1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Center Dif Lock

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Vanny, Mar 2, 2007.

1. Vanny

Vanny

I have a question regarding the center dif lock. My 94 does not have lockers or a center dif lock button. Some one mentioned to me that the wiring for the center dif lock is already there, I just need to find a button and install it. Can anyone verify if this is true and is it useful to have the center dif lock without lockers?

2. aim

aim

US '94 80s at least have all the wiring (specifically, mine did). All you need is a switch.
    It is useful to have a center diff lock without F/R lockers *if* you wish to be able to lock the center diff in HI. I find it useful.

There are obviously other fine points that I remember being discussed about 17 months ago by a couple of people. Search?

3. TX_TLC

TX_TLC

Shifting to L on the center diff gear box also locks your center diff. Just with the button you can lock it in H. All equals out to more control over the transfer case.

4. psfpilot

psfpilot

Click on the sig line link below for CDL switch info. You can buy the factory switch from CDan or Slee Offroad, among others.

The search function on this site is great- works every time, sixty percent of the time.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2007
  5. MSGGrunt

MSGGrunt

Also, a $2.00 Toyota Tercel 4-way flasher switch out of a junk yard is a direct plug and play. A simple mod.

6. Mace

Mace rock scientist.. Staff Member s-Moderator

I love that 80 series owners are starting to get imaginative :)

7. jditom

jditom

While you are at it do the 7-pin mode. It's free anf will let you go to low and use your CDL switch to lock or unlock the diffs. This way you have totaly control.

See FAQ section.

8. MDarius

MDarius I break stuff. SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Check the FAQ. CDan hasa GREAT write up on this mod. I did it recently. Way easy. And yes, it's useful for everything from bad weather to 4-wheeling.

9. stevezero

stevezero SILVER Star

Does it have to be a tercel flasher? I got a hazard switch out of a 4 runner or taco in a junkyard on friday, but i havent had a chance to look at the socket.

10. chibo

chibo

I love the fact that I can go to low without locking the center diff all the time; I do all of my offroading in low - second I get off pavement into Low it goes.

11. aim

aim

True, very true. He wasn't asking about the pin 7 mod, though, but about the CDL switch. The switch by itself will not give you unlocked LOW, no?

12. psfpilot

psfpilot

13. chibo

chibo

Ah true, I forgot about that :)

14. Beowulf

Beowulf

The switch by itself will give you complete control over the center diff lock if you unplug the connector on the X-fer case. The highly recommended pin-7 mod does two things; it serves the same purpose as unplugging the connector, and more importantly, it restores the low-range tranny shift pattern that you would otherwise lose when you unplug the xfer case connector.

-B-

15. Wrench

Wrench One Bashed Up 80

Also you can use the hazard switch. It's like 20 bucks.

16. stevezero

stevezero SILVER Star

I was actually posting that from the drivers seat in the junkyard from my crackberry.....searching its a bit of a pain in the butt on that. :grinpimp:

I used an 8801 hazard switch out of a 97 4runner i got from a salvage yard(its the same part number of my "original" hazard switch. I did have to take down a tiny bit of a locating tab on the switch to get it to fully seat on the connector. I also moved my security led and shock sensor to the lower portion of the dash. I paid 7 dollars for 3 switches (hazard, rear defogger, and an hi-low rear heater switch from the 4runner). I also was able to cut about 5 inches of the wiring harness to get the other end of the connectors (for other projects).