooth allowing the differentials to function they way they were intended. As an example I use low range unlocked everytime I back my boat into the garage. It requires a 90 degree turn into a single szied opening with 1.5" to spare on either side. It requires a lot of steering input to get it just right.

Thanks PPC, that sounds right! :D

Another thing I was thinking on the way home from work. :-\ Don't know if I'm right or not, but here goes. Has anyone ever been in a situation where your front drive line or Diff was messed up to the point where it couldn't be driven or fixed where you were. Another benifit I was thinking about would be the ability to remove the front drive-line completely and limp home. This would only be possible if you could lock the Center Diff. Any thoughts?

Safado,
Yes, you are correct. You can do more than limp since you could put it in high range.
-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom