Adding center diff lock switch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Search is your friend, but a tip is to use Google, as the forum function isn't always great. Virtually everything has been pretty well covered, and the FAQ section is a great place to start for anything you could want to know.

Super easy to add the switch. Only a little bit to take off the dash/climate control assembly. Once you get behind it, you'll find a loose white plug with a cap over it, and some foam. You will typically want to relocate the alarm light to the bottom where there is currently a blank (if you have an alarm), and run the CDL switch up top. It is plug & play. Your exact dash configuration may vary.

You can use an actual CDL switch, but it's the same as a hazard switch, which can be had for cheaper. I bought a hazard switch for $20 and made my own CDL icon for it.

IMG_0480.jpeg

Here is a guide from slee on adding the switch

And here is the optional pin 7 mod, which you ONLY want to do if you first add a CDL switch. Normally when you shift into low range, it automatically locks the center diff. By removing pin 7 in this connector, it disrupts that signal and leaves the diff open, which is sometimes useful in low range on tight trails. With the CDL switch added and pin 7 removed, you have total manual control over the center diff in both high and low range. It's not "necessary," but it's free and reversible.

Last edited:
Search is your friend, but a tip is to use Google, as the forum function isn't always great. Virtually everything has been pretty well covered, and the FAQ section is a great place to start for anything you could want to know.

Super easy to add the switch. Only a little bit to take off the dash/climate control assembly. Once you get behind it, you'll find a loose white plug with a cap over it, and some foam. You will typically want to relocate the alarm light to the bottom where there is currently a blank (if you have an alarm), and run the CDL switch up top. It is plug & play. Your exact dash configuration may vary.

You can use an actual CDL switch, but it's the same as a hazard switch, which can be had for cheaper. I bought a hazard switch for $20 and made my own CDL icon for it.

View attachment 3485186

Here is a guide from slee on adding the switch

And here is the optional pin 7 mod, which you ONLY want to do if you first add a CDL switch. Normally when you shift into low range, it automatically locks the center diff. By removing pin 7 in this connector, it disrupts that signal and leaves the diff open, which is sometimes useful in low range on tight trails. With the CDL switch added and pin 7 removed, you have total manual control over the center diff in both high and low range. It's not "necessary," but it's free and reversible.

I appreciate thanks, also how does this effect the vehicle at hwy speed?

All this does is allow you to lock the center diff in high range. If you can drive at highway speed - meaning it's not very slippery - you don't need it, and shouldn't use it. The stock full-time 4wd system (center diff unlocked) is plenty for most conditions.

I only lock the center if roads are particularly snowy or loose, but I don't think I've ever "needed" it. The main thing I feel (which is subtle) is the vehicle tracks a bit better in snow. Feels just a little more planted, since there is no slip from front to rear when it's locked.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom