1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CB radios and scanners

Discussion in 'VA/DC/MD- Capital Land Cruiser Club' started by topherbecker, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Luthier

Luthier

Ed HAM's re-tune Firestik's for use on the 10 meter HF band (28 mhz - 29.7 mhz) which is just above the CB band. We are limited to 1500 watts on that band although few run that much power when mobile. So the published 700 watt limit is actually useful data to some of us.

Regards
    -- Eugene

2. emorth

emorth

Yep. Roger that. My 10 meter antenna is currently being used as a CB antenna. Don't tell anyone. :)

73s Ed WA3TOL

3. Devilmans Hand

Devilmans Hand TLCA #19517

Media:
    Albums:
    thought this was an interesting article worthy of sharing.
    It deals with adding ground straps on everything attached to the vehicle.
    Bonding Mobile Installations

4. emorth

emorth

Very Good!!!! :)

5. KliersLC

KliersLC

I used to have one of those Uniden pr units. No complaints and it transmitted very well. I also like the front firing speaker models for a flush mount Option.

I have a Cobra 18 with a 2ft fiberglass antenna from a truck stop. I think I had better luck than anybody on the trail ride. My antenna is mounted to the ARB.

6. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden

I've used one of those with a cheapo magnet antenna. It worked just fine (I didn't tune it). I need to get a new antenna though (looking at Firestick) and figure out how I want to mount it.

7. winstonclein

winstonclein

Media:
    Albums:
    Great threat.
    Thanks for info.

8. artwerks

artwerks

Ed, et al,
    Why is the fiberglass antenna the best? Does it bend like the other antennas?
    I park my truck in the garage and it already barely fits (clears the garage door by like 1/4"!); therefore, I'll probably have to bend the antenna down when not in use. I'm afraid the fiberglass antenna requires a spring-mount and will only bend at the spring mount limiting my ability to bend down the antenna when not in use.

TIA,
    Aj

9. Devilmans Hand

Devilmans Hand TLCA #19517

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm no expert by any means, and I think the fiberglass stick antennae are desired because of the way they're wrapped with wire and how a greater length of wire is wrapped at the top 1/3 of the fiberglass putting more wire up higher. I believe that a whip antenna will work better overall, but will have a greater height per length wire when compared to a fiberglass stick type. The whip will be more flexible and have a greater chance of snagging on trees/brush and smacking someone in the face.
    A com officer friend says that they get better results by dragging speaker wire behind their vehicles, but I'd think it would get ripped off quick while offroading.the fiberglass sticks have some bend in them and the spring mounts are cheap. Quick disconnects are available too if overall height into a garage is of concern.

10. PEGUSAS

PEGUSAS

I did quite a bit of research on Mud to decide what to buy. Looks like a lot of mudders loved the Uniden 520XL. So that is what I went with. The guys at Auto Outfitters in Manassas mounted it for me on the middle console next to the emergency break. I also had them intall the PA speaker under the hood - only cost another $20. They mounted a 2' firestick antena on the passenger side of the jam of the rear hatch with a stainless steel bracket. The antena clears the roof by a few inches. I have not had a chance to test the range yet. I might need to move to a 3' antena with a spring. They tuned the antena as well.

11. PEGUSAS

PEGUSAS

Well, had a chance to test the CB yesterday on Rt 81 - the antena was not high enough above the roof line to give me reception/transmission of more than 1 mile and the transmission/reception was terrible. I also went on trails that same day and branches were scrapping the roof. Unfortuately the firestick was getting caught in the branches. While there is some flex on these firestick antenas - it is not enough to handle branches that scape the roof of the rig. I went back to Auto Outfitters today. Scott installed the longer 3' firestick and added a spring to the base of the mount to allow the antena to flex when going under branches. Now the antena extendes 1'+ above the roof line and can handle me going on trails with over hanging branches. Scott and I then tested the range as I drove for home. I checked in with him at every mile marker along Rt 66 East. I had crysal clear communications for 3 miles, decent communications at 4 miles and could still communicate at 5 miles. Very pleased now with the performance now. I recommend this configuration.

Note that per Scott at Auto Outfitters, he has had clients who have mounted their antenas on the front bumper and received tickets from Virginia State Police. They stated that the antena on the front bumper blocked the vision of the driver.

12. Jakes40

Jakes40 IH8MUD Poser SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    That's good info to have!

Chris

13. Black Op

Black Op

Media:
    Albums:
    Great feed back thanks for the info.

14. johnsnowkornar

johnsnowkornar

Simply thinking about whether any club individuals who have guard mounted recieving wires have any gathering issues? Midland is another brand that is exceptionally prevalent and has a similar decent quality that Unden does.
    Best CB Radio Reviews

15. chudly

chudly

I'm using this guy
    http://amzn.to/2vsW4jM
    worked great on the trail

Using it along with a 4 ft firestik mounted on the back