Caught in a Flooded parking lot - need advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

USAA is my carrier and it was just a normal policy. They actually offered closer to 29. Im still doing some work around it and have not made a decision. USAA said fine to cancel the claim anytime in next few months. I think they are going to let me drive it out for a bit and see if anything else is damaged and make a call then. The rear seats were folded down and absorbed a lot of dirty water (oils / sewages / etc) from the floods. This was not clean river water in any way. I get the comments about being crazy to turn this in. Trust me I do. That being said I do have some rust on this (east coast living) and to get over 30K (they actually pay the 8.75% sales tax bringing it to 32) and finding a rust free version is very tempting.
Dude, take the money. If that check comes out to 32k, take the money. Find a rig from California that’s rust free and has never been off road. Maybe you throw an other $5k at it and you’ve got a solid vehicle and you know it’s smog compliant and operable because Cali has such strict standards. Not that NY is much different.

Take the money. In five years when that sewage water has baked into hidden crevasses and you can’t for the life of you get rid of the smell you’ll be glad you took their offer. And I am 100% on board with doing nutty things to save these trucks from scrap yards. This deal is a no brainer IMHO. You could spend $30k just paying someone to deal with rust a paint.

USAA is my carrier and it was just a normal policy. They actually offered closer to 29. Im still doing some work around it and have not made a decision. USAA said fine to cancel the claim anytime in next few months. I think they are going to let me drive it out for a bit and see if anything else is damaged and make a call then. The rear seats were folded down and absorbed a lot of dirty water (oils / sewages / etc) from the floods. This was not clean river water in any way. I get the comments about being crazy to turn this in. Trust me I do. That being said I do have some rust on this (east coast living) and to get over 30K (they actually pay the 8.75% sales tax bringing it to 32) and finding a rust free version is very tempting.
Take the money and buy a better one!

Take the $$ and buy back your baby and get another one! Also, run some lines from your diffs and TC up to the engine compartment and cap them with plastic fuel filters. I would not be surprised if you didn't get any water intrusion anyhow, but better make sure.

Curious as to how you have it insured…is it stated value or? I’m shocked that insurance offered that much out of the gate…
My thoughts exactly

Option 1
Take the $$$ and buy yours back
Option 2
Take the money and start a new to you 6x

2 options here

Let it go

Let them total it with a "keep" value. Take said difference in keep and make it the LC you always wanted it to be. Yes...it will have a salvage to rebuilt title but who cares if it's something you have no intention of ever selling

I wanted to try and take some money and buy it back but NY State law (new since hurricane Sandy) says they don't allow flooded cars to be bought back. I'm out driving it today and it stills runs great but as I said there is rust and stuff and 30k would go a long way towards a great new one. But just hate giving up a great cruiser that I've put a lot of work into over the years.

I wanted to try and take some money and buy it back but NY State law (new since hurricane Sandy) says they don't allow flooded cars to be bought back. I'm out driving it today and it stills runs great but as I said there is rust and stuff and 30k would go a long way towards a great new one. But just hate giving up a great cruiser that I've put a lot of work into over the years.
Be done with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom