CDL Woes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.37trees.com
Newbie here...sorry if this is totally trivial.

First off, i have searched the archives on this and found a good bit of info...but still have an error.

on my '96 '80 i have not been able to get the center diff light on the dash to light, and therefore, have not been able to get the front or rear lockers to engage.

What i have done so far - shift into low and drive around, make turns etc. (it seems to be in low as it is pulling much harder and shifting differently) - no dash light.

I have pulled the input into the t-case on the front by the drive shaft and shorted across it with a paper clip. I get a clicking in the DS kick panel, but still no light. I have checked all fuses and they seem to be good.

Any suggestions on how to proceed next?

I, along with you am having the same problem. when i put the truck in low the CDL does not lock as it should. i have checked all plugs under the car and nothing seems wrong. all the fuses are fine, the only thing i can think of is the actuator. i have driven it in cirlce for over 10 min on ice and dirt in low trying to get it to lock up but nothing and as you said i here the clicking sound coming form the kick panel as well. if i find anything out i will get back to you. i may just take it in soon if i can find time.

Turn the key on without starting the motor and lock the CDL in L or with the CDL switch.
When my light wasn't comming on I could still hear tha actuator noise.
I just drove around locking and unlocking the CDL (I have the CDL switch)while shifting into N while coasting. It locked one time when I put it into N. Works fine after that.
Does your ABS light come on?

My ABS light does not come on either.

landtoy. i have a question. i just went out turn the key like you said and put the 80 in low. i can hear the incuator i guess moving. i assume this mean the diff lcok indicator switch is working and the acuator is working properly. i started it up but still now center diff lock light or ABS light. is it possible the fr and rr lockers are just stuck and i need to drive in circles for a long time or is there something i need to look into. thanks

The actuator can work and still not lock the center diff.
THere is a plug next to the actuator towards the front of the t-case it has a big nut where it screws into the t-case, that's the indicator for the CDL. Unplug it put a wire in both terminals of the plug. Turn the key on and your CDL should light up along with the diff lockers if they are locked.
If you need a pic of the indicator let me know.

sure a pic would be nice just in case. also if this is the problem would replacing the switch be the fix. and if this isnt it what would one do next. i have emailed my local dealer and am talking to them bout getting a replacement switch.

Shorting those 2 pins doesn't mean the switch is bad. It might not be completely engaged. I think Landtoy was experiencing this. Then once it engaged completely he was on his way. If you can hear the actuator then I'd engage/disengage repeatedly. Kind of working the mechanism back and forth hoping to get it moving back and forth completely.

This would be easier if you have the CDL switch installed as you could do this while driving slowly in a dirt parking lot in a slight circle.

alright tank. one thing though. how long should i hear the acuator doing something if it is working properlly. i hear it for maybe 2 second then its over. should it go longer than that

The actuator turns a big spring. The big spring moves the fork that locks the center diff. Same with the diffs. It only makes a sound for a second.

The indicator. It has a ball on the end that pushes up closing the circuit, turning the CDL light on dash.
If you don't have one :D use a wire to short the plug. Turn the key "on" and the CLD and ABS light should come on.

landtoy...where on the t-case does the switch reside? What I can't get from your pics is where this stuff is when it is attached to an 80 - hope i am not being too inept here.

When under the t-case look for the front drive shaft. You will see the front output housing where the driveshaft ends.
Look between the frame and the t-case and you will see some wires and plugs. You should see the indicator and the actuator. It is on top of the housing.

if i put in the cdl switch is that going to help me debug my problem at all? Am i correct in assuming that with the switch you can just push it in and the CDL is supposed to lock - regardless of which gear (H or L) the shifter is in?

hpantier,
check through the search for cdl differences posted on dec 5 of last year I was chasing mine down (still havent figured it out) in it you will find photos of the actuator and the relay. mine is a 92 but it looks almost identical to what you are looking for.
for ch05 it should only engage for aobut 2 seconds that is normal.
Dave

ok. went out and tried shorting the indicator to ge the lights to come on. nothing. i tried several times might i ad. Does any one have any idea what could be the problem and why my CDL wotn lock when shifting into low or is it possible it is going into CDL, a bulb is out and i need to drive around in circles to get thr ff and rr to lock? any help is much appreciated.

which plug did you short?

I too have been having problems (and have been following all the threads and posted a few times also)

I haven't gotten the chance to short the switch or check the sensor, but I know my CDL actuator IS working AND locking.
Also the sensor HAS to be working (maybe intermittant?) as the CDL / ABS lights come on fine the last 5 times I was up in the snow the past month or so.

Recently, it has been working when shifted into low and I whack the shifter with the butt of my palm a few times. That seems to make a difference. F/R lockers work great afterward.

Lights weren't working hardly at all. It was locking though as I tested it in gravel and snow. (I got wheel scrub w/ it locked and none when un-locked)

I changed the transfer fluid thinking *maybe* there was water or something in there causing issues. The last part of the fluid that came out was very thick and black. I changed the fluid with Redline 75-90 when I bought it about 6k-7k miles ago. I put the same back in. I have no idea if this helped or not, but now it's working *better*

CDL and ABS lights are still is not lighting up when the CDL switch is pushed though.

I'm wondering where the wiring for all this runs? Is it possible I have an intermittant short that is somewhat fixed when the shifter is in low and jiggled?
Does the wiring run anywhere near the transfercase shifter?

Sorry this turned into a long post ::)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom