Center Dif Lock (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.lentelconstruction.com
I have a question regarding the center dif lock. My 94 does not have lockers or a center dif lock button. Some one mentioned to me that the wiring for the center dif lock is already there, I just need to find a button and install it. Can anyone verify if this is true and is it useful to have the center dif lock without lockers?

US '94 80s at least have all the wiring (specifically, mine did). All you need is a switch.
It is useful to have a center diff lock without F/R lockers *if* you wish to be able to lock the center diff in HI. I find it useful.

There are obviously other fine points that I remember being discussed about 17 months ago by a couple of people. Search?

Shifting to L on the center diff gear box also locks your center diff. Just with the button you can lock it in H. All equals out to more control over the transfer case.

Click on the sig line link below for CDL switch info. You can buy the factory switch from CDan or Slee Offroad, among others.

The search function on this site is great- works every time, sixty percent of the time.

Last edited:
Also, a $2.00 Toyota Tercel 4-way flasher switch out of a junk yard is a direct plug and play. A simple mod.

Also, a $2.00 Toyota Tercel 4-way flasher switch out of a junk yard is a direct plug and play. A simple mod.
I love that 80 series owners are starting to get imaginative :)

While you are at it do the 7-pin mode. It's free anf will let you go to low and use your CDL switch to lock or unlock the diffs. This way you have totaly control.

See FAQ section.

Check the FAQ. CDan hasa GREAT write up on this mod. I did it recently. Way easy. And yes, it's useful for everything from bad weather to 4-wheeling.

Does it have to be a tercel flasher? I got a hazard switch out of a 4 runner or taco in a junkyard on friday, but i havent had a chance to look at the socket.

It is useful to have a center diff lock without F/R lockers *if* you wish to be able to lock the center diff in HI.
I love the fact that I can go to low without locking the center diff all the time; I do all of my offroading in low - second I get off pavement into Low it goes.

I love the fact that I can go to low without locking the center diff all the time; I do all of my offroading in low - second I get off pavement into Low it goes.

True, very true. He wasn't asking about the pin 7 mod, though, but about the CDL switch. The switch by itself will not give you unlocked LOW, no?

Does it have to be a tercel flasher? I got a hazard switch out of a 4 runner or taco in a junkyard on friday, but i havent had a chance to look at the socket.

Click on the sig line link below for CDL switch info. You can buy the factory switch from CDan or Slee Offroad, among others.

The search function on this site is great- works every time, sixty percent of the time.

True, very true. He wasn't asking about the pin 7 mod, though, but about the CDL switch. The switch by itself will not give you unlocked LOW, no?
Ah true, I forgot about that :)

The switch by itself will give you complete control over the center diff lock if you unplug the connector on the X-fer case. The highly recommended pin-7 mod does two things; it serves the same purpose as unplugging the connector, and more importantly, it restores the low-range tranny shift pattern that you would otherwise lose when you unplug the xfer case connector.

-B-

Also you can use the hazard switch. It's like 20 bucks.

I was actually posting that from the drivers seat in the junkyard from my crackberry.....searching its a bit of a pain in the butt on that. :grinpimp:

I used an 8801 hazard switch out of a 97 4runner i got from a salvage yard(its the same part number of my "original" hazard switch. I did have to take down a tiny bit of a locating tab on the switch to get it to fully seat on the connector. I also moved my security led and shock sensor to the lower portion of the dash. I paid 7 dollars for 3 switches (hazard, rear defogger, and an hi-low rear heater switch from the 4runner). I also was able to cut about 5 inches of the wiring harness to get the other end of the connectors (for other projects).

While you are at it do the 7-pin mode. It's free anf will let you go to low and use your CDL switch to lock or unlock the diffs. This way you have totaly control.

See FAQ section.

Can anyone Help ? I installed CDL switch on my 1996 and did the 7 pin upgrade and when I turn the switch on there are no lights no engagement all I hear is a click noise under the dash were I took that 7th pin out can anyone help me DM me thank you

2306FABF-5280-4A1C-9415-2F188107693C.jpeg

Last edited:
Help ? I installed switch on my 1996 and did the 7 pin upgrade and when I turn the switch on no lights no engagement all I hear is a click noise under then dash we’re I took that 7th pin out can anyone help me DM me thank you

View attachment 2525157

With the key in the run position but the truck engine off, do you hear the actuator under the truck, or just the relays?

If you hear the actuator, it’d likely the position switch for the actuator is faulty. If you don’t hear the actuator, the actuator might be sticking and needs to be serviced.

See FAQ section.

Help ? I installed switch on my 1996 and did the 7 pin upgrade and when I turn the switch on no lights no engagement all I hear is a click noise under then dash we’re I took that 7th pin out can anyone help me DM me thank
With the key in the run position but the truck engine off, do you hear the actuator under the truck, or just the relays?

If you hear the actuator, it’d likely the position switch for the actuator is faulty. If you don’t hear the actuator, the actuator might be sticking and needs to be serviced.

I here a click under the dash by my braking foot when car is on or off when I turn the switch on I’m sure my rig has ABS because the light comes on when I turn on truck

Help ? I installed switch on my 1996 and did the 7 pin upgrade and when I turn the switch on no lights no engagement all I hear is a click noise under then dash we’re I took that 7th pin out can anyone help me DM me thank

I here a click under the dash by my braking foot when car is on or off when I turn the switch on I’m sure my rig has ABS because the light comes on when I turn on truck

If you don’t hear the actuator motor running under the truck, I would start there. Unplug the actuator and put direct power to terminals 2 & 3. In the row of wires on the connector with only two, the middle is 2, the other one is 3. Hook positive to 3 and negative to 2. If this makes the actuator run, then your problem is probably elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom